Late-2013 Mac Pro D500s + RX Vega [email protected] (Mantiz Venus via TB3-to-TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.1 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Nov 25, 2017 7:25 pm  

The iMac Pro launch is within weeks. I paired the nMP to an RX Vega 56 eGPU to get a baseline performance. My 6,1 is a hex-core 3.5GHz and the dual D500 discrete graphics cards. The drivers in 10.13.1 are far from mature but they are functional. I can plug the eGPU in anytime without crashing the Mac Pro. I've tried booting with a 4K display connected to the eGPU and that worked well. Using Thunderbolt Bus 0 with either Port 5 or 6 is recommended (bottom Thunderbolt 2 ports).

System specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro – Xeon E5-1650 v2/2x Radeon FirePro D500 dGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Mantiz Venus + Radeon RX Vega 56 + Apple TB3 to TB Adapter + 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

By default macOS High Sierra shows the RX Vega eGPU as "RX XXX". I made a small change in the controller file of AMD1000Controller.kext to show "Radeon RX Vega56. I used iHex to find and replace "RX XXX".

Benchmarks:

Final Cut Pro X can make use of the eGPU with and without an external monitor connected. I tested both modes and consistently got 13 seconds on average to complete BruceX. The dual D500 dGPUs take 24s for the same test.

I also ran Luxmark and Geekbench to compare the dGPU vs eGPU. OpenGL is broken so I couldn't run Unigine benchmark yet.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

slhdsnet, cottonj, artik and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am  

Super!!! With last 3-4 10.13.2 public betas OpenGL is working. Will you update this once 10.13.2 gets a release?

eGPU.it
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64
Testing Radeon VII on macOS 10.14.5 beta

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm  

I will definitely re-run the benchmarks as well as OpenGL once the final version of 10.13.2 is released. The beta builds have power management issues so far.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
artik
(@artik)
Jan 7, 2018 9:00 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I will definitely re-run the benchmarks as well as OpenGL once the final version of 10.13.2 is released. The beta builds have power management issues so far.

Hi! How about the benchmarking 10.13.2 is it faster than 10.13.1? I'm excited to try my Sonnet 550W eGPU with my nMP2013 just waiting for Vega 56 available in stores.

Mac Pro 2013, 10 core, Sonnet eGFX 550, Vega 64

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jan 7, 2018 11:22 pm  

@artik I didn't get a chance to run with 10.13.2 but in 10.13.3, OpenCL performance for eGPU seems better. I ran these benchmarks with Luxmark and Geekbench with build # 17D29a.

I recently got the Samsung 49" monitor and it works great at full resolutions 3840 x 1080 @ 120Hz.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
Jan 9, 2018 7:47 am  

From 136.000 to 176.000 ?? not bad!

eGPU.it
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64
Testing Radeon VII on macOS 10.14.5 beta

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm  

Jeez - nice monitor!  How about a review of that?  :mrgreen: 

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm  

@flint-ironstag I'm planning on doing a review of this monitor soon. It works great with the nMP btw, full resolutions running at 120Hz.

ReplyQuote
cottonj
(@cottonj)
Jan 1, 2019 6:03 pm  

Please excuse potentially poor protocol but am learning how to navigate. Based on your work, I have mustered the confidence to attach a Blackmagic Radeon Pro 580 out of the box via TB2 cable adapter as you suggested above to Mac Pro 6,1 with Quad Core E5 and dual AMD Firepro D300 on board. Mojave 10.14.2. No crashes hot plugged or cold boot. Istats sees eGPU along with D300, and OS system report sees it under Thunderbolt, but not yet under Graphics cards. Primary FCPX production box so moving slowly. What's next? Thanks in advance. Jim

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jan 1, 2019 7:28 pm  

@cottonj Welcome aboard! Since 10.13.4 Apple has restricted external graphics to Thunderbolt 3 Macs only. If you're running macOS 10.14.3 or newer, you'd need workarounds to unblock eGPU restriction. I'd recommend Purge-Wrangler script by @Mac_editor. Here's my build with the exact pairing.

