2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS ...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 [jonwatso]  

of  3
  RSS

jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

First of all, A massive thank you to the community here on eGPU.io you guys have been a world of help getting this all up and running.

Implementation on macOS 

Setup was super easy and straight forward, I followed a tutorial that my friend Lance   

UPDATED 30/04/2017 - You can run the automate eGPU script without any mods to the script as RX480 support has been added for 10.12.4, I would still recommend following the youtube tutorial to enable all the compute units. The script that goalque made for enabling all the compute units made a massive difference in performance. Running separate tests before and after can be found here (Before and After enabling all the compute units)

I have the node plugged into a dell 4K display and everything seems to be working great. No issues with putting the mac to sleep when the eGPU is enabled. I did initially have some lag with UI elements when I first plugged in the display, However this was caused by the internal display still being rendered (Know issue). Seeing how I want to use the mac in "clamshell mode" I utilised the disablemonitor application to disable the internal monitor which got rid of the lag. I'd recommend closing the lid of the mac after you've disable the screen otherwise you may find some lag on startup with the lid closed. 

Final Cut Pro - running with eGPU (RX480)

You can get final cut to work by moving the driver files for your integrated gpu out of the extensions folder. However this will remove the ability to get hardware acceleration from the integrated graphics. So this means when I reboot my MacBook Pro without the eGPU I get NO hardware acceleration. I've made an AppleScript application to enable and disable the iGPU (See below) which is working well for me and makes turning off the iGPU Painless. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64@ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [build link]  

Zetthard, itsage and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
may
 may
(@may)
Eminent Member

Hello. can you run brucex fcp benchmark with success? What is your result? https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

I ran the benchmark a total of 7 times and there were no issues at all. I am only including the last 3 results as I messed up the first 4 (wrong format / had other apps open). 

1. 32 Seconds
  2. 33 Seconds
  3. 35 Seconds 
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64@ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jonwatso similar results for me on FCP on an RX 480 4GB

Interesting to see that kext file mods for iGPU-only macs are a necessity to get FCP working. Not the case with all macs w/ dGPU.

Benchmark: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@jonwatso similar results for me on FCP on an RX 480 4GB

Interesting to see that kext file mods for iGPU-only macs are a necessity to get FCP working. Not the case with all macs w/ dGPU.

Benchmark: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

Great write up! Yeah I am pretty disappointed that deleting the Kext files is the only way to get final cut to work as everything else works great. It was the same story in Lightroom. I would've preferred if the iGPU and eGPU worked together. Oh well it's a good work around in the mean time albeit a bit messy. 

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Script App for Enabling / Disabling the Intel integrated graphics

I've made a fairly basic script that enables and disables the internal iGPU. It does this by first backing up the igpu driver files and then deleting them from the extensions folder, and then copies them back when enabling them. I've written it so that it always makes a backup before making any changes. I've tested it on a couple of macs and seems to work great and makes enabling / Disabling the iGPU super easy. You can open the app in apple script so that you can modify it and make it work with your Mac's iGPU. It's currently set up for the Intel HD5000 igpu so you will need to modify the script if you want it to work with other macs, just use the find and replace function in Script editor i.e replace "HD5000" with "HD3000". I've tried and tested it on my 13" MacBook Pro late 2013 without any issues.  SIP Needs to be turned off for this script to work. 

Disclaimer: The script is setup to always back up first before making any changes, However you are using this script at your own risk and I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong. 

I hope you find this little tool helpful. 

How to modify the script

Open Script editor >Open “iGPU Tool” > Find > Replace “AppleIntelHD5000” with “The Name of your driver”

Chances are your Mac will utilise one of the Driver bundles below as of 10.12.4. 

•  AppleIntelHD (Intel HD Graphics)
  • AppleIntelHD3000 (Intel HD3000 Graphics)
  • AppleIntelHD4000 (Intel HD4000 Graphics )
  • AppleIntelHD5000 (Intel Iris / Intel Iris Pro )
  • AppleIntelSKL (Intel Skylake i.e Intel HD 530)
  • AppleIntelBDW (Intel Broadwell Graphics aka HD6000)

So for example if you are doing this on a new 2016 MacBook Pro I would write; Replace “AppleIntelHD5000” with “AppleIntelSKL” and then go Save > Save as Application. 

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Here are a bunch of benchmarks from my eGPU. The main goal for these tests was to find out how much of a performance gain I was getting over my integrated graphics rather than comparing them to other systems / cards. For the iGPU all the tests are done on the internal screen and with the eGPU all tests are done using my dell 4K Display. Due to that annoying bug on Mac OS I had to run the GPU benchmarks in 1280x800 to get the full screen mode (on the internal screen). Overall I am very happy with the GPU performance gain that I got from adding an eGPU to my setup.

FCP - BruceX 5K

eGPU - 33 Seconds

iGPU - 2:03 Minutes 

Unigene Valley (Open GL / 1280X800 Ultra / 8xAA )

eGPU - 2093

iGPU -  254

Unigene Heaven (Open GL / 1280X800 Ultra / Normal Tessellation / 8xAA )

eGPU - 1161 

iGPU -  187 

Lux Mark 

eGPU: 14133

iGPU: 1733 

Geekbench 4 compute benchmark

eGPU: 113851

iGPU: 2054

Something worth noting, the CPU runs 25 Degrees cooler when running with the eGPU 

Unigine benchmarks 

artik liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

25 degrees cooler? Holy s***.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Posted by: mac_editor

25 degrees cooler? Holy s***.

Yeah it's a pretty decent change! I guess the iGPU being on the same chip as the CPU causes the massive difference in heat.

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

If anyone is curious, As it currently stands the setup works flawlessly in High Sierra 10.13, However the deletion of the driver files is still requried to get final cut to work though I would say this will change after 10.13 is officially released. 

ReplyQuote
 of  3