late-2013 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [matthieuv]^  

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 19, 2017 8:18 am  
here ◄ matthieuv's second pertinent update to this thread

This is a preliminary implementation guide pieced together from email correspondance with a GT750M MBP eGPU owner (matthieuv) who got their eGPU going successfully.  Posted here to help those system owners until a user creates a implementation guide for those systems.

My configuration is

Retina MacBook Pro 15" late 2013 with discrete graphic card (GT 750m)
Akitio Thunder2 PCIe
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6Gb

I've installed Refind, Apple set os and gpu-switch successfully, the iris pro graphics was seen by Windows and I was able to switch to internal graphics with the bat file.

After plugging and installing the eGPU, I got the error 12, with limited resources. I deactivated the dGPU in the device manager. After a reboot, the error was gone. I tried to launch a game but it seems that the iGPU was still the one active. I tried the bat file to switch to dedicated graphics (from GPU-switch) but after a reboot, I got a black screen at startup. I did not uninstall the mobile nVidia drivers before installing the desktop one, but is the rest the correct procedure ?

Yesterday, I re-tried another solution and now, everything works !

I installed Windows 10 on UEFI mode, using rEFInd to let it access the iGPU. Then, I used GPU-switch to use the iGPU as primary, uninstall the dGPU drivers from bootcamp and rebooted with the eGPU connected. After installing the latest nVidia drivers, the 3 cards were properly detected. I relaunched GPU-switch before reboot.

Then, I had the error 12 on the eGPU, I de-activated the dGPU from the devices manager, relaunched GPU-switch and rebooted. 

After that, I went on the nVidia control panel to configure PhysX to automatic :

I tried with a game (Mafia 3, 1080p, everything max) and I got the following results :

45 FPS on an external monitor
38 FPS on the Mac display
8 FPS without the eGPU

So, everything works ! The only subtlety is that GPU-switch only works during the next reboot, so if I forget to re-enable the dGPU or doesn't set the iGPU as active each time, I will get a black screen.

I will post a complete workaround on the forum soon, thanks again for your support.

Appendix: Using DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 to resolve error 12 in Win10 BIOS mode

nando4>> the Iris Pro iGPU cannot be activated  in BIOS mode, hence the UEFI mode above is preferred as can activate the iGPU and hence NVidia Optimus or AMD X-Connect accelerated internal LCD mode.

Since the 2013 rMBP, equipped with PCIe SSD, the default Bootcamp installation uses GPT instead of BIOS. The best guide I found about Windows 10 installation is this one :

When creating a partition manually with disk utility, the disk switches to hybrid MBR. When so, Windows can be installed BIOS-based. Using Gdisk can convert this hybrid MBR to protective MBR (which is GPT), following this guide.

Then, the best way I found to create a bootable USB stick was using Rufus, which is pretty fast and can create a both BIOS/UEFI bootable Windows 10 USB stick.

Regarding my black screen, is it after Windows boot, I get the spinning wheel and Windows starts normally if I type my password, but the screen stays black, even when the eGPU is disconnected. Whether with UEFI or BIOS Windows, it’s like if after installing the eGPU drivers, Windows couldn’t operate without the eGPU.

Thanks a lot for your DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 config files, my eGPU successfully worked with them !

The only problem is that, when I don't connect the eGPU on the Mac at startup, the internal display stays black. Is there a setting to apply in DIY eGPU to go back to the dGPU ?

And also, how should I configure it to accelerate the internal screen ?

Nando4>>

To answer your question, we don't have much control over problematic hardware until the Setup 1.35 is booted. Black screens before then need to be managed with accurate timed eGPU power on.

To get accelerated internal LCD mode use a ghost display adapter and dual-monitor tools (or ultramon) software to start a *Windowed* app on your eGPU, then move it to your internal LCD. Details at:

Edited: 1 year  ago

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

Antharsious and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Prominent Member Admin
March 19, 2017 11:44 am  

Would you ask his Boot ROM version (under macOS hardware overview) and how many times in a row it works?

