Late-2013 Mac Pro + Radeon Pro [email protected] (Blackmagic eGPU via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.6 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 15, 2018 9:18 pm  

My 2016 15" MacBook Pro is currently at a repair facility due to the stuck keyboard issue. In the meantime, I have no Thunderbolt 3 Mac to test the Blackmagic eGPU. It's a good thing because the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan is the perfect host. There are many elements of this new eGFX that were clearly inspired by the trashcan design.

System specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro – Xeon E5-1650 v2/2x Radeon FirePro D500 dGPU/32GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Blackmagic Design eGPU + Radeon Pro 580 + Apple TB3 to TB Adapter + 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

@Mac_editor's Purge-wrangler script was all I needed to get this setup going. Hot-plug, sleep, and hot-unplug have been working well. I don't have a Thunderbolt 3 monitor like the LG Ultrafine 5K so I used the Mantiz Titan dock to convert the TB3 monitor output into DisplayPort. The good news is this eGFX can provide Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. The bad news is it's not working well in Windows.

Benchmarks:

I ran some quick benchmarks with Luxmark and Geekbench to show the performance of this Blackmagic eGPU running with nMP.

Comments:

Blackmagic Design built this eGFX to cater to Mac users only. Bootcamp is even worse than the other eGPU solutions we've used. The main issue is identification of the graphics card or lack thereof. AMD drivers and settings have a hard time figuring out what it is and struggle to install/upgrade drivers.

When I tried with the Razer Blade Stealth, an eGPU-certified host, the Blackmagic was detected and worked in internal display mode because I had Radeon drivers already. The more concerning issue I found is no monitor output from this eGPU in Windows. I have had no success connecting the HDMI port directly to the monitor and Thunderbolt 3 indirectly through the Mantiz Titan dock. If you're planning on using Windows, this is not the eGFX for you.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 and kotlos liked
ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
August 6, 2018 6:19 am  

Hello Sage,

Is there any viable eGPU TB2/TB3 enclosure that works well with Mac Pro 2013 under Windows? All builds seem to be only for macOS

mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m | Mac mini 2012 | Akitio Thunder 2 | GTX 780 3GB (flashed) | Quadro P2000 (stock)

ReplyQuote
mikaelnt
(@mikaelnt)
August 11, 2018 12:05 pm  

Yes. The Razor Core X. works on both Windows and macOS.

https://egpu.io/build-guides/?table_filter=%22%22Razer%20Core%20X%22%20%22

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)
October 7, 2018 8:15 am  

Strange. According to the official page of Blackmagic eGPU Q&A :

Can I use an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter with an older Thunderbolt 2 computer?

No, the Blackmagic eGPU won't work with Thunderbolt 2 computers as they don't support the speed required for good eGPU performance.

So I can just ignore that? @theitsage

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
vegan
(@vegan)
October 9, 2018 9:37 am  

@Riss - I believe the same setup as for Early 2015 MacBook Pro would work. I managed to get it work - see this build.

My build: early-2015 13'' MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core X via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.14&Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 9, 2018 12:58 pm  

@sheldontung Apple does not support eGPU on Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 Macs. Therefore they have to keep it consistent and state the Blackmagic eGPU doesn't work with the Mac Pro trashcan (TB2). I used @mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler script to enable eGPU support on the trashcan and was able to use the Blackmagic eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
foliage
(@foliage)
November 23, 2018 1:48 pm  

Hi @itsage great work on this project. I'm very interested in your comment 'The good news is this eGFX can provide Thunderbolt 3 monitor output.'.

Does this mean that any Thunderbolt 1/2 mac with the Purge-Wrangler script, is able to use the LG Ultrafine 5k display with the Blackmagic eGPU

I am currently using a l2013 15' MBP with TB2 (and dGPU nvidia GT 750M)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote