2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (ASUS XG Stat...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + RX Vega FE @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.13.2 [itsage]  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Newegg recently had the Radeon Vega FE on sale ($700) for the Air version. This graphics card is beautiful with excellent build quality. It's fully enclosed in brushed aluminum housing and backplate, anodized blue. The ASUS ROG XG Station 2 is currently the only eGPU enclosure with a PSU powerful enough (680W) to handle RX Vega 64/Radeon Vega FE.

System specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro – Xeon E5-1650 v2/2x Radeon FirePro D500 dGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS ROG XG Station 2 + Radeon Vega Frontier Air + Apple TB3 to TB Adapter + 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

I first tried it the Mac Pro tower. It was plug and play in 10.13.1 and 10.13.2. It's the same when used as an eGPU. The drivers are still a work in progress so the GPU fan runs all the time, not full speed but audible. I actually was able to perform macOS update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 with the eGPU plugged in and the monitor connected to the eGPU. All went well.

Benchmarks:

I ran some quick benchmarks with Luxmark and Geekbench to show the performance difference when installed inside the Mac Pro tower vs eGPU with nMP.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member

Great report.

Have you had a chance to work with FCPX with the new rig?  How would you characterize the results?

2017 iMac 5K 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 40 GB 2400 MHz
Internal AMD 580 Pro 8GB; Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@itsage do you think that a 600W or 650W PSU would be enough? I have a mantiz venus, i also have hard drive connected inside and i use all the USB ports, plus the 87W PD to charge my computer.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@juan_c_yunis I've tried this Vega FE with the Mantiz Venus and the 550W PSU certainly cannot handle it. 650W+ PSU is definitely a safe bet. Either SFX or SFX-L power supply should fit inside the Mantiz enclosure.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: itsage

@juan_c_yunis I've tried this Vega FE with the Mantiz Venus and the 550W PSU certainly cannot handle it. 650W+ PSU is definitely a safe bet. Either SFX or SFX-L power supply should fit inside the Mantiz enclosure.

I think my SFX PSU is broken, because with the 650W 80 plus gold was shutting down while running geekbench 4, then i switched to the stock 550W FSP PSU and it doesn't happen. I'm afraid to test another silverstone PSU, I guess my best bet would be to get a 600W Corsair SFX PSU. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@juan_c_yunis the PSU you bought must be faulty. 

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

i bought it while i was in the US, so i'm gonna have a friend that is going there to return it. I just ordered a Corsair SF600, I think is gonna be more reliable. 600W should be good enough, specially if i undervolt too. Right?

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

i bought it while i was in the US, so i'm gonna have a friend that is going there to return it. I just ordered a Corsair SF600, I think is gonna be more reliable. 600W should be good enough, specially if i undervolt too. Right?

Link to the specs please of you ordered?

What you are really looking for is the max power/current on +12V rail. The higher the number, the safer. 600W may not be enough - depends on the what is the max transient peak current the PSU can handle. It is entirely possible to have 550W PSU which can put higher current on +12V, while 600W PSU (different brand/model) may not be able to - simply because a larger portion of that 600W is allocated to +5V rail, for example.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Sky11

What you are really looking for is the max power/current on +12V rail. The higher the number, the safer. 600W may not be enough - depends on the what is the max transient peak current the PSU can handle. It is entirely possible to have 550W PSU which can put higher current on +12V, while 600W PSU (different brand/model) may not be able to - simply because a larger portion of that 600W is allocated to +5V rail, for example.

Well the Corsair SF600, has been tested by many members with VEGA 64, even a guy here was using it a VEGA FE and he doesn't have issues at all. 

Old PSU with issues:  http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=762&area=en

New Corsair PSU Ordered:  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sf-series-sf600-600-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Sky11

In paper the Silverstone PSU looks better but today i got the Corsair SF600 and it's been very very stable, it works with all benchmark tools, not shutdowns, etc. all issues went away.

ReplyQuote
 of  4