Late-2013 Mac Pro 2x D500 + Radeon Vega [email protected] (ASUS XG Station 2 via TB3-to-TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.2 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 28, 2017 2:18 am  

Newegg recently had the Radeon Vega FE on sale ($700) for the Air version. This graphics card is beautiful with excellent build quality. It's fully enclosed in brushed aluminum housing and backplate, anodized blue. The ASUS ROG XG Station 2 is currently the only eGPU enclosure with a PSU powerful enough (680W) to handle RX Vega 64/Radeon Vega FE.

System specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro – Xeon E5-1650 v2/2x Radeon FirePro D500 dGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS ROG XG Station 2 + Radeon Vega Frontier Air + Apple TB3 to TB Adapter + 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

I first tried it the Mac Pro tower. It was plug and play in 10.13.1 and 10.13.2. It's the same when used as an eGPU. The drivers are still a work in progress so the GPU fan runs all the time, not full speed but audible. I actually was able to perform macOS update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 with the eGPU plugged in and the monitor connected to the eGPU. All went well.

Benchmarks:

I ran some quick benchmarks with Luxmark and Geekbench to show the performance difference when installed inside the Mac Pro tower vs eGPU with nMP.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
December 4, 2017 8:23 pm  

Great report.

Have you had a chance to work with FCPX with the new rig?  How would you characterize the results?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
December 6, 2017 11:30 pm  

@theitsage do you think that a 600W or 650W PSU would be enough? I have a mantiz venus, i also have hard drive connected inside and i use all the USB ports, plus the 87W PD to charge my computer.

2017 MBP 15″ RP560 + Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon Pro VEGA Frontier Edition

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 4, 2018 3:50 pm  

@juan_c_yunis I've tried this Vega FE with the Mantiz Venus and the 550W PSU certainly cannot handle it. 650W+ PSU is definitely a safe bet. Either SFX or SFX-L power supply should fit inside the Mantiz enclosure.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2018 6:14 am  
Posted by: theitsage

@juan_c_yunis I've tried this Vega FE with the Mantiz Venus and the 550W PSU certainly cannot handle it. 650W+ PSU is definitely a safe bet. Either SFX or SFX-L power supply should fit inside the Mantiz enclosure.

I think my SFX PSU is broken, because with the 650W 80 plus gold was shutting down while running geekbench 4, then i switched to the stock 550W FSP PSU and it doesn't happen. I'm afraid to test another silverstone PSU, I guess my best bet would be to get a 600W Corsair SFX PSU. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 12, 2018 4:34 pm  

@juan_c_yunis the PSU you bought must be faulty. 

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2018 4:36 pm  

i bought it while i was in the US, so i'm gonna have a friend that is going there to return it. I just ordered a Corsair SF600, I think is gonna be more reliable. 600W should be good enough, specially if i undervolt too. Right?

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
January 12, 2018 6:11 pm  
Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

i bought it while i was in the US, so i'm gonna have a friend that is going there to return it. I just ordered a Corsair SF600, I think is gonna be more reliable. 600W should be good enough, specially if i undervolt too. Right?

Link to the specs please of you ordered?

What you are really looking for is the max power/current on +12V rail. The higher the number, the safer. 600W may not be enough - depends on the what is the max transient peak current the PSU can handle. It is entirely possible to have 550W PSU which can put higher current on +12V, while 600W PSU (different brand/model) may not be able to - simply because a larger portion of that 600W is allocated to +5V rail, for example.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2018 6:22 pm  
Posted by: Sky11

What you are really looking for is the max power/current on +12V rail. The higher the number, the safer. 600W may not be enough - depends on the what is the max transient peak current the PSU can handle. It is entirely possible to have 550W PSU which can put higher current on +12V, while 600W PSU (different brand/model) may not be able to - simply because a larger portion of that 600W is allocated to +5V rail, for example.

Well the Corsair SF600, has been tested by many members with VEGA 64, even a guy here was using it a VEGA FE and he doesn't have issues at all. 

Old PSU with issues:  http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=762&area=en

New Corsair PSU Ordered:  http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sf-series-sf600-600-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 16, 2018 1:34 am  
Posted by: Sky11

In paper the Silverstone PSU looks better but today i got the Corsair SF600 and it's been very very stable, it works with all benchmark tools, not shutdowns, etc. all issues went away.

ReplyQuote
jya
 jya
(@jya)
Trusted Member
January 19, 2018 4:36 pm  

Do you have this setup working under Windows 10 bootcamp?

Thanks

JY

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 19, 2018 5:13 pm  

@jya yes I do, however it's tricky, very very tricky. Installing the drivers for my eGPU with VEGA FE was very complicated.

