late-2013 13'' Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6 & win10 [Duelsol]^  

RSS

Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 12, 2017 12:25 pm  

I bought a GIGABYTE Aorus Gaming Box recently in order to make better performance of my old MacBook when gaming. It's really a tiny eGPU and convenient for using cause you don't need to buy power supply or graphics card.

macOS (my version is 10.12.6):

It's quite smoothly when implementation on macOS mainly followed this guide.

The main step is to make Mac recogniz the eGPU by excute automate-eGPU script. It will download NVIDIA web driver automatic.

You will find your GTX 1070 at graphics if you succeed. If it's still iris 5100 but you can find GTX 1070 in the system report, that because your external display's cable is not connecting with the eGPU.

BTW, I haven't try the inner screen yet, because I will not use that when using eGPU.

Windows 10 (my version is 1703):

It's more complicated on windows, the first problem I meet is detecting eGPU. At first, I connect eGPU to my Mac and boot windows normally, and I just can't see it in device manager.

After trying many times,  I find out that you will never detect it if you can boot windows normally. The correct result is that your Mac displays a black screen and stop doing anything when truely detect the eGPU. And the black screen is because Apple's firmware switches off the iGPU when there is eGPU present and you're booting into another system, more details on this guide.

If your win10 is installed on a USB device using windows to go like me, your will need something can do the chainload, in my case, I already install rEFInd on macOS.

Also, you should install Thunderbolt Software on windows before detecting, I choosed a version of 2014.

So, the whole steps for me to detect the eGPU on windows is:

• shut down Mac fully
  • connect all the cable correctly except the TB cable on Mac side
  • turn on the power of eGPU
  • boot into rEFInd interface
  • click apple_set_os.efi
  • click Windows 10
  • when you click to boot win10, connect the TB cable on the Mac side immediately
  • if you can boot into windows successfully, then you will find your eGPU in device manger under display adapters named 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' or something like that
  • right click it and let windows upgrade the driver (I failed to install NVIDIA's driver)
  • GTX 1070 will work normally after reboot

Next time, you can boot into windows directly and the eGPU will work fine.

It's really my pleasure if this can help you! And thanks eGPU.io for those excellent guides!

In the end, upload a picture of my MacBook and the GIGABYTE Aorus Gaming Box, work fine.

late-2013 13'' Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & win10

dream3, cpauya, vitas_TS and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 12, 2017 12:36 pm  

@Duelsol, good work getting a tiny eGPU solution going.

I've noticed your Display Adapters listing in Windows is not showing the iGPU. Please ensure you add and select apple_set_os.efi in the rEFInd interface prior to booting Windows. That's because rEFInd's own spoof OSX doesn't work as of 10.12.4 or newer. See:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

Antharsious liked
ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 13, 2017 6:01 am  

If your win10 is installed via Boot Camp, I think you don't need to install rEFInd. If your win10 is installed on a USB device using windows to go like me, you will need it or other boot manager can do the chainload.

I have tried inner monitor with W10 once and the eGPU worked fine.

And about performance, since it's TB3 -> TB2, I think it should lose a lot than other gaming laptops equipped the same graphics card because of the limit of data transfer. But I don't know the concrete performance degradation.

late-2013 13'' Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & win10

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)

ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 22, 2017 11:52 am  

Hi DUEIDOI. I am the same device with you. 2013 late 13 macbook pro retina. I bought aorus gaming box last weak. But now my windows can't identify the box. I can not found the thunderbolt Software also. My windows 10 is install on bootcamp and I did not connect to external monitor. How can I solve this problem. 

BTW I tried to connect the gaming box to my friend's new macbook 2017 13 with touchbar. It did work and the rgb lights on the box light up and i also install the nvidia driver successfully. But when I boot up windows, the internally monitor on mac become truddy. I didn't why.

ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 22, 2017 11:54 am  

I assume if the cable has some problem and ask the official website of aorus and they said the gaming box can not support the tb3 to tb2 cable and connect the tb2 device

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 23, 2017 2:11 am  

Hi vitas_TS! My Thunderbolt Software downloaded from here, you can try it out.

Did you boot windows via apple_set_os.efi? If you boot into windows directly, system will block with a black screen if it detected a eGPU. More details about apple_set_os.efi.

And about the graphics driver, I first downloaded it from GIGABYTE's web site but didn't work. Finally, I upgraded the driver in device manager and succeeded.

ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 24, 2017 12:30 am  

Thanks Dueisoi. But I am a little confuse with  boot windows via apple_set_os.efi. Can you help me with long-distance control via teamviewer? my snapchat is Vitas_TS

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 24, 2017 2:05 am  

Trust me, it's not difficult if you follow this guide.