Many users have reported that a 750M model has a POST problem:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/understanding-the-bootcamp-boot-successfailure-logic/#post-94

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macbook-pro-2014-15-gt750m-not-detecting-akitio-node-in-windows-10/#post-2737

Some users have had success with the automate-eGPU.sh -a mode:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/#post-1582

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/#post-1305

It works on macOS, but I doubt how helpful this was on Windows because the -a mode makes the eGPU invisible to Windows with pre-2015 MBPs. Some clarification needed.

automate-eGPU.shapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + Vega64@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/RX580@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

Antharsious and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 23, 2017 3:53 pm  

This setup seems to work probably because the enclosure is the Thunder2.

It seems the problem is boiling down to the Node with Windows on MBPs with 750M. For the moment, I would advise to wait or reconsider the Node if you are on this model.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.sh

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)
March 26, 2017 2:51 pm  

Hey guys,

I'm the MacBook user Nando was referring to 🙂

I just uploaded the video tutorial on youtube:

So, let me introduce you my eGPU setup, realized on a 2013 15" retina MacBook Pro, model equipped with a dedicated GT 750M.

I am using an Akitio Thunder2 PCIe enclosure and a EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 SC 6Gb.

I wanted to use both internal and external display on my Mac.

I was looking for information during weeks before buying it and wasn’t really sure if it would work as I wanted to. Many people are convinced that using the internal screen is impossible or way more complicated if the Mac has a dedicated GPU.

Sans titre.png

I spend a whole week formatting and testing, using UEFI, BIOS, considering going back to Windows 7 (not for long)…

I finally used Windows 10 UEFI, the programs rEFInd and GPU-switch and nothing else !

No need for an HDMI headless ghost or any program to spoof the number of screens.

I made a video to show you the whole installation process, my GF did the voice acting as I wasn't convinced by my own :)

If you prefer a text-based tutorial, here are the different steps:

1) Installation of Windows 10 in UEFI mode

On the 2013 retina Macbook Pro, the SSD is a PCIe model. This seems related to the UEFI mode used by default when using the Boot camp assistant. If you don’t want to use it or are using another model of Macbook, you can follow this excellent tutorial to force the UEFI mode:

http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

You just need to create a conventional partition and convert your table partition from “hybrid” to “protective”. By doing this, Windows will see a GPT disk instead of MBR. You just need to boot your USB drive on EFI mode.

Once Windows is properly installed with the correct Macbook drivers (another reason to prefer the boot camp assistant), you need to go back to Mac OS.

2) Installing rEFInd

rEFInd is a boot manager tool, like rEFIt or GRUB. Its first advantage is the ability to choose the OS without the need to press a key at startup. And the real reason why we are using it is to spoof the computer to allow Windows seeing the entire installed hardware.

You can install refind from this link:  http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Then you need to activate this spoof ability by opening a terminal and typing these two commands:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Now, you can see your EFI partition in your Finder.

Go to EFI/EFI/refind and open the file refind.conf with textedit.

Search for the “spoof OS version” and remove the comment symbol #

Reboot your computer and choose Windows on the rEFInd screen.

Open your device manager, you’ll see your iGPU (intel iris pro graphics 5200) and dGPU (Geforce GT 750M)

3) gpu-switch

GPU-switch can be downloaded from there:  https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch

Download the windows version, available in the description

(direct link :  https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/releases/download/v0/gpu-switch-windows.zip  )

Install Microsoft C++ redistributable (not sure which version do the trick, I’ve installed each version in x64 and x86 just to be sure)

open the file integrated.bat with administrator rights, you should see the word “success”

4) GPU driver installation

Not sure if this step is necessary but I’ve removed the dGPU driver before installing nVidia GeForce experience. The program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) is perfect for that.

You can download it using this link:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Choose to uninstall and shutdown the computer, as you will install a new hardware indeed :)

When your computer is off, plug the power supply to your eGPU, press the computer power button, wait for the chime and the rEFInd screen to appear, then plug your eGPU to the Macbook and launch Windows. If rEFInd is stucked, hold the power button until the computer is off.

You should now see three graphics cards in the device manager, two of them not recognized at this point.

Install nVidia GeForce experience and the latest nVidia driver. The GPU list will be updated at the end of the installation process.

5) Final configuration steps

Re-launch GPU-switch and reboot. You don’t need to unplug the eGPU when rebooting.

Now, your eGPU should have an error code 12, with unsufficient resources available.

Just right clic on the dGPU (GT 750M) and disable it. Re-launch gpu-switch just to be sure (integrated.bat) and reboot.