A little guide here only for 2017 Macbook Pro Retina 15:

YOU MUST NOT BOOT INTO MACOS BEFORE COMPLETING THE GUIDE

Requirements:

1. Have rEFInd boot manager configured and working
  2. Have custom EFI apple_set_os.efi working in rEFInd:  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/
  3. Have gpu-switch tool in windows:  https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases

Boot into Windows and before doing anything, I recommend you creating a restore point here, name it: "Stock Config"

You have to clean the current driver for the discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 560), using AMD utility http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx  for that or DDU  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17082-released  then reboot

Now, you need to make the internal LCD of the Macbook use the iGPU, the Intel HD 630 (you do this by running integrated app  in Windows with admin rights inside gpu-switch folder).

From now on you have to boot windows with the iGPU (Intel HD630 using apple_set_os.efi with rEFInd)

So having Windows with the iGPU, you need to install the latest drivers for the iGPU (if you get a flickering, go to the Intel GPU settings and in power settings disable the self-pane refresh for battery and with power source) 

Create a restore point here, name it: "Stock Intel GPU"

The discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 560) inside the Mac bothers the driver installer for the eGPU (Adrenalin Installer) and the only way I got it working was by disabling the PCI Express lane used by this, the X16 lane.

So after disabling the X16 lane and having Windows with only the iGPU,  you need to turn off the Macbook (so you can plug the eGPU).

At this point I recommend you creating another restore point, name it: "Ready for eGPU"

When you are back in Windows with the iGPU and the eGPU connected (you won't be able to see anything in a external monitor if you don't have the driver installed, so it's ok), you should be able to install the driver this time, make sure to select custom installation so you can enable a feature that will let you switch driver mode (between Professional and Gaming). After you finish with the setup, reboot.

After booting again into Windows you should get an AMD XConnect notification telling you that you are using your eGPU. Now your system is ready for professional work.

You should create another restore point here, name it: "eGPU working"

if you want to use the card for gaming, then you have to go the AMD Radeon Pro settings -> Driver options -> Check for drivers, then select the one for gaming, complete the installer and reboot, now the system is ready for gaming.

If you enabled the gaming mode, I recommend another restore point, name it: "eGPU gaming mode"

ReplyQuote
jya
 jya
(@jya)
Trusted Member
January 19, 2018 5:22 pm  

@jya yes I do, however it's tricky, very very tricky. Installing the drivers for my eGPU with VEGA FE was very complicated.

thanks... but I have a Mac Pro 2013, (the trashcan), I've already followed those MBPr guides, they don't help: they don't apply to the Mac Pro , it doesn't have an internal display.

And it has two internal GPU, 2 AMD D500 (same as an AMD RX 7800)

This thread started about the mac pro, almost same configuration than mine.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 19, 2018 5:33 pm  
Posted by: jya

thanks... but I have a Mac Pro 2013, (the trashcan), I've already followed those MBPr guides, they don't help: they don't apply to the Mac Pro , it doesn't have an internal display.

And it has two internal GPU, 2 AMD D500 (same as an AMD RX 7800)

This thread started about the mac pro, almost same configuration than mine.

@itsage could help you more about it.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 8, 2018 3:05 pm  

YOU MUST NOT BOOT INTO MACOS BEFORE COMPLETING THE GUIDE

Requirements:

1. Have rEFInd boot manager configured and working
  2. Have custom EFI apple_set_os.efi working in rEFInd:  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/
  3. Have gpu-switch tool in windows:  https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases

Boot into Windows and before doing anything, I recommend you creating a restore point here, name it: "Stock Config"

You have to clean the current driver for the discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 560), using AMD utility http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx  for that or DDU  https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17082-released  then reboot

Now, you need to make the internal LCD of the Macbook use the iGPU, the Intel HD 630 (you do this by running integrated app  in Windows with admin rights inside gpu-switch folder).

From now on you have to boot windows with the iGPU (Intel HD630 using apple_set_os.efi with rEFInd)

So having Windows with the iGPU, you need to install the latest drivers for the iGPU (if you get a flickering, go to the Intel GPU settings and in power settings disable the self-pane refresh for battery and with power source) 

Create a restore point here, name it: "Stock Intel GPU"

The discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 560) inside the Mac bothers the driver installer for the eGPU (Adrenalin Installer) and the only way I got it working was by disabling the PCI Express lane used by this, the X16 lane.

So after disabling the X16 lane and having Windows with only the iGPU,  you need to turn off the Macbook (so you can plug the eGPU).

At this point I recommend you creating another restore point, name it: "Ready for eGPU"

When you are back in Windows with the iGPU and the eGPU connected (you won't be able to see anything in a external monitor if you don't have the driver installed, so it's ok), you should be able to install the driver this time, make sure to select custom installation so you can enable a feature that will let you switch driver mode (between Professional and Gaming). After you finish with the setup, reboot.

After booting again into Windows you should get an AMD XConnect notification telling you that you are using your eGPU. Now your system is ready for professional work.

