late-2013 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [gabetjh]^  

RSS

gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
September 4, 2017 7:26 am  

Summary

• Decided to get an eGPU solely for gaming on Win10 on internal monitor (PUBG, GTA V). 
  • Was actually looking to get a TB3 enclosure e.g. Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box  in case of laptop upgrades in the future but apparently TB3 enclosures paired with NVIDIA cards is almost impossible for my specific MBP w 750M
  • Had a lot of help scrolling through this forum for a few days especially the implementation guides by @Antharsious and @matthieuv.
  • Step by step guide can be found here by @Antharsious. If you prefer something more visual, look at @matthieuv youtube video
  • If you are confused with apple_set_os.efi , just attach apple_set_os.efi into EFI/efi/custom folder
  • Somehow no errors such as error code 12
  • I did not have to time the connection of my eGPU to the chime or rEFInd. I just had to power on the eGPU, attach it to my laptop and turn it on. even after disabling 750M, accessing integrate.bat, and restart, i did not have to touch my eGPU.
  • My benchmarks somehow fared quite a bit lower than similar setups found here

Benchmark with 750M Benchmark with GTX 1060 SC 6GB

Purchase List

1. Akitio Thunder2 Enclosure
  2. EVGA GTX1060 SC 6GB
  3. DELL DA-2 PSU
  4. KAREON KABLE

Total damage including shipping to Melbourne of all items ($AUD800)

P.S. For those starting out or researching for an eGPU, you need to spend time and effort to find on all the resources online which are widely available. Don't just make a new forum post asking questions where you can find answers to it easily.

late-2013 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
September 4, 2017 7:02 pm  

Glad that you could finally set up your eGPU 🙂

My success rate is around 50% (2014 MBP). The eGPU setup of matthieuv almost works every time (2013 MBP).

May I ask, what is your success rate on start? Do you have POST issues? If not, this would mean that the 2013 MBP GT750m is more eGPU friendly than the 2014 MBP GT 750m...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
September 5, 2017 7:49 am  

All thanks to you @Antharsious

It is probably too early to judge my success rate because i have only gotten it for a few days. 

When I tried to connect the eGPU right at the startup chime, it freezes 

However, connecting the eGPU during the start of rEFInd screen similar to matthieuv or either before turning on the laptop gives me a 100% success rate.

What I'm confused about is that i did not receive an error 12, and yesterday i accidentally restarted my mac without re-enabling 750M and integrate.bat, but i did not have a black screen at startup

late-2013 15'' Macbook Pro Retina GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Antharsious liked
ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
September 5, 2017 9:00 pm  

You're welcome 🙂

You know, I had to reinstall Windows 3 times to make my eGPU setup work properly. If I remember well, I didn't get an error 12 while installing Windows the second or/and third time... It makes me notice that I could have tried to use my eGPU with the 3 graphics units activated... 

If you start Mac OS without having reactivated your 750m in Bootcamp, you might step into some trouble the next time you start Windows (that's what I noticed). It seems that simply restarting (Windows) without having reactivated the 750m does not cause any problem however...

I will try to test other boot methods (the ones you suggest) now that my eGPU setup is stable... 😉
We will see if I can improve my success rate...

By the way, did you try to rerun the Heaven benchmark? I cannot understand how your score can be so low...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
October 12, 2017 8:22 am  

Sorry have been busy and didnt have much time to play around with my eGPU.

I reran the Heaven benchmark and my score is similar to yours. Probably should've ran more tests haha.

I also purchased a Dell S2417DG 1440p 144Hz 24" monitor so hopefully the 1060 will be able to run well in 1440p.

Was also trying to overclock the 1060.. 

Will definitely update the new benchmarks with the external monitor!

Contemplating to convert my eGPU to a Desktop but i don't think there's a big increase in performance/fps? 

also thinking about upgrading to GTX1080 mini

Antharsious liked
ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
October 14, 2017 2:14 am  

received my external monitor (Dell S2417DG) increase in performance by around 10%

internal monitor

external monitor

Antharsious liked
ReplyQuote
gabetjh
(@gabetjh)
October 24, 2017 6:51 am  

Update

• No hot-plugging needed (80% success rate).
  • Disabling 750M from device manager and integrate.bat not needed too  (External monitor)
  • Akitio is placed inside a metal magazine file holder

Antharsious liked
ReplyQuote