late 2013 Mac Pro + GTX1080Ti x2 (Sonnet Breakaway 350 x2 via TB3->TB2 adapters) + macOS 10.13.3 [jtob]  

RSS

jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
February 1, 2018 7:34 pm  

Here’s my successful process for getting TWO thunderbolt 2 connected GTX 1080 ti eGPU’s recognized and running well on High Sierra.  I am using a 2013 “trashcan” Mac Pro and things are working very well for 3D rendering on Redshift this way.

Download goalque’s automate egpu script:  https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

* make sure your Mac will allow new GPU boot code by disabling SIP protection *

1. Start Mac in recovery mode ( reboot, at chime hold command+option+r ) 
2. Go to the menu bar -> utilities -> terminal 
3. Type: csrutil disable.  Make sure eGPU thunderbolt cable is disconnected.
4.  Type “reboot” . Make sure eGPU thunderbolt cable is disconnected during boot up or your display might start flowing through GPU’s output.

5. At login screen, re-attach egpu thunderbolt cable 
6. Wait 10-20 seconds after plugging in cable, pointer may freeze then the screen should flash indicating eGPU was recognized
7. Login to computer.

* Now uninstall any previous attempts to get GPU working, this helped me. 
8. In terminal run: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall *** (replace PATHTO with the path to your automate script) 
9. if there was a previous installation it will be removed entirely 
10. reboot (seems to work now with eGPU TB cable attached) 

* Use gaolque’s automate egpu script to install drivers
11. in terminal type: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh 
12. answer Y to various questions in terminal 
13. reboot 

14. download and install most recent nvidia cuda driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html  
15. reboot — if screen goes blank you may need to use your eGPU graphics cards video output to see the login screen (I do, and I’m not sure how to change this) 
16. in terminal: in terminal: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh -a 
17. reboot 
18. success, hopefully for you too!

The only annoying quirk with this setup — computer won’t boot with both eGPU’s attached.   One attached and things are hunky-dory, but when both are connected I don’t even get to the startup “bong” sound.  So I have to disconnect both eGPU thunderbolt cables at startup, with til the login screen, then reconnect them, and wait 20 seconds or so till screen flashes.  Then I’m good to go.  I’d love to fix this somehow.

Ive attached some pics of the setup.  Please forgive the messy wires, haven't had a chance to clean it all up.

Here's what I see in the system report.

Finally here's what the Redshift plugin reports and uses:

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Subdued Flamboyance, nando4, Username and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
February 1, 2018 7:47 pm  

Nice man, what a way to upgrade your Mac Pro power.

2017 MBP 15″ RP560 + Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon Pro VEGA Frontier Edition

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 1, 2018 7:50 pm  

@jtob Thank you for sharing this build. The boot hang issue is due to Thunderbolt Bus 2. Only the ports via Thunderbolt Bus 0 would not interfere with macOS booting process. I know it's not advisable connecting two eGPUs to the same bus but you can try utilizing both port 5 and 6 to see whether you can boot successfully with the two eGPUs plugged in.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

jtob liked
ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
February 2, 2018 1:08 am  

@jtob nice work, I've converted several clients to dual eGPU setup in lieu of iMac Pro or waiting for mMP.

Booting with 2 GPUs in the same enclosure (One Stop Systems) works on nMP.  Depending on your workload, there may be zero performance hit or 50%.  Are you getting the boost you expected in Redshift?

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
reptilianbrain
(@reptilianbrain)
Trusted Member
February 2, 2018 1:22 am  

@jtob how is the performance with this on 10.13.3? I got eGPU working with the different app (the usual one), but the performance  was horrible - a slideshow pretty much for every app and even just mouse pointer.

MBP 2013 750M + Akitio [email protected] (Zotac Mini)

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 4:37 am  
Posted by: reptilianbrain

@jtob how is the performance with this on 10.13.3? I got eGPU working with the different app (the usual one), but the performance  was horrible - a slideshow pretty much for every app and even just mouse pointer.

performance has been smooth as butter. I notice the 1080 loses about 30% of its performance when I have a monitor connected to it. So I try to let the internal FirePro cards handle driving the monitor.  

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 4:45 am  
Posted by: Flint Ironstag

@jtob nice work, I've converted several clients to dual eGPU setup in lieu of iMac Pro or waiting for mMP.

Booting with 2 GPUs in the same enclosure (One Stop Systems) works on nMP.  Depending on your workload, there may be zero performance hit or 50%.  Are you getting the boost you expected in Redshift?