Just a last step and you’ll good to go :)

Right click on the nVidia icon in your systray and open the configuration panel. Go to PhysX and set it to automatic instead of processor, like on this picture:

Sans titre6.png

6) Windows startup and shutdown to use the eGPU

Now, the most important part, to avoid screwing your configuration: every time you go back to Mac OS, Windows will switch to the dedicated GPU (maybe also when turning off the computer, I’m not sure).

For this reason, always re-enable the GT 750M before turning off the computer! Otherwise, you’ll get a black screen at Windows startup.

Just follow this procedure when you want to use your eGPU:

- Use gpu-switch to set the integrated GPU as primary

- Disable the dGPU from the device manager

- Turn off your computer or reboot

- When you see the reEFInd screen, plug your eGPU and launch Windows

- Play you favorite video game or launch your intensive GPU application (there are two schools)

- Re-enable your dGPU from the device manager

- Turn off your computer

- Unplug your eGPU

7) Usage comments

That’s it, you can now launch your games on the internal screen or using an external monitor :)

To switch between both, just plug the display on the eGPU and use the shortcut Win + P (Cmd + P on a Mac keyboard) to toggle between both screens. 

Sans titre7.png

You can also duplicate them, it works, but don’t expect any kind of good performances doing this :o

8) Some advice based on my little experience:

If your end up with a black screen, you can restore Windows to a previous restoration point or remove the display driver. If you really can’t boot windows, using Parallels Desktop, you can boot your Windows partition from a virtual machine, then remove the display driver.

At first, I was experiencing a game crash and the GPU fan running at max speed, when launching any sort of game. This issue was caused by the power supply connection, using an Xbox 360 S adapter with too thin wires

These wires caused a voltage drop when consuming the 100W needed when playing a game (against 15W on Windows)

About the electrical connections, here are a few pictures

I’ve added a connector on the free PCB footprint to avoid soldering wires on the board. The cables are 0,75mm2 section and fits perfectly the original jack hole.

About the PCIe power connector at the top of the graphic card, I had to cut it with a Dremel to fit the enclosure. You can find specific (and pretty expensive) cables on Ebay if you don’t want to modify one.

Sans titre11.pngSans titre12.pngSans titre13.png

For the ventilation, a colleague helped me cutting holes in front of the fan. I’m not sure to keep this solution, as some games make it very noisy.

Sans titre14.png

Let me know if this tutorial or the video did help you. Don't hesitate to ask for support if you want to do the same setup.

Some websites are pretty discouraging about the concept of eGPU, the whole process is not pretty user-friendly but I'm happy to see that there is an active community growing each year !

Edited: 1 week  ago

Eydawn, SaturnV, Antharsious and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
March 26, 2017 4:10 pm  

"When your computer is off, plug the power supply to your eGPU, press the computer power button, wait for the chime and the rEFInd screen to appear, then plug your eGPU to the Macbook and launch Windows. If rEFInd is stucked, hold the power button until the computer is off."

This is what happens every time in my case. The eGPU is a 980 Ti and the enclosure an Akitio Node. Do you just retry boot if the rEFInd screen gets stuck?

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Prominent Member Admin
March 26, 2017 4:44 pm  

@matthieuv: Amazing video, very in-depth!

What I observed is that at 3:44 you remove a comment mark which enables "spoof_osx_version 10.9". This workaround is exactly the same as apple_set_os.efi:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

The firmware that comes along with macOS 10.12.4/internet recovery of 10.12.3 might not be compatible with rEFInd's spoof_osx_version. Would you check your Boot ROM version under System Report -> Hardware?

As you’ve got it working, your MBP firmware possibly differs from @mac_editor. Or the Akitio Node with TB3-to-TB2 adapter makes the difference.

automate-eGPU.shapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + Vega64@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/RX580@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
March 26, 2017 4:48 pm  
"As you’ve got it working, your MBP firmware possibly differs from @mac_editor. Or the Akitio Node with TB3-to-TB2 adapter makes the difference."   

At least we have narrowed the issue down. For reference, my BOOT ROM version on macOS 10.12.4 is: MBP112.0138.B25. I do, however, use the modified apple_set_os.efi by @goalque to get into Windows with Iris Pro enabled.

Guides:

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
March 26, 2017 8:34 pm  

Just for fun, I decided to try one last time before returning my GPU (which I shall do within the next two days). I followed the instructions exactly according to the video, with the following exceptions:

• Since I'm running macOS 10.12.4, I have to make use of @goalque's modded apple_set_os.efi file instead of eEFInd's incorporated spoofing service.
  • I am connecting the GPU via a TB3->TB2 adapter from an Akitio Node.
  • The GPU I am connecting to is a GTX 980 Ti, and not a GTX 1060.

The outcome was as follows:

• The iGPU Iris Pro graphics was activated and I was able to switch to it.
  • According to video, I plugged in my eGPU when in the rEFInd Boot Manager (set to boot on integrated graphics by running gpu-switch previously). The rEFInd Manager froze. This could not be resolved on multiple tries.

Because I am unable to boot with the eGPU connected, there is still no detection even after proceeding with these instructions. A great tutorial however! It will be useful for users building with the Thunder2! Kudos!

Guides:

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)
March 26, 2017 9:29 pm  

yours freeze every time ? Mine almost works every time, that's weird :/

I have Mac OS 10.12.3 installed and BOOT rom version MBP112.0138.B21, I didn't know about a compatibility issue with 10.12.4 but that's good to know !

You can try plugging the eGPU before turning on your computer or plug it when running Mac OS and reboot it.

I heard about a software update of the Akitio Node, did you try connecting it without the GPU while Windows was running ?

Or maybe try reinstalling Mac OS to stay on 10.12.3 for the moment

I just found this topic, maybe it could help :  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/akitio-node-now-works-in-macos-with-late-2016-macbook-pro/

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
March 26, 2017 9:48 pm  
Posted by: matthieuv

yours freeze every time ? Mine almost works every time, that's weird :/

I have Mac OS 10.12.3 installed and BOOT rom version MBP112.0138.B21, I didn't know about a compatibility issue with 10.12.4 but that's good to know !

You can try plugging the eGPU before turning on your computer or plug it when running Mac OS and reboot it.

I heard about a software update of the Akitio Node, did you try connecting it without the GPU while Windows was running ?

Or maybe try reinstalling Mac OS to stay on 10.12.3 for the moment

I just found this topic, maybe it could help :  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/akitio-node-now-works-in-macos-with-late-2016-macbook-pro/

• macOS 10.12.4 has issues with apple_set_os.efi only, not otherwise. 
  • Windows 10 does not detect my enclosure even without a GPU, but since it freezes on boot with a GPU installed, it does detect something I presume.
  • My Node is on the latest firmware already.
  • I can get the setup working on macOS 10.12.3 with 980 Ti. I want to work it out on Bootcamp as well - that's not happened so far.
  • Reinstalling macOS 10.12.3 will be too painful for me. I did create an additional macOS partition to test my eGPU out. You can read the implementation and what I've tried so far here:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-mbp-w-750m-akitio-node-w-980-ti-mac_editor/

I am trying a different GPU. If that doesn't work either, then I think my enclosure is not compatible (on Windows) with my thunderbolt firmware.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Prominent Member Admin

ReplyQuote
432koi
(@432koi)
March 28, 2017 2:16 am  

Thank you for posting this, I have a MacBook pro 750m with bootrom version MBP112.0138.B21, but whenever I delete the # before “spoof OS version” windows 8.1 no longer starts up. I have to replace the # for it to start and then it just shows the NVidia 750m in the device manager. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Alex

Edit: is it possible that I need to upgrade to windows 10? or is that unrelated?

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
March 28, 2017 11:58 am  

@matthieuv  Thank you for your video, very well explained...

It will be extremely useful for me when I'll build my own eGPU setup 🙂

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)
March 28, 2017 10:00 pm  

@432koi maybe verify that windows is installed in UEFI mode and not BIOS. Just type MSinfo32.exe in the start menu

@Antharsious thanks to you for your support, I'm glad if it can help you 🙂

ReplyQuote
BigDawg
(@bigdawg)
May 17, 2017 4:11 am  

@matthieuv Excellent post and video! I have the same setup. Waiting for my eGPU parts to arrive. Can you further explain the power supply mod you did? I was thinking of ordering eBay cables, but your solution looks easy 🙂 Thank you

ReplyQuote
kalashnikov
(@kalashnikov)
July 14, 2017 9:58 am  

Thank you sooo much! I have same MacBook, but 1050 Ti and I used simple power supply straight to the Thunder2:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XVE11S/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I30ZE741ZRFVII&colid=2VJI1I473Q8F2  .