You can use a USB stick to do that, or you will need to install rEFInd.

ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 24, 2017 12:28 pm  

Duelsol, I am appreciate with your help. I try me best to look the step one by one in the guide.

But I don't know how to create a USB stick folder structure in Finder as follows: /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi where bootx64.efi is the renamed apple_set_os.efi file 

I successfully download the apple set os.efi file and the EDK FOLDER on my mac.

EDIT:

There is no ''boot'' on my EFI folder

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 25, 2017 2:08 am  
Posted by: vitas_TS

Duelsol, I am appreciate with your help. I try me best to look the step one by one in the guide.

But I don't know how to create a USB stick folder structure in Finder as follows: /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi where bootx64.efi is the renamed apple_set_os.efi file 

I successfully download the apple set os.efi file and the EDK FOLDER on my mac.

EDIT:

There is no ''boot'' on my EFI folder

I think you should create the folder structure /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi on your USB stick not your mac. And the bootx64.efi is the renamed apple_set_os.efi file you downloaded. 

And remember that you need to open Startup Disk on macOS and choose BOOTCAMP partition.

Then when you restart your mac with option key holding down, if you see a new disk “EFI Boot” that means it works. Select it, and it should boot into windows which is the startup disk you just chose.

BTW, I use rEFInd.

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 25, 2017 2:14 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

LOVE your set up pic. Very clean, exactly what I am aiming for with my eGPU.

Thanks! I moved all the insignificant stuff to make it clean and simple.XD

ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 27, 2017 3:10 pm  

Hi, Dueisoi. I try to download the Thunderbolt Software from the website the you gave me # https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23742/Thunderbolt-Intel-Thunderbolt-driver

But in the website it said only for

Windows 8.1, 64-bit*
Windows 7, 32-bit*
Windows 7, 64-bit*

How can I do? My system is Windows 10 64bit 1607

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 28, 2017 1:51 am  

Download Windows 8.1, 64-bit, it will be fine.

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member
August 30, 2017 9:37 pm  

I can get it working under Windows (if I plug it in only once the window logo shows and spinning disk starts).

Under Mac - I get it listed under System Report but not in About This Mac: Graphics (still shows Iris 550).   Lights are on.  Fan is on, but benchmarks don't use it....

Any help appreciated?

Have latest Nvidia drivers.  Successfully ran the eGPU script.  MacBook Pro 2016 - Touchbar.     Thunderbolt monitor to USB-C using apple adaptor. 

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
August 31, 2017 2:58 am  

I met this before. In my case, my external display’s cable is still connecting with MacBook, it should connect to eGPU.

If you don't use a external display, then you can follow eGPU-accelerated Internal Display How-to in this guide.

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member
August 31, 2017 8:17 am  
Posted by: Duelsol

I met this before. In my case, my external display’s cable is still connecting with MacBook, it should connect to eGPU.

If you don't use a external display, then you can follow eGPU-accelerated Internal Display How-to in this guide.

Hi.  Not sure I follow.   There is only one USB-C port on the back of the Aorus box and that connects to my MacBook Pro.    Where would the cable for the external monitor go?   Do you mean that I need to get an HDMI adaptor for the thunderbolt cable and plug that into the back of the Aorus box (as it has an HDMI socket)?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member
August 31, 2017 10:44 am  

Plug your monitor into your GPU...

Genius!    ha.    If I plug my Apple Thunderbolt monitor into the Auroa Box with the cable, then how I am supposed to connect by MacBook Pro? It'll just be sitting on it's own looking sad while the monitor and box try and find out what to do.   I'm obviously missing something obvious and stupid here but I can't see it.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 31, 2017 12:09 pm  
Posted by: SirLothar

Genius!    ha.    If I plug my Apple Thunderbolt monitor into the Auroa Box with the cable, then how I am supposed to connect by MacBook Pro? It'll just be sitting on it's own looking sad while the monitor and box try and find out what to do.   I'm obviously missing something obvious and stupid here but I can't see it

To accelerate an external display over eGPU: Mac --<TB Cable>-- eGPU enclosure --<Video Out (HDMI/DP)>-- External Display. You must use one of the video out ports on the eGPU (and not the TB3 port that connects to the Mac) to plug in the external display. I recommend using DisplayPort for 4K.

In case of the Aorus Box, try that HDMI port as you mentioned it has that as part of the package.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
Eminent Member
September 2, 2017 7:14 am  
Posted by: SirLothar

Plug your monitor into your GPU...

