late-2012 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6 & Win10 [lniniaa]^  

RSS

lniniaa
(@lniniaa)
September 3, 2017 10:28 pm  

Hi, in general, Nando's DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 tool and instructions and the thiagon's implementation and ozzy's implementations  helped me set this implementation up successfully. A lot of thanks to them. 

Notebook

• 2012 15″ Retina Macbook Pro GT650M
  • 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM
  • Thunderbolt 1
  • OS X Sierra 10.12.6 & Win10 64-bit home edition

eGPU gear

Mac OS implementation and setup

Please refer to ozzy's instructions. They're very clear and I didn't have any issue when doing this part.

Just want to mention one thing. If you have a lot of USB devices attached to your laptop, it's better to remove them when you set this up. I didn't at first, which sometimes made me wait for minutes to boot up the system.

Windows 10 home 64 bit edition setup

This is where the long story begins. The first problem I had was like this. I used a USB 3.0 thumb drive to install Windows. If you press option when the windows setup starts, you'll see two yellow icons you can use to start the windows installation, one is "BOOTCAMP", the other is "EFI" something. I guess Bootcamp by default chooses EFI, which was the way I went down the first time. But the windows wouldn't let me install to the partition saying that "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." After some research, I found people say that old mac books don't support this EFI installation mode very well, use the "BOOTCAMP" icon to install would work. I tried and succeeded. 

After windows installation, I didn't know I'd need Nando's tool to do the work. I just simply plugged the eGPU and tried to do things in the normal way. Like install nvidia drivers, reboots. But it didn't work. And I also had a boot up black screen once which forced me to reinstall windows. Also, what I had was a pretty old windows 10 iso, after installation, I took hours to update itself. So I suggest you either use a late iso or disable the network entirely when you trying to set up eGPU, update can be done later. 

Anyway, I eventually found thiagon's instructions about windows setup. I also acquired Nando's DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 tool. Followed their instructions, things eventually worked out.

Observations

• the LED lights of Aorus box won't light up under windows, so no reason to panic.
  • the only problem I have now is, under OS X, if I select large block of text in Safari, it sometimes gives me a black page.
  • the games I play are not very demanding, like Dota2, WoW and Overwatch. The performance is very satisfying compared to before the eGPU, though I don’t have any benchmark tools. I consider the money well spent and really enjoy it.

Just want to share my experience with the community because it helped me set up the eGPU I yearned for a long time. Thanks for reading and happy gaming! My desk is pretty messy, so I’ve skipped adding pictures.

late-2012 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10

TechyRod, thiagon and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@capozg)
September 24, 2017 3:35 am  

Thank you for sharing your experience setting this up. I have recently set up my Aorus Gaming Box and so far I am pretty happy with it. I only would like to ask if your USB ports at the back of your box are working when you are in bootcamp. I am wondering if there is any way to enable those usb ports as well.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
thiagon
(@thiagon)
October 9, 2017 7:31 pm  

Happy to hear my implementation "sort of" helped you out! 🙂

Knowing the AORUS Gaming Box works is really good news! I didn't know about that, everyone says it only works with TB3 and would not be compatible with TB1/TB2 HW...  and it came up in the market after my implementation.. but given your success, I would definitely consider upgrading because my next (if even there will be a next..) macbook will probably have only USB-C ports.. 🙂 

Macbook Pro Retina mid-2012 - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX1050TI 4GB win10/mac os

ReplyQuote
Leeroll
(@leeroll)
December 13, 2017 3:19 pm  

I have a 2013 thunderbolt 1 mac pro retina and Aorus 1080 Box,

Do you guys think this setup with the lowered speed of thunderbolt 1 and adapter could achieve VR gaming? 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TechyRod
(@techyrod)
February 27, 2018 1:06 am  

Any updates on this thread? I also Have a 2012 Mbp retina and aorus Egpu i've ordered  a 1060 3gb should be here shortly have been watching this thread.

thanks

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

ReplyQuote
Harry Potter
(@teddytwonecklace)
February 27, 2018 3:19 am  

Hey I may have missed something from your post, thank you for sharing this guide. I happen to have the exact same setup and have ran a few games in Mac OS Sierra with the Aorus 1070 successfully, however I just purchased Nando's guide and cannot get Windows 10 to work with the box.

When I use Nando's Bootloader I am unable to see my 1070 at all. If I leave the Aorus 1070 connected and try to load in to Windows normally, the W10 logo shows- 2 wheel rotations happen underneath the logo- then my screen will freeze to black nothingness. If I have the box connected when booting in to Nando's loader I get kicked back to the main boot option screen between Windows 10 and his loader upon any selection and eventually it will freeze in to a manual reboot. Finally, if I try and hotplug the Aorus 1070 box after in the bootloader (f5) it is never recognized.  

I may be missing something obvious here but I am stumped. I have removed the 650M Driver and installed the latest NVIDIA Driver stuff, as well as all W10 updates. 

The only difference from your build to mine- is the monitor- a 27" MSI which is connected either DP or HDMI (I have tried both). 

Any help is appreciated. I can provide pictures if it is more helpful, screenshot or setup. Cheers.

Harriet C. Pooter

ReplyQuote
TechyRod
(@techyrod)
March 3, 2018 7:55 pm  

So my gtx 1060 3gb arrives and i used the guide above " Ozzy's OSX install guide" and all looks good but when i reeboot i dont see the gpu in about my mac or under system report graphics. Is it because im running 10.3.3? not sure

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

ReplyQuote
TechyRod
(@techyrod)
March 4, 2018 2:38 pm  

So was unable to get egpu working in 10.13.3  but after i uninstalled and tried 10.12.6 works perfect no issues now currently working on win10 but thats a diff story

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member
April 2, 2018 1:27 am  

I am running a very similar setup, 2013 MacBook Pro Retina, Aorus 1080, the  TB2 adapter...

In Windows 10 bootcamp I'm getting an error where my USB external SSD, connected directly to the laptop (not the eGPU), is randomly unmounted during gameplay. Sometime I hear the disconnect sound, sometimes not, always the game crashes soon thereafter. All the evidence I can find is I can see the yellow arrow next to the USB Attached SCSI Mass Storage Device in Device Manager and in the properties it says something like "unable to start device" and "error 10". If I unplug and plug in the external SSD, it reconnects without a problem.

I suspect some issue with the eGPU but it could be anything. I've reinstalled the USB drivers, I've replaced the enclosure, I've turned off every power saving option in the Control Panel, in the Device Manager (human devices, USB, etc); and it's still happening. It's driving me crazy!

Any ideas or suggestions would be really great. Thank you!

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote