2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + Win10 [Alec]  

of  4
  RSS

hawxxer
(@hawxxer)

Hi, great work thank you so far!

Can you upload some Benchmarks (I'm especially interested in cinebench r15, searching for results with a 1080 for very long)?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)

I have Windows 10 running in a Boot Camp partition on my 2013 Mac Pro. Some of the steps to get the Razer Core to work with your MacBook Pro do not apply. Can you provide guidance for getting the Razer Core to work on the 2013 Mac Pro?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
milkyjoe2
(@milkyjoe2)
Eminent Member

help, i have a M370X 2015 MBP, i use it only in windows boot camp for everything including gaming. i bought an akitio node, connected over thunderbolt 2, (with a tb3tb2 adapter). 

i see the 1080 recognised in device manager with no error symbol, msi afterburner sees the 1080, nvidia graphics driver installed (but wouldn't until the egpu was connected), but GTA V (the only game i have ) continues to use the M370x, even if i disable it in device manager. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: milkyjoe2

help, i have a M370X 2015 MBP, i use it only in windows boot camp for everything including gaming. i bought an akitio node, connected over thunderbolt 2, (with a tb3tb2 adapter). 

i see the 1080 recognised in device manager with no error symbol, msi afterburner sees the 1080, nvidia graphics driver installed (but wouldn't until the egpu was connected), but GTA V (the only game i have ) continues to use the M370x, even if i disable it in device manager. 

I assume you tried the OPs instructions to accelerate the internal display?

If that did not work, try changing the PhysX settings in the NVIDIA settings panel to use the processor.

Connecting an external display to the 1080 (if you can) will probably work.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
milkyjoe2
(@milkyjoe2)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Alec

I've managed to get a GTX 1080 fully working on my internal display. My MacBook is the 15" with Radeon Pro 450. There will be a guide in the near future. Basically, all you have to do is get the iGPU enabled, disable a few devices in device manager and install your drivers. Everything is perfectly stable with a solid 55+ fps in Black Ops 3 everything maxed.

Other games tested (maxed out; no AA; all native resolutions)

GTA V (40 fps in grassy areas, 60+ fps elsewhere)
Space Engine (60+fps except during texture and detail loading)
NBA 2K17 (only around 30 FPS, for some reason my older M370X MacBook AMD card performed better)
Dolphin Emulator (solid 60+ FPS with shader and texture enhancements)
Minecraft (100+ FPS, shaders around 45 FPS) 

Quick Guide

1. Download and install rEFInd on MacOS
  2. Grab a copy of  apple_set_os.efi
  3. Move the .efi file into /boot/efi/EFI/custom
  4. Reboot
  5. Run the EFI (you will see a small flash) and boot into Windows
  6. Install your Intel 530 drivers
  7. Connect the eGPU & install Nvidia or AMD drivers
  8. Get gpu-switch
  9. Reboot
  10. Disconnect eGPU
  11. Boot into Windows after running your EFI file again
  12. Disable your dGPU, associated audio device and PCIe Controller (x4)
  13. Reboot into EFI manager

You should now be all set for action! All of the following steps must be followed every time you want to use your eGPU.

1. Boot into Windows
  2. Run integrated.bat as administrator
  3. Reboot
  4. Run the EFI again and boot into Windows
  5. Plug in your eGPU around a second after the Windows logo appears 

If everything goes correctly, you should have full GPU acceleration on your internal display. I haven't tested the external, but it should work fine. Make sure to run dedicated.bat whenever you want to boot back into MacOS. You'll be stuck at the loading bar otherwise.

A quick notice I want to bring up is that you may not have access to the Nvidia control panel or other features. This is due to a conflict with the AMD drivers. A fix for me was to reinstall Windows 10 via the recovery manager without the bootcamp drivers. You could give the DDU (display driver uninstaller) a shot.

alec, did you try uninstalling the m370x drivers? if there is conflict with them as you say

ReplyQuote
Shion1048
(@shion1048)

Hello.

I am Japanese PC mania.

I read this wonderful forum and I was able to make eGPU a success.

I am grateful to this forum and experts with wonderful abilities.

I am using 2016 MBP 15 inch RP 455 and akitio NODE + GTX 1080 ti.

It is not cheap shopping for me.

Thanks to the existence of this forum, I was able to succeed.

I am not good at English. I would like to be useful for someone about eGPU way of using MBP 2016 and NODE.

I will put the addresses of Skype and gmail here.

F.side17.livingstone@gmail.com

Well then!

Thanks to all the eGPU fans.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4