Genius!    ha.    If I plug my Apple Thunderbolt monitor into the Auroa Box with the cable, then how I am supposed to connect by MacBook Pro? It'll just be sitting on it's own looking sad while the monitor and box try and find out what to do.   I'm obviously missing something obvious and stupid here but I can't see it.

Use Display port on the eGPU to connect to your monitor.

iMac Retina 4K, 21", Late 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6200
MBP Retina, 13", Early 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6100
Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member
September 4, 2017 4:06 pm  

Ok - so that doesn't work either I'm afraid.    Thunderbolt monitor connects via an adapter (6in Displayport to Mini DisplayPort) to the DP port on the back of the Aorus box.   Thunderbolt cable from. the Aorus box into the left hand port of the MacBook Pro 13" Touch.

No external monitor display at all.

ReplyQuote
Tao Wang
(@tao-wang)
September 17, 2017 8:51 pm  

Hello, following your guideline I deal with the Aorus Gaming Box in 2013 Late MacBook 15 (Iris). It works in both Mac (external display )and Windows 10 (Both internal display and external display). Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
Eminent Member
October 21, 2017 1:46 am  

Hi @Duelsol

Thanks for the great post. My Aorus gaming box works just fine with my iMac but not with my MBP 13" Late 2015. I installed Windows 10 1703 via Boot Camp and the system recognize eGPU as an video adapter before installing the Thunderbolt software you mentioned and it hangs while installing the driver from Windows. But if installing the Thunderbolt software, the eGPU is not detected. I am lost. Can you please point me a direction here?

iMac Retina 4K, 21", Late 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6200
MBP Retina, 13", Early 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6100
Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
October 23, 2017 3:05 am  

You can try following steps after installing the Thunderbolt software:

shut down Mac fully -> connect all the cable correctly except the TB cable on Mac side -> turn on the power of eGPU -> boot win10 -> connect the TB cable on the Mac side immediately

If your MacBook displays a black screen and stop doing anything, that means it detects eGPU and you can use apple_set_os.efi to solve the problem. But I'm not sure if your MacBook's firmware is like mine which switches off the iGPU when there is eGPU present and you’re booting into another system.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
October 30, 2017 1:02 pm  

Hey @Duelsol

Which cable/adapter combination are you using? Apple seems to sell only a 2m TB2/TB2 cable.

I wanted something smaller like the one you are using.

Also, no chance to get a 3rd party TB2 male/TB3 female, in order to use the included TB3 cable and save on the extra TB2/TB2 cable?

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
October 31, 2017 1:03 pm  

Hi @dream3

Here's what I'm using: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5 m) - White.

It seems that the included TB3 cable will not be used.

Awesome! Thanks man.

I'm about to pick one up for exclusive use on MacOS (Sierra for now) and I was wondering if you have encountered any issues so far. Or has it been a 100% smooth experience? My MBP is roughly the same as yours, retina 15" TB2 iGPU only.

And secondly, any chance that you have some design/graphic/modeling apps on MacOS to test whether they actually "see" the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Duelsol
(@duelsol)
November 1, 2017 2:45 am  
Posted by: dream3

Hi @dream3

Here's what I'm using: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5 m) - White.

It seems that the included TB3 cable will not be used.

Awesome! Thanks man.

I'm about to pick one up for exclusive use on MacOS (Sierra for now) and I was wondering if you have encountered any issues so far. Or has it been a 100% smooth experience? My MBP is roughly the same as yours, retina 15" TB2 iGPU only.

And secondly, any chance that you have some design/graphic/modeling apps on MacOS to test whether they actually "see" the eGPU?

Actully, I rarely use eGPU on macOS and I don't have those apps for testing.

I tried to run World Of Warcraft once (the only game I have on macOS), it performed much better than before.

As far as I can tell,  the only thing makes me feel inconvenience is that hot plug is not supported.

ReplyQuote
unknown3134
(@unknown3134)
December 5, 2017 3:21 am  

Thanks for taking the time to write this guide.

Confirmed working well with MacBook Pro 13inch early 2015 on Internal screen (haven’t tried external). Overwatch working Windows 10 at Ultra settings.

Nvidia GPU activity tells me when a program is using the GPU.  Aorus Gaming box detected on first attempt (plug on windows load screen). Very easy to setup.....OS X not so much.

ReplyQuote
jumpingsalad
(@jumpingsalad)
January 28, 2018 7:04 am  

Do you have any tutorial on how you configured ypur rEFInd? Thanks!

EDIT: So the boot timing does not work for me, however, if I hotplug it right after the windows login(apple efi still essential via refind) it is listed on my device manager as a microsoft basic display adapter. Right now I am trying to install the driver that was included in the disc so I am hoping for the best.