You should create another restore point here, name it: "eGPU working"

if you want to use the card for gaming, then you have to go the AMD Radeon Pro settings -> Driver options -> Check for drivers, then select the one for gaming, complete the installer and reboot, now the system is ready for gaming.

If you enabled the gaming mode, I recommend another restore point, name it: "eGPU gaming mode"

Holly molly, so you improved the way to work in MacOS, but you overcomplicated the way to get to work in Windows??
Seriously, I don't know if this worth it!! Hopefully Apple could support that in BootCamp because I think that is waaaay to complicated... more than a nVidia in MacOS...
I was thinking to swap to AMD, but, maybe I will keep to nVidia, at least for a while...

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.5 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
May 8, 2018 6:34 pm  

@ed_co yeah pretty much, i only used Windows for gaming, so it was only for the weekends. The experience on Mac got way way better, so i'm happy with that. Right now my eGPU is broken tho, the mainboard of my Mantiz Venus failed, but John from Mantiz, he is being really helpful and it's giving me support for my product.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
May 8, 2018 7:08 pm  

@juan_c_yunis just a heads up - from my contact trawls of this forum and reddit I have heard that the latest macOS updates update the firmware on the 15 inch MBPs resulting in AMD GPU's being plug and play in both macOS and W10, sadly its not the case with the 13inch models but may make your life simpler. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
May 8, 2018 7:17 pm  

@eightarmedpet nice! so with the last update you meant 10.13.5 Beta 4? I have the latest beta installed, however i cannot test it right now, i don't have my eGPU working at the moment. Also do you know if maybe it has do with the new Windows 10 update, the 1803 version.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 8, 2018 8:00 pm  

@eightarmedpet I'm not sure which posts mentioned better AMD eGPU support in Bootcamp with the latest 10.13.5 Beta. I currently have 10.13.5 Beta on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro and it does not change the way Bootcamp works with eGPU. I still have to disable PCIe controller to resolve error 12.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 25, 2018 5:18 pm  

@ed_co yeah pretty much, i only used Windows for gaming, so it was only for the weekends. The experience on Mac got way way better, so i'm happy with that. Right now my eGPU is broken tho, the mainboard of my Mantiz Venus failed, but John from Mantiz, he is being really helpful and it's giving me support for my product.

With all the problems with I am facing due to nVidia and Mojave compatibility, I was thinking to change to a possible VEGA FE deal, that I could have.
Is the bootcamp experience improved since then? Or is it still so complicated?
Thanks

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.5 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 25, 2018 5:28 pm  
Posted by: ed_co

With all the problems with I am facing due to nVidia and Mojave compatibility, I was thinking to change to a possible VEGA FE deal, that I could have.
Thanks

Honestly i cannot answer that question because i have a faulty Mantiz Venus, the thunderbolt 3 board is acting funny with random disconnects, but i did connect the VEGA FE into a custom built PC and things are improving with that card, I'm using the RX VEGA 64 drivers, and the FE behaves like a VEGA 64, i'm undervolting/overclocking it. In high sierra i was able to make it work perfectly with the eGPU while it was working but i wasn't able to test it in Mojave, but it should.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 25, 2018 6:02 pm  

Thanks

Honestly i cannot answer that question because i have a faulty Mantiz Venus, the thunderbolt 3 board is acting funny with random disconnects, but i did connect the VEGA FE into a custom built PC and things are improving with that card, I'm using the RX VEGA 64 drivers, and the FE behaves like a VEGA 64, i'm undervolting/overclocking it. In high sierra i was able to make it work perfectly with the eGPU while it was working but i wasn't able to test it in Mojave, but it should.

I thought you solved the problems with the Mantiz, as MyMantizJohn helped you out with it... and you were really happy with it.
So you predict in Windows it would be the same problems, right? I mean, I just plan to use it as eGPU, not internal card... Don't understand why apple doesn't support eGPU in bootcamp...

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 25, 2018 7:30 pm  

Thanks

I thought you solved the problems with the Mantiz, as MyMantizJohn helped you out with it... and you were really happy with it.
So you predict in Windows it would be the same problems, right? I mean, I just plan to use it as eGPU, not internal card... Don't understand why apple doesn't support eGPU in bootcamp...

Yeah he helped me, but then 3 months later it failed again, I tested with 2 thunderbolt 3 enabled computers and nope, I have random shutdowns and power on, I contacted him again to look for posible solutions. I'm considering buying a Gigabyte Rx580 gaming box.

I think it should be fine for bootcamp using refind with apple set os efi to enable the igpu, making amd xconnect available. Also i had to disable the internal pci express that handles the internal Radeon Pro 560 of my MacBook 15 2017 touchbar. If you have a 13 should be easier.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 25, 2018 9:34 pm  

Curious, there is a while since I don't use the mantiz (since mojave), and I just didn't start in windows in months, but every time I did, it worked well... maybe you had just bad luck with the mantiz? I hope not having such problems with the Mantiz, as it was expensive at that time and I don't want to spend again in another one... seriously.
I think is worth it to have a good eGPU enclosure, to put whatever you want inside. That Gigabyte rx580 gaming box, looks small, but not flexible enough to put there whatever you want, and even it comes with the rx580, which in my opinion doesn't have enough graphics power, at least for my needs... and knowing you had a GTX 1080ti and a Vega FE... maybe would not be enough for you...
IMHO, just invest in something better... you have already good graphic cards... and if not, get something better than rx580...

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 25, 2018 10:16 pm  

Curious, there is a while since I don't use the mantiz (since mojave), and I just didn't start in windows in months, but every time I did, it worked well... maybe you had just bad luck with the mantiz? I hope not having such problems with the Mantiz, as it was expensive at that time and I don't want to spend again in another one... seriously.
I think is worth it to have a good eGPU enclosure, to put whatever you want inside. That Gigabyte rx580 gaming box, looks small, but not flexible enough to put there whatever you want, and even it comes with the rx580, which in my opinion doesn't have enough graphics power, at least for my needs... and knowing you had a GTX 1080ti and a Vega FE... maybe would not be enough for you...
IMHO, just invest in something better... you have already good graphic cards... and if not, get something better than rx580...

Yeah I hope it doesn't happen to you, I'm selling the vega fe with the custom build computer that is using it. I have another gaming pc with a 1080 ti water cooled. The egpu was an experiment for me, I don't really want to abandon it (I have a Mac mini 2018 coming to my way) but getting another Mantiz is too expensive, and i can get the rx580 gaming box for $419.99 with 2 triple A games, don't really need too much power for the Mac mini. I was considering getting a Razer Core X but shipping it to my country would be to expensive and also I would have to buy another video card.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 25, 2018 11:21 pm  

Yeah I hope it doesn't happen to you, I'm selling the vega fe with the custom build computer that is using it. I have another gaming pc with a 1080 ti water cooled. The egpu was an experiment for me, I don't really want to abandon it (I have a Mac mini 2018 coming to my way) but getting another Mantiz is too expensive, and i can get the rx580 gaming box for $419.99 with 2 triple A games, don't really need too much power for the Mac mini. I was considering getting a Razer Core X but shipping it to my country would be to expensive and also I would have to buy another video card.

Mac mini 2018? Uff, I prefer a hackintosh, and with the same price you could have an AWESOME machine.
Where are you living by the way?

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 25, 2018 11:40 pm  

Oh yeah I know that, but I already have a nice pc that I built myself, I just wanted a high end Mac without spending too much time hacking it also for some reason I love the form factor of the Mac mini, and I ordered it with i7 8700 and 512GB SSD and I bought 32GB RAM (2x16GB)  from crucial to upgrade it. It is a good reason to keep using eGPUs lol. I really want the eGPU concept to become mainstream. For my office I wanna use the Mac mini and for home my MacBook Pro. I'm a software developer. 

I live in Colombia.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 25, 2018 11:51 pm  

Oh nice! I thought you were in the US, as you mentioned in an old post you bought something from there...
I am software engineer too, but in computer graphics...

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 27, 2018 1:33 am  

Oh nice! I thought you were in the US, as you mentioned in an old post you bought something from there...

I just bought a RX VEGA 64, I found an incredible deal in my country, almost brand new, $300 for the silver edition. Gonna sell my custom PC with the VEGA FE, I liked that card but it is difficult to install drivers for gaming. Now I'll wait for another eGPU chassis, maybe the Razer Core X.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
November 27, 2018 6:30 pm  

I just bought a RX VEGA 64, I found an incredible deal in my country, almost brand new, $300 for the silver edition. Gonna sell my custom PC with the VEGA FE, I liked that card but it is difficult to install drivers for gaming. Now I'll wait for another eGPU chassis, maybe the Razer Core X.

It definitely sounds much better than the previous approach you wanna do. Even thought, it shouldn't better to keep the FE over the 64 one? I mean, are the drivers so complicated to handle, over the amount of memory? I think is better to keep FE, IMHO.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
November 27, 2018 6:38 pm  

Yeah, it is better but also it makes my custom built computer a better deal for sale, I'm advertising it as a real professional computer for designers, animators, etc. with AMD ProRender, LiquidVR, lol, I only used the card for gaming, I actually bought it from newegg at $600. RX 64 and VEGA FE gaming capabilities are around the same, and the driver installation is easier.

So at the end I would like to have the mac mini 2018 i7, 32GB and 512GB with a RX 64 eGPU, my macbook Pro 15 2017 with the same eGPU (if needed) and my custom built computer with the GTX 1080 Ti.

ReplyQuote