2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Venus...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + Radeon VII @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.5 [itsage]  

of  7
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@marcus_cf_tinnerholm Did you try the link I mentioned previously? Can you log in as superuser?

[Please login to see this]

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
editology
(@editology)

@marcus_cf_tinnerholm I am building the same setup with the Radeon VII in Razer Core X and 2013 MacPro on 10.13.6 & apple's TB3-2 connector and it kinda recognizes it...  it sees the Razer Core X in sys report and doesn't call it Radeon VII under GPUs (called display)  and it doesn't show up in Activity monitor as one of the GPUs...  Would you or anyone know what the next step is to use this card on this version of the software...?  Thanks in advance.

Ron

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@editology macOS only starts providing drivers and eGPU support for Radeon VII since 10.14.5. You need to upgrade your 2013 Mac Pro to at least 10.14.5 in order to use it (with Purge-Wrangler).

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
editology
(@editology)

@itsage I was afraid of that.  Thank you for clarifying.   But I should be able to use a GTX 1080 in the Razer Core X with High Sierra ... right?  Just with Purge Wrangler?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

There are web drivers for GTX 1080 in High Sierra. Once you upgrade to Mojave and newer there's no web drivers unfortunately. Purge-Wrangler does multiple tasks but for your particular setup it enables eGPU functionality on Thunderbolt 2 connection and either AMD or Nvidia patch for your eGPU. If you have the space on the internal hard drive, you can partition it to run both 10.13.6 and 10.14.5+.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
editology
(@editology)

@  itsage   Aces. Finally got it working. Thanks.   How much does adding another 1080 card improve speed and then for each additional card there after?  Curious if it's exponential or not....  Thanks!   R

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I swapped the eGPU enclosure to NetStor HL23T-Plus. This is the only enclosure I found to work with the Radeon VII without sleep issues (fans running or not sleeping). By default, Energy Saver has Power Nap enabled which wakes the Mac Pro up every so often. Once I unchecked this box, the computer + eGPU setup stays asleep very predictably.

artik liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I might have corrupted the firmware of my 2013 Mac Pro during a failed macOS update tonight (to 10.15 dev beta 7). The Mac Pro has been working great with NetStor HL23T-Plus + Radeon VII eGPU so I thought leaving them in during the system upgrade was fine. This had been done several times prior without ill effect. Not this time unfortunately.

The Mac Pro would boot up with eGPU fans running full speed then settling down. However there's no monitor output through the Mac Pro directly. With or without the eGPU made no difference, the nMP doesn't seem to respond to any keyboard input and there's no monitor output. I proceeded to reset NVRAM and SMC but no difference. I also opened it up to reseat the RAM modules and cleaned up while I was at it.

If you have any ideas for me to try next, I'd appreciate your help.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Your best bet would be try installing on top of your existing installation again and see what happens (all eGPU peripherals disconnected of course). You could either try Catalina recovery or create a bootable Catalina install (can be any beta, doesn’t matter) and use that. This is assuming you have the ability to at least select boot disks. Let us know how that pans out.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mac_editor Unfortunately it doesn't have monitor output or keyboard/mouse input. The power light comes on and stays on but it does nothing. I tried a different set of wired Apple keyboard and mouse too. I will do a clean macOS install on a different stick drive then swap in place of the original drive.

ReplyQuote
 of  7