2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 1080 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet B...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 1080 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.13.3 [jtob]  

of  4
  RSS

jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member

Here’s my successful process for getting TWO thunderbolt 2 connected GTX 1080 ti eGPU’s recognized and running well on High Sierra.  I am using a 2013 “trashcan” Mac Pro and things are working very well for 3D rendering on Redshift this way.

Download goalque’s automate egpu script:  https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

* make sure your Mac will allow new GPU boot code by disabling SIP protection *

1. Start Mac in recovery mode ( reboot, at chime hold command+option+r ) 
2. Go to the menu bar -> utilities -> terminal 
3. Type: csrutil disable.  Make sure eGPU thunderbolt cable is disconnected.
4.  Type “reboot” . Make sure eGPU thunderbolt cable is disconnected during boot up or your display might start flowing through GPU’s output.

5. At login screen, re-attach egpu thunderbolt cable 
6. Wait 10-20 seconds after plugging in cable, pointer may freeze then the screen should flash indicating eGPU was recognized
7. Login to computer.

* Now uninstall any previous attempts to get GPU working, this helped me. 
8. In terminal run: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall *** (replace PATHTO with the path to your automate script) 
9. if there was a previous installation it will be removed entirely 
10. reboot (seems to work now with eGPU TB cable attached) 

* Use gaolque’s automate egpu script to install drivers
11. in terminal type: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh 
12. answer Y to various questions in terminal 
13. reboot 

14. download and install most recent nvidia cuda driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html  
15. reboot — if screen goes blank you may need to use your eGPU graphics cards video output to see the login screen (I do, and I’m not sure how to change this) 
16. in terminal: in terminal: sudo PATHTO/automate-eGPU.sh -a 
17. reboot 
18. success, hopefully for you too!

The only annoying quirk with this setup — computer won’t boot with both eGPU’s attached.   One attached and things are hunky-dory, but when both are connected I don’t even get to the startup “bong” sound.  So I have to disconnect both eGPU thunderbolt cables at startup, with til the login screen, then reconnect them, and wait 20 seconds or so till screen flashes.  Then I’m good to go.  I’d love to fix this somehow.

Ive attached some pics of the setup.  Please forgive the messy wires, haven't had a chance to clean it all up.
IMG 