Thanks flint. I saw you have a similar setup which gave me confidence when buying the gear. 

With two identical GPUs redshift is almost (but not quite) 2x as fast.  I ran a redshift benchmark and it went from 12:00 minutes using one card to 6:18 using two. My benchmark numbers are close but slightly  worse than what Linux and Windows users report. 

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
February 2, 2018 4:47 am  

As @itsage suggested, try running them both on bus 0.  You may not see any hit whatsoever, while regaining the ability to reboot freely.  I'd be really interested to hear.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
February 2, 2018 4:58 am  
Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Can you imagine how different the landscape would be if Apple had rolled out eGPU support with nMP in 2013?  I certainly can.  On second thought, it would probably severely decrease our chances of seeing mMP.  Such a shame, I would really like an updated nMP for a quiet workstation, plus a mMP for heavy lifting.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

jtob liked
ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
February 2, 2018 5:15 am  
Posted by: Flint Ironstag
Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Can you imagine how different the landscape would be if Apple had rolled out eGPU support with nMP in 2013?  I certainly can.  On second thought, it would probably severely decrease our chances of seeing mMP.  Such a shame, I would really like an updated nMP for a quiet workstation, plus a mMP for heavy lifting.

For sure man, I want them to release a new space gray Mac Mini 2018 with a quacore Core i7 with HT, 32GB of DDR4 and 4 thunderbolt 3 ports at full speed/lanes, only Intel GPU so it’s painless to add EGPU support. Having that i would skip using my MacBook for work at home/office.

2017 MBP 15″ RP560 + Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon Pro VEGA Frontier Edition

jtob and Username liked
ReplyQuote
(@subdued_flamboyance)
February 8, 2018 5:54 pm  

This worked on my macmini late 2014 (High Sierra 10.13.3) TB2->TB3 HP Omen Accelerator with GTX1070!

Thanks for the tips!

ReplyQuote
jpmartin964
(@jpmartin964)
February 12, 2018 9:39 am  

Thanks for the tips.

This also worked well for me too on a Mac Pro 2013, black cylinder. Used the Sonnet e-GPU 350w box with an Nvidia Titan Xp inside and works a treat, really fast.

Does anyone know how to make this work with Bootcamp mode though?

ReplyQuote
ebelharw
(@ebelharw)
April 16, 2018 12:09 am  

Great write-up, I'm thinking about a similar build for Octane rendering with a late 2013 MP so this is really helpful.
I do have one question about the PCIe lane usage, I noticed in your System Report image that the GFX1080ti's are only using 4x lanes - is it possible to reconfigure the PCIe lane usage of the built in AMDs to allow the 1080's to use the full 16x?
Thanks again for the post!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 16, 2018 1:01 am  

@ebelharw ,  a TB3/TB2 enclosure provides a 4-lane (x4) electrical link to the video card providing more bandwidth than required of the Thunderbolt TX/RX controller pair used for the data transmission. See bandwidth measurements.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@swangga_bayu)
May 28, 2018 12:22 pm  

hi everybody.. need help..
I followed the instructions but it still did not work
I am using late 2013 mace pro, akitio node pro, radeon vega FE
TB3-->TB2 adapter with high sierra version 10.13.14

[/IMG]">[IMG] [/IMG]

[/IMG]" target="true">[IMG] [/IMG]

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

ReplyQuote
(@swangga_bayu)
June 2, 2018 6:02 am  

Thanks for the tips
it's alive, haha...

[/IMG]" target="true">

jtob liked
ReplyQuote
(@swangga_bayu)
June 2, 2018 6:02 am  

Thanks for the tips
it's alive, haha...

[/IMG]" target="true">

ReplyQuote
danielmedina3d
(@danielmedina3d)
July 26, 2018 10:55 am  

Hi Guys! I could use any model of gtx 1080 ti ? I mean, evga, asus, original from nvidia... because I have been looking in amazon and I found a lot of different models, so I dont know wich to choose... this is my fist post here, so maybe is a very rookie question  🙄  
Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2018 6:20 am  

Hi

I got all this working on a 2013 Mac Pro trashcan, running 2 x Akitio Nodes & 2 1080Ti cards via TB2>TB3 adapter under macOS 10.13.6.

I'm using it for 3D rendering in Cinema 4D and Redshift. With the two cards, rendering crashes Cinema 4D and it quits. If I disable one card in Cinema 4D preferences it renders fine. When it quits it brings up and Apple dialog to send a crash report to them instead of a Cinema 4D one.
I can see both Nodes and both 1080Ti's listed in the system report.
I've attched the eGPU boxes to Thunderbolt Bus 0, having tried them on 1 and 2 with no change to the problem.

(I'd attach the crash report but this forum isn't letting me attach a .txt or .rtf file)

I've been running a single Akitio Node + 1080Ti under 10.12.6 for about a year with no problems.

Anyone know how to fix?
thx

2 x Akitio Node + 2 x 1080Ti + TB2>TB3 + 2013 Mac Pro Trashcan

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2018 1:15 pm  

@yescaptain  -- strange that it crashes with two cards attached and not one.   Is redshift seeing both cards ok? (check the redshift preference panel in cinema4d)  I am on OS 10.13.3 and haven't upgraded because I don't want to screw up my nicely working setup.  Most likely its the OS or a driver issue.  Also make sure your CUDA install is up-to-date.

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2018 1:19 pm  

@danielmedina3d -- Daniel you can use any card you like.  Just make sure your enclosure can feed it enough voltage, some of the higher overclocked cards need more power than the enclosure can give.

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
Eminent Member
July 31, 2018 11:16 pm  

@jtob thanks for the reply.

yes in C4D prefs both cards are listed. if i uncheck one it was more stable. given that C4D and RS dont seem to create logs makes me agree its some OS issue?

CUDA driver is: 396.148 + NVIDIA driver is: 387.10.10.40.105 - both claim to be up to date. that sound right to you?

ReplyQuote
danielmedina3d
(@danielmedina3d)
August 2, 2018 11:42 am  

Thanks!

Im going to upgrade from yosemite to high sierra, so I wouldn't like to have the same problem with 10.13.6, like @yescaptain currently have, so my question is, is there any solution to downgrade from 10.13.6 to 10.13.3?  Thanks

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member
August 2, 2018 1:04 pm  

@yescaptain does C4d crash instantly with both cards or is it less stable with both? Does C4d crash out or does the computer freeze up?

ReplyQuote
yescaptain
(@yescaptain)
Eminent Member
August 3, 2018 5:32 am  

C4D and Redshift was crashing as soon as I hit render. Not a freeze or hang, just C4D disappeared. With 1 card disabled in the prefs it was fine. 
C4D and Octane however, 1 card fine, 2 cards would give an error in the render interface but C4D would stay open and remain functional.

I manged to rollback to 10.12.6 via time machine. Found a copy of 10.13.0 online (apple don't provide one). Then upgraded to 10.13.3 via apple support site. There are a lot of different 10.13.3 downloads. I had luck with the Combo Update, and not others. 

I've now tried goalque’s automate egpu script as per all instructions and my Nvidia cards do not show up in the System Info>Graphics>Displays (only the AMD D500s are listed). But the Akitio Nodes x 2 are listed under Thunderbolt devices. The goalque’s script seem to run fine with no errors. So I'm at a loss as to why its not working?

sigh

ReplyQuote
danielmedina3d
(@danielmedina3d)
August 9, 2018 12:21 pm  

I have the same problem. I downloaded 10.13.0 online, then download 10.13.3 combo update from apple website, and followed step by step all instructions with goalsque’s automate script and nvidia drivers, but my nvidia card don’t show up in the system preferences. Did you found any solution? In my case I have only one gtx 1080 ti, so after have read about your problems with 2 cards, I was wondering if with 10.13.6 and only one card, my card would work okay with cinema 4d and redshift or octane, and if so, do I need a different  goalsque’e automate script for 10.13.6 ? Or is the same as that 10.13.3?

thanks in advance 😉

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member
August 24, 2018 12:18 pm  

@yescaptain - Did you resolve the issue?

I've had 2 x 1080Ti working with my nMP for quite some time. I'm using @fr34k's solution - which works great.

Or you can try @goalque's Automate-eGPU EFI

2013 MacPro 2xD700 [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.3
2017 TB MBP 2xGTX1080Ti-TB3 (Akitio Node) + macOS 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
(@paul_murphy)
October 2, 2018 11:34 am  
Hi, new member here, specs below. Can I. It a card from amazon or wherever, or would I need to buy a flashed card from the likes of mac vid cards dot com?

Mac Pro 6,1 | 6c | D500 | High Sierra

nMP | 6c | D500 | High Sierra

ReplyQuote