I have the aorus gtx 1070 and I am using early 2015 13" rmbp and running win 10 to go

ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member
March 25, 2018 9:53 pm  

Greetings!
This OP was my inspiration to purchase an Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box, to support my Late 2013 13" MBP Retina. I also bought the Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter and a fiber 6' TB2 cable (too long I wonder?). Also I went ahead and bought a 4k HDR 43" TV to use as an external monitor (they're $300 right now on Amazon).

First the bad: I spent all day trying to get some reaction from the eGPU. My Macbook is running 10.13 (High Sierra) and all the posts like this one were for folks using 10.12, which has a very stable work around and script. When I boot macOS with the eGPU plugged in, it lights up and the fans spin, and it all looks promising. I found posts on here for folks running macOS 10.13, and even an automated script from @fr34k, but due to some strange glitch that script kept telling me that my OS was not supported (even after I updated to 10.13.3). I went back to the OP of THAT thread, and tried the package installer, and the NVIDA web drivers, which worked somewhat, at least it was allowing my desktop to be rendered by the eGPU's external HDMI output on the 4k TV, but everywhere I looked it still said that the iGPU was running the show (and my desktop became a little laggy). In desperation, I tried the script for 10.12, which actually seemed promising, but I forget exactly what happened; it's all blurring together after 40 or 50 tests and as many restarts. And no, I'm not confused about my operating system, this is 10.13.3. So far no success using the eGPU with Mac.

Better news in the Windows department, which is why I bought the eGPU anyways (gaming). I've got bootcamp running Win 10. I followed this Reddit guide in addition to the OPs instructions. I'm still messing with the rEFInd themes, to get something I can stand to see every time I boot, and unlike the OP I need to boot with the eGPU already plugged into my TB2 port. When I installed the NVIDA drivers from Gigabyte's website everything was going well until I rebooted; brief Windows logo, then black. And yes, I was using rEFInd to spoof a macOS boot; still no luck! That really threw me for a loop. Eventually I re-read this post, and started from scratch...

I'm not sure if helped, but I used DDU (suggested by the Reddit guide linked above) to wipe the original NVIDA and AMD drivers from the Win install. Then I rebooted with the eGPU plugged in, it was recognized as a generic display device, and I kept harrassing the help system to install my drivers for me (which it did eventually; don't as me how!). These drivers (unlike the Gigabyte ones) worked! After a restart, the eGPU is rendering to the external display! It's WONDERFUL!

Lingering concerns: The Aorus isn't behaving the same way with Windows as it did with macOS. Under load on Windows it's still very quiet (some fans in there are not turning on), and the RGB lights don't turn on. However the fan on the GPU spins under use and the graphic settings I'm using are very high (so I know it's not my native Intel Iris). But I worry about it overheating, and it just seems odd. When I got the eGPU going in macOS it was noisy and the little lights were always on. I'm thinking of calling Gigabyte to inquire.

Lastly, the small power fan stays on so long as the TB3>TB2 adapter is plugged in. The device does not have an on-off switch, since it's supposed to be automatic, but if the adapter is plugged in (even without anything attached to it) the fan is running and a little heat is produced. I'm curious if this is the same for everyone using an adapter; for now I'm just going to unplug everything after use. Sadly, not the experience I was expecting.

Anyway, just wanted to leave this here as praise and thanks for the OP (that's you @duelsol), and encouragement for folks trying this themselves. It took me an entire day of troubleshooting, 40 or 50 reboots, and a bit of nail biting; amd I couldn't had done it without all these online tutorials. In hindsight the Windows instructions are pretty simple, but there are nuances to each particular system. You've got to be confident messing with Terminal and make a few notecards with commands to use between boots. As for how to get it working in macOS, for folks with 10.13, I have no idea. Sorry! I may be really close, but it'll have to be another day. I'll update this if I get some help and get it working!

UPDATE: @fr34k has updated his script (see above) and it worked like a charm for me to get the eGPU working on macOS this afternoon. Easy one click, run, reboot, and the GTX 1070 is now running my external monitor while my MBP rests quietly in clamshell mode. So grateful for this community and that amazing script! Check it out.

Thanks eGPU.io!

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

Duelsol and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
July 12, 2018 11:26 pm  

Guys, a question. This late 2013 13`` model on bootcamp, does it work properly on bootcamp with Windows 10? I have a early 2015 one, but everytime I wanna boot it with eGPU on windows its a battle. I have to plug it on the exact location on windows spinning circle on boot. So it takes me from 3 to 20 tries everytime 🙁 . I'm considering migrating to a 2013 one. Is it worth it?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote