Setup & Software Discussions
2012 13" MacBook Pro Retina [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1080 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AORUS Gamin...

2012 13" MacBook Pro Retina [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1080 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [tea]  

RSS

tea
 tea
(@tea)

I originally was looking for a new notebook with Thunderbolt 3 so I can use an eGPU. I found on this website that I could use an TB3>TB2 adapter. Now I'm using my old Macbook to play new games on the highest settings.

System specs

Late-2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 -3520M
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L
256 GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000
2x Thunderbolt 1
Running Windows 10

eGPU hardware
Aorus  GTX 1080 Gaming Box
Apple TB3 > TB2 Adapter
6' TB2 Cable 

Hardware pictures

Not working
USB Hub on the Aorus Gaming Box
The 2 small fans are not running.

Installation steps
This looks like the first entry with a Late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina on this forum as I couldn't find another post. I have no MacOS partition, if you want to delete MacOS completely, don't forget to save the Bootcamp drivers first.

Disable SIP - You can boot in the "Internet Recovery Mode", press CMD + ALT + R after power on. Open the terminal and execute the command csrutil disable

Installe rEFInd, see http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
Use apple_set_os.efi, this is a bit unclear to me. I placed it in \EFI\Boot and renamed it to bootx64.efi before doing the rename I renamed the original bootx64.efi to windows64.efi not sure if I just could delete it.

I couldn't find any information about how to get the USB ports on the Aorus Gaming Box working.

Benchmarks
3Dmark 11 P10088 (external)
3Dmark 11 P9412 (internal)

Comments
Installing  rEFInd and apple_set_os.efi was the most difficult and I had to use trial-and-error on my side. Now I can play my Games in the highest settings. I cannot add pictures here but you can see some in my personal blog at https://tea.ch/blog/

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Late-2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina, Gigabyte Gaming Box GTX1080), Windows 10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Very nice build! The expansion ports don’t work via the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter in Windows 10 but should work in macOS.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
tea
 tea
(@tea)

Thanks! When the ports work on macOs, then it's only a Software issue. It's not important as I do turn the Gaming Box off when not playing.

Late-2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina, Gigabyte Gaming Box GTX1080), Windows 10

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

Very nice build! The expansion ports don't work via the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter in Windows 10 but should work in macOS.

@itsage, you are correct for most cases. On MacOSX they always work. On Windows they *can* work (but this is difficult).

With my Asus XG Station Pro I had the USB-C port working in Bootcamp on my wife's TB2-Macbook. It was a matter of resource allocation, but I do not know how to reproduce it. As now this MacBook is running with a Breakaway Puck 570 I haven't continued the research.

The important message is: It is possible to run the expansion ports in Windows on TB1/ TB2-Systems.

Additional Note: This is a typical Windows problem. Regarding resource allocation, MacOSX is a much better system. For example: No Error 12; more than 2 eGPUs possible; expansion ports always work. etc. etc.

This post was modified 7 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote