2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.4 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Due to limited time to write and ran benchmarks for the Razer Core X review, I didn't get a chance to test with older Macs until now. I have good news. The Razer Core X was detected immediately by my nMP via the Apple Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. 

System specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro – Xeon E5-1650 v2/2x Radeon FirePro D500 dGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Razer Core X + GTX 980 Ti + Apple TB3 to TB Adapter + Apple 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In order to use eGPU in macOS 10.3.4 with TB1/2 Macs, we need to unblock Apple's restriction [Mac_editor's script]. I installed the EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid in this Razer Core X so I needed the eGPU enabler workaround as well. Fr34k's script worked great. I could not boot with the eGPU plugged in. Hot-plug at the login screen worked and the eGPU icon showed the correct name. The Eject function didn't work. If I hot-unplug the system would crash.

Benchmarks:

I ran Luxmark 3.1 and Geekbench 4.1. The video output on this GTX 980 Ti wasn't working well so I was not able to run any OpenGL tests.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
jasonsone
(@jasonsone)

Thanks for providing a little hope that this will work. I also have a late 2013 MP and just got the Razer Core X. I followed your instructions and installed purge-wrangler and fr34k's script, but no dice. I do see the icon for the NVIDIA web driver and when I do a Patch Status Check in purge-wrangler, it says Thunderbolt 1/2 detected and NVIDIA Universal detected. The only difference in my setup is:

1. I have AMD FirePro D700 cards
  2. My NVIDIA card is a Titan Black
  3. I'm not using the Apple Thunderbolt 3/USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter...instead I'm using a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 cable I bought off Amazon

Any ideas where I'm missing the mark?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jasonsone Can you link the specific adapter you're using? The connection has to be Thunderbolt all the way through. In my observation the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter is the best choice. You also need a Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect the Apple adapter to the Thunderbolt 1/2 Mac.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jasonsone
(@jasonsone)

Posted by: jasonsone
Posted by: jasonsone
Posted by: itsage

@jasonsone Can you link the specific adapter you're using? The connection has to be Thunderbolt all the way through. In my observation the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter is the best choice. You also need a Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect the Apple adapter to the Thunderbolt 1/2 Mac.

Here's the cable I bought:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076CFDF2R

I'm wondering if the problem is with my Core X. When I plug it in and turn it on, none of the fans spin up. I don't even know if the box is working. I've tried several outlets. I'm currently chatting with Razer support right now, but in the meantime, can you confirm what the Core X would look/sound like when it's powered on...stupid question, but this could be the root of all my problems.  😕

No need for a rush response. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Razer technical support and turns out I have a defective Core X and have to send it back. I'll check back if I have any problems when I get the new one.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The cable you have is USB-C to miniDisplayPort. It cannot carry Thunderbolt signal and therefore no response from the Razer Core X. You need two separate pieces: one Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter and one Thunderbolt 2 cable.

ReplyQuote
evilishhh
(@evilishhh)

Hi,
Can you confirm that powering the macbook through the thunderbolt adapter(without using the magsafe) is enough?
Like most magsafe2 chargers out there, mine is not working properly and i would prefer to get rid of this issue.
I'm planing to do a coreX+1080+macbook 2015-15" next week and trying to get as much info as possible...
Hopefully, I can post a successful build here.
Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
jasonsone
(@jasonsone)

Posted by: itsage

The cable you have is USB-C to miniDisplayPort. It cannot carry Thunderbolt signal and therefore no response from the Razer Core X. You need two separate pieces: one Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter and one Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Hi. I got my replacement Razer today and was able to get it to work with my Mac Pro. One odd thing, though, the eGPU icon says "null". Everything works fine, but I didn't know if that was a bug or something I did wrong. Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
Strip_Steve
(@strip_steve)

Hey man !

I plan on getting the Razer Core X but I have to choose between a 3x8pin gpu and a 2x8pin one.

can I use the 4+4EPS to fuel the potential third 8pin of the gpu ?
or is the psu semi modular ? Meaning that I could hook up another 8pin cable on it ?

many thanks !

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: evilishhh

Can you confirm that powering the macbook through the thunderbolt adapter(without using the magsafe) is enough?

A Thunderbolt 2 port cannot be used to charge or power a computer. Thunderbolt 2 can only provide 10W to connected Thunderbolt devices.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3