ReplyQuote
cottonj
(@cottonj)
Jan 1, 2019 7:39 pm  

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on it. Thanks Happy New Year. Jim

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cottonj
(@cottonj)
Jan 1, 2019 11:34 pm  

Thanks to you and @Mac_editor for the untold hours of work that proceeded my noob ability to get the eGPU visible to my beloved trashcan. Bruce X test did improve but marginally. I know Radeon 580 is fairly weak, but during Bruce X's rendering 33 seconds, IStats showed that the Number 1 D300 on board was really loafing. Is this customary or is Istats not the way to determine whats really cooking. Thanks again. Jim

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jan 2, 2019 12:05 am  

In my testing, the RX 580 eGPU is similar to the performance of the D500s. It's marginally better than D300s. Are you connecting the monitor through the eGPU or dGPU? Have you checked the "Prefer external GPU" in FCPX? Take a look at my Mojave eGPU overview for more details. According the Mac Pro system block diagram, one of the D300s (GPU A) is strictly used for compute task. The other D300 (GPU B) is tasked with rendering through HDMI port and TB2/mini-DisplayPorts.

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jan 2, 2019 2:34 am  
Posted by: cottonj

Thanks to you and @Mac_editor for the untold hours of work that proceeded my noob ability to get the eGPU visible to my beloved trashcan. Bruce X test did improve but marginally. I know Radeon 580 is fairly weak, but during Bruce X's rendering 33 seconds, IStats showed that the Number 1 D300 on board was really loafing. Is this customary or is Istats not the way to determine whats really cooking. Thanks again. Jim

"Prefer External GPU" must be set for FCPX at all times for performance over eGPU (irrespective of external display).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
cottonj
(@cottonj)
Jan 2, 2019 2:01 pm  

Mac_editor,

Thanks for the reminder. Even after FCPX was set to Prefer Ext GPU, during a hard render or 4K video multi-cam full res. edit stress test, the 580 eGPU and the #2 D300 on board gpu would be full throttle while the #1 D300 would be at 20% load and you could begin to see some frame loss. Is Istat the best tool for judging this? What do you use? If this is accurate, how do I open up #1 card to some honest work? If I unplug the eGPU, both D300's will run full throttle. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Guillaumelmb
(@guillaumelmb)
Jan 8, 2019 9:59 pm  
Posted by: cottonj

the 580 eGPU and the #2 D300 on board gpu would be full throttle while the #1 D300 would be at 20% load 

Hello all, i am very interested in adding an eGPU to my nMP (Vega 64) mostly for video editing and export. I mainly use FCPX & Resolve, 4k Canon cinema raw with some fx. from what I understand here my nMP would then use the all 3 cards to render? how does that improve export time for you cottonj?
Would the 3 cards also work with resolve? it would be a great improvement for me.

ReplyQuote
cottonj
(@cottonj)
Jan 9, 2019 1:36 am  

That trashcan upgrade worked so good, I dug out another. Nothing like this in build list. Took late 2011 MBP 15” running Sierra with crapped out AMD Radeon 6750 on board AND Intel GPU built in and baked the logic board to restore screen visibility. Worked. Used dosdudes01 app to get MBP running Mojave 10.14.2.  Works. Then ran purge wrangler with goal to get Blackmagic AMD eGPU RX 580 to connect. Now shows up on MBP 10.14.2 in Thunderbolt report as connected, but still no presence in graphic report. Old AMD 6750 still shows in graphics report AFTER I thought I had run an app to “disable” it and the drivers. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Jim

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Eminent Member
Jan 10, 2019 8:41 pm  

Hey Jim ( @cottonj ), I'm not working with a cylinder MP, but just got the Blackmagic working with my 2018 Mac mini. For DDU, it also didn't work for me the first time. I had to run it 3 times, twice without reboot and then a 3rd time and let it reboot. (I read about this on the Boot Camp Drivers forums.)

Also, I had no luck getting the BootCampDrivers.com installer to work, even though it lists that it supports the Blackmagic eGPU. I had to (also found via their forums) run the driver installer manually, then run the AMD software installer manually.

I'm not sure if that will help your situation or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. (I'm going to write up more detail eventually on a thread I've been interacting with here, and maybe do a blog article/YouTube thing once I get caught up on the reason I bought this stuff in the first place  🙂 )

This post was modified 5 months ago

2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580)

ReplyQuote