It all worked fine as I followed the video. The only thing is that you should add a capture on the video about the spoof os (because not many people watch description).

Did you managed to make it work on MacOS?

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
August 1, 2017 3:14 pm  

Thank you so much for the tutorial...

For a long time I have been rather pessimistic about the probability to see one day my dGPU Macbook Pro running with upgraded graphics. But finally, it is there!

Thank you! 🙂

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)
August 14, 2017 1:34 pm  

Hey everyone, sorry for not being more active last few month.

I've added some comments on youtube but I should make another video about some details or change since then.

Most important : the spoof_os_version doesn't work anymore, since a "recent" Mas OS update (April maybe ?). Since then, I'm using the solution with the patched "apple_set_os" that I've found on this forum (thank you very much for that).

About Mac OS, I've never tried to make it work, as I'm only using it for games and often on the internal screen. I would have needed a HDMI adapter and a software to use it on Mac OS and wasn't interested about it.

For the Power Supply, I'm using an Xbox 360 Power Brick (208W version), with a PCI-E power connector crimped directly on its cable. Like you can see on the pictures above, I've used the hole of the jack connector to place a cable with a connector. Don't hesitate if you want more information or pictures. I'll make another video soon if it can help 🙂

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
August 15, 2017 7:32 am  

Hey matthieuv,

As you probably already know, I was able to follow your guide to make my eGPU work on Bootcamp. It was running very fine except the booting process which was chaotic. Indeed, it was not rare that Windows get stuck on the Windows logo. I am using here the past perfect because interrupting Windows during the boot process is inevitably gonna lead to the destruction of the Bootcamp partition. I had to reinstall Windows 10 two times and finally I gave up...

I am curious if you did encounter a similar issue, stuck on the Windows logo? It seems that it is related to rEFInd and not to the Windows version...

ReplyQuote
matthieuv
(@matthieuv)
August 15, 2017 10:04 am  

Hey Antharsious,

I was getting stuck on the Windows logo when I wasn't using rEFInd actually, never since I do.

The Mac can freeze sometimes, when plugging the eGPU, but the freeze occurs on rEFInd and not during Windows boot, so I've never experienced a broken partition anymore.

But, at the beginning, I've reinstalled Windows 10 times and Mac 2 times, without Time Machine or another Mac available so, I know the feeling...

Just be sure to plug the eGPU when the rEFInd screen appears, if it doesn't get stuck, Windows should boot properly. And never forget to reactivate the dGPU before switching back to Mac OS, otherwise Windows will be stuck each time

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
August 15, 2017 6:31 pm  

Okay, I will give it another shot...

Now, I don't know if the difference between our two MacBooks (you have the 2013 rMBP and I have the 2014 rMBP) could explain the issue. 

You don't pay attention to the versions of Windows and Mac OS? Do you?

Edited: 9 months  ago

ReplyQuote
(@fellar031)
Eminent Member
December 10, 2017 12:24 pm  

does it work on macbook pro 2015 13"?

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member
February 3, 2018 3:48 pm  

i tried to follow the guide with a MBP 15" late 2013 GT750M and ended up with a brick. so i'd like to warn you using rEFInd since it seems to use clover under the hood, which is known to possible brick your macbook.

i tried all boot up options (webrecovery, reset nvram, etc.) but the thing is, it never gets so far. you can hear the start chime and the display turns on, but stays black. then you hear every 5 secs or so the beginning of the start chime, that dies before it ends...

after hours of research it seems to me, that the EFI chip has become corrupted and only replacing the chip can solve the problem. but suggestions what i can do are always welcome!

probably i have to bring it to a service point to replace the EFI chip... meanwhile i bought a new MBP 15" 2017 which works fine without that hacks for the stupid MBP with nvidia dGPU...

but for all of you using a MB with nvidia dGPU: i recommend you to remove rEFInd and clover from it and use a AMD eGPU which works fine under win10. its much cheaper to replace your GPU instead of ending up with a brick...

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote