2016 15" Macbook Pro RP450 + [email protected] (Razer Core) + GTX1080 internal LCD + Win10 [alec]^  

RSS

Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
November 30, 2016 8:07 am  

I've managed to get a GTX 1080 fully working on my internal display. My MacBook is the 15" with Radeon Pro 450. There will be a guide in the near future. Basically, all you have to do is get the iGPU enabled, disable a few devices in device manager and install your drivers. Everything is perfectly stable with a solid 55+ fps in Black Ops 3 everything maxed.

Other games tested (maxed out; no AA; all native resolutions)

GTA V (40 fps in grassy areas, 60+ fps elsewhere)
Space Engine (60+fps except during texture and detail loading)
NBA 2K17 (only around 30 FPS, for some reason my older M370X MacBook AMD card performed better)
Dolphin Emulator (solid 60+ FPS with shader and texture enhancements)
Minecraft (100+ FPS, shaders around 45 FPS) 

Quick Guide

1. Download and install rEFInd on MacOS
  2. Grab a copy of  apple_set_os.efi
  3. Move the .efi file into /boot/efi/EFI/custom
  4. Reboot
  5. Run the EFI (you will see a small flash) and boot into Windows
  6. Install your Intel 530 drivers
  7. Connect the eGPU & install Nvidia or AMD drivers
  8. Get gpu-switch
  9. Reboot
  10. Disconnect eGPU
  11. Boot into Windows after running your EFI file again
  12. Disable your dGPU, associated audio device and PCIe Controller (x4)
  13. Reboot into EFI manager

You should now be all set for action! All of the following steps must be followed every time you want to use your eGPU.

1. Boot into Windows
  2. Run integrated.bat as administrator
  3. Reboot
  4. Run the EFI again and boot into Windows
  5. Plug in your eGPU around a second after the Windows logo appears 

If everything goes correctly, you should have full GPU acceleration on your internal display. I haven't tested the external, but it should work fine. Make sure to run dedicated.bat whenever you want to boot back into MacOS. You'll be stuck at the loading bar otherwise.

A quick notice I want to bring up is that you may not have access to the Nvidia control panel or other features. This is due to a conflict with the AMD drivers. A fix for me was to reinstall Windows 10 via the recovery manager without the bootcamp drivers. You could give the DDU (display driver uninstaller) a shot.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL, luminous0426, Yukikaze and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 30, 2016 3:41 pm  

Very good to hear there's progress with Windows on these TB3 MacBook Pro laptops!

Can you save the vBIOS of your Radeon Pro 450 and upload it here? I'm involved in the Mac Pro tower community as well and we've been waiting to take a peek at the EFI of the new Radeon Pro GPUs for possible Boot Screen hacks on off-the-shelf PC GPUs.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
November 30, 2016 7:16 pm  

Based on a few successful egpu reports like this with the Razer Core, I've finally pulled the trigger on a new 13" MBP TB. Hopefully Razer will still have some in stock by the time my machine arrives! 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
bryankerr
(@bryankerr)
December 3, 2016 11:53 pm  

Hello! Long story short i had a 2014 MBP + BizonBox and it worked awesome, then i spilled water on the MBP. So i "upgraded" to a new MBP

Ive got a 2016 15" MBP i'm trying to connect to a BizonBox 2S + GTX 1060. Not having any luck, do you have any methods available? I'm running Win10 on bootcamp.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
December 4, 2016 9:47 am  

Guess I need to get to work on my guide. 😀

It's not too difficult once you figure out how to do it through trial and error. Basically, you have to enable the integrated and install the Intel drivers, install your Nvidia drivers, disable the dGPU and its audio device, disable the PCI (x4) controller in device manager and plug in your eGPU a second after the Windows icon appears. 

These are all the primary steps, but doing it in the wrong order will not work, so I'll have something way more comprehensive soon.

ReplyQuote
Trajans Row
(@trajans-row)
December 5, 2016 2:39 am  

Alec, have you found that all thunderbolt 2 and 3 chassis need to be connected only after the Windows logo appears on the 2016 MBP, or do some configurations not require that?

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
December 5, 2016 2:44 am  

Hey Alec

hows that guide coming along I an very interested in a eGPU and I was going to go for the BizonBOX 3 thunderbolt 3 version until I found out it doesn't support windows yet only Mac OS for the macbook pro 15 inch with touch bar, so now I am looking at other options but the razor core if that will work in windows I will be happy so  guide that shows me this woudl be helpfull in making my decision 🙂

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
December 5, 2016 7:14 am  
Posted by: Trajans Row

Alec, have you found that all thunderbolt 2 and 3 chassis need to be connected only after the Windows logo appears on the 2016 MBP, or do some configurations not require that?

I've only tried TB3 with the Razer Core.

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
December 5, 2016 7:16 am  

The Razer Core works perfectly fine on Windows. I'm pretty sure other TB3 devices will work as well.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
December 5, 2016 10:54 pm  

do you have a guide on how to make it work?

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
December 6, 2016 6:56 am  

o there is a Guide already on how to get the razer core working with the macbook pro 15 inch since Alec was too lazy to make one I found one that was already done

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5a6z8s/my_experience_with_the_new_13_mbp_and_the_razer/

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2016 4:21 am  

Yes, gaming on the GTX 1080 has definitely made me lazy. 😀

A full guide is now up. Let me know if it works or needs any tweaks.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
December 8, 2016 6:08 am  

That Guide will work with any thunderbolt 3 eGPU I would say not just the razer Core.

I may try this with the BizonBox 3 with my macbook pro 2016 15 inch when it arrives at the moment the bizonbox 3 thunderbolt 3 egpu only support Mac OS on the 15 inch model but I think this guide will allow windows to work with it as well.

But good guide.

ReplyQuote
demon151
(@demon151)
December 10, 2016 10:05 am  

Hi everyone

I'm the new user of macos and now i'm planning to buy a macbook pro 13" late 2016 with touchbar for work and mac enviroment but i'm concern that does the razer core will work on bootcamp windows10 ???? Just plug and play or some technique ???

ReplyQuote
wwpokenet
(@wwpokenet)
December 30, 2016 8:02 pm  

Hey, Alec. I have an mbp with pro 460. Every time after I run the Apple_os_set.efi and then booting into windows will be failed. I think if it has something about the version of windows ? What's your windows version ? Do you have any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Bryant129
(@bryant129)
December 30, 2016 8:12 pm  

This might be a noobie question, so I apologize but how do I install rEFInd on MacOS

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
January 2, 2017 7:01 am  
Posted by: wwpokenet

Hey, Alec. I have an mbp with pro 460. Every time after I run the Apple_os_set.efi and then booting into windows will be failed. I think if it has something about the version of windows ? What's your windows version ? Do you have any suggestions?

Did you follow all the previous steps?

ReplyQuote
Alec
 Alec
(@alec)
Eminent Member
January 2, 2017 7:01 am  
Posted by: Bryant129

This might be a noobie question, so I apologize but how do I install rEFInd on MacOS

Just download the program files and run refind-install.

ReplyQuote
wwpokenet
(@wwpokenet)
January 4, 2017 1:39 pm  

Yes. I found that before I install bootcamp drivers I can easily use apple_set_os.efi and boot into Windows. But things go wrong after I installed bootcamp drivers. 

I also noticed that after I run the efi and boot into Windows, installing bootcamp drivers(particularly the AMD graphics drivers) would be failed, which led to black screen and reboot. 

ReplyQuote
Creativity
(@creativity)
January 12, 2017 8:24 am  

I'm also having issues with booting into windows with efi loaded so I booted windows under safe mode then I installed the iGPU drivers. However, I can't seem to boot again after enabling iGPU using GPU switcher. My MacBook is with 2.7 GHz with 455

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 12, 2017 8:29 am  

@Creativity, pls review the following thread for tips on getting a successful bootup: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/#post-36

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
wwpokenet
(@wwpokenet)
January 12, 2017 4:05 pm  
Posted by: Creativity

I'm also having issues with booting into windows with efi loaded so I booted windows under safe mode then I installed the iGPU drivers. However, I can't seem to boot again after enabling iGPU using GPU switcher. My MacBook is with 2.7 GHz with 455

Same problem with you. I even cannot light up my monitor after switching to iGPU and install drivers. I have to reset my NVRAM and SMC to fix it. I would like to be informed if you solve this issue.

ReplyQuote
RBmac
(@rbmac)
January 13, 2017 1:41 am  

I had this issue also but using display driver uninstaller to remove the AMD drivers solved that (on a clean install after installing bootcamp drivers).  

However, following the remaining steps, I still see the AMD display driver and my 980Ti (isntalled in core) has the error status 12 code.  May have to go back to my DSDT fix and accept test mode unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
mdr1a
(@mdr1a)
January 16, 2017 3:17 pm  

HI! After run the EFI  and boot into Windows, I install the graphic driver downloaded from intel website, I got a error message.

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

My MacBook Pro 15' 2015 equipped with 4th generation i7 , I've downloaded few different drivers it always show up this message.

2015 15" Macbook Pro M370x + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 & macOS 10.12.2

ReplyQuote
wwpokenet
(@wwpokenet)
January 17, 2017 9:01 am  
Posted by: mdr1a

HI! After run the EFI  and boot into Windows, I install the graphic driver downloaded from intel website, I got a error message.

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

My MacBook Pro 15' 2015 equipped with 4th generation i7 , I've downloaded few different drivers it always show up this message.

Can you see new device in device manager?

ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)
February 8, 2017 2:18 pm  

I have the Razer Core that I was running on the Razer Blade Stealth (which I recently sold). I now have the 2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch and was able to get the Razer Core working under macOS Sierra with the GTX 680 Mac Edition installed. A bit flaky and not the ultimate GPU. I'm considering installing Windows 10 in a Boot Camp partition so I can run the GTX 1080 although I'd be happy to get the GTX 980 Ti working in the Razer Core under both macOS and Windows. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
February 8, 2017 4:36 pm  
Posted by: barefeats

I have the Razer Core that I was running on the Razer Blade Stealth (which I recently sold). I now have the 2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch and was able to get the Razer Core working under macOS Sierra with the GTX 680 Mac Edition installed. A bit flaky and not the ultimate GPU. I'm considering installing Windows 10 in a Boot Camp partition so I can run the GTX 1080 although I'd be happy to get the GTX 980 Ti working in the Razer Core under both macOS and Windows. Any suggestions?

The best 980TI Cards are Gigabyte's GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming and  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC GAMING

980 Ti have the same performance as 1070 - more info -

980 have the same performance as 1060 - more info -

So the 980 TI is the best video card for macOS feat. Windows 10 right now!

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
February 8, 2017 4:41 pm  

As a side note, I'd take a look here. We have a discussion going on the best OS X eGPUs. Since it looks like the GTX7XX driver is significantly better than the GTX9XX driver for OS X, it might be that a used GTX780Ti is the better OS X card based off performance. Of course, most games are Windows-based, so the point is a bit moot if most gaming will be done on the Windows side of things.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
marpid
(@marpid)
February 10, 2017 10:21 pm  

Can I ask for a screenshot of the set of things that I need to disable? I'm getting a little bit confused. Thanks in advance. 

ReplyQuote
Tongefactor40
(@tongefactor40)
February 12, 2017 5:10 am  

Has anyone gotten efi fix to work with an amd rx card? Trying to get my rx 480 working.  

ReplyQuote
hawxxer
(@hawxxer)
February 22, 2017 5:25 pm  

Hi, great work thank you so far!

Can you upload some Benchmarks (I'm especially interested in cinebench r15, searching for results with a 1080 for very long)?

ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)
March 29, 2017 2:11 pm  

I have Windows 10 running in a Boot Camp partition on my 2013 Mac Pro. Some of the steps to get the Razer Core to work with your MacBook Pro do not apply. Can you provide guidance for getting the Razer Core to work on the 2013 Mac Pro?

ReplyQuote
milkyjoe2
(@milkyjoe2)
Eminent Member
April 15, 2017 11:17 pm  

help, i have a M370X 2015 MBP, i use it only in windows boot camp for everything including gaming. i bought an akitio node, connected over thunderbolt 2, (with a tb3tb2 adapter). 

i see the 1080 recognised in device manager with no error symbol, msi afterburner sees the 1080, nvidia graphics driver installed (but wouldn't until the egpu was connected), but GTA V (the only game i have ) continues to use the M370x, even if i disable it in device manager. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 15, 2017 11:41 pm  
Posted by: milkyjoe2

help, i have a M370X 2015 MBP, i use it only in windows boot camp for everything including gaming. i bought an akitio node, connected over thunderbolt 2, (with a tb3tb2 adapter). 

i see the 1080 recognised in device manager with no error symbol, msi afterburner sees the 1080, nvidia graphics driver installed (but wouldn't until the egpu was connected), but GTA V (the only game i have ) continues to use the M370x, even if i disable it in device manager. 

I assume you tried the OPs instructions to accelerate the internal display?

If that did not work, try changing the PhysX settings in the NVIDIA settings panel to use the processor.

Connecting an external display to the 1080 (if you can) will probably work.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
milkyjoe2
(@milkyjoe2)
Eminent Member
April 16, 2017 8:54 pm  
Posted by: Alec

I've managed to get a GTX 1080 fully working on my internal display. My MacBook is the 15" with Radeon Pro 450. There will be a guide in the near future. Basically, all you have to do is get the iGPU enabled, disable a few devices in device manager and install your drivers. Everything is perfectly stable with a solid 55+ fps in Black Ops 3 everything maxed.

Other games tested (maxed out; no AA; all native resolutions)

GTA V (40 fps in grassy areas, 60+ fps elsewhere)
Space Engine (60+fps except during texture and detail loading)
NBA 2K17 (only around 30 FPS, for some reason my older M370X MacBook AMD card performed better)
Dolphin Emulator (solid 60+ FPS with shader and texture enhancements)
Minecraft (100+ FPS, shaders around 45 FPS) 

Quick Guide

1. Download and install rEFInd on MacOS
  2. Grab a copy of  apple_set_os.efi
  3. Move the .efi file into /boot/efi/EFI/custom
  4. Reboot
  5. Run the EFI (you will see a small flash) and boot into Windows
  6. Install your Intel 530 drivers
  7. Connect the eGPU & install Nvidia or AMD drivers
  8. Get gpu-switch
  9. Reboot
  10. Disconnect eGPU
  11. Boot into Windows after running your EFI file again
  12. Disable your dGPU, associated audio device and PCIe Controller (x4)
  13. Reboot into EFI manager

You should now be all set for action! All of the following steps must be followed every time you want to use your eGPU.

1. Boot into Windows
  2. Run integrated.bat as administrator
  3. Reboot
  4. Run the EFI again and boot into Windows
  5. Plug in your eGPU around a second after the Windows logo appears 

If everything goes correctly, you should have full GPU acceleration on your internal display. I haven't tested the external, but it should work fine. Make sure to run dedicated.bat whenever you want to boot back into MacOS. You'll be stuck at the loading bar otherwise.

A quick notice I want to bring up is that you may not have access to the Nvidia control panel or other features. This is due to a conflict with the AMD drivers. A fix for me was to reinstall Windows 10 via the recovery manager without the bootcamp drivers. You could give the DDU (display driver uninstaller) a shot.

alec, did you try uninstalling the m370x drivers? if there is conflict with them as you say

ReplyQuote
Shion1048
(@shion1048)
May 3, 2017 10:29 pm  

Hello.

I am Japanese PC mania.

I read this wonderful forum and I was able to make eGPU a success.

I am grateful to this forum and experts with wonderful abilities.

I am using 2016 MBP 15 inch RP 455 and akitio NODE + GTX 1080 ti.

It is not cheap shopping for me.

Thanks to the existence of this forum, I was able to succeed.

I am not good at English. I would like to be useful for someone about eGPU way of using MBP 2016 and NODE.

I will put the addresses of Skype and gmail here.

[email protected]

Well then!

Thanks to all the eGPU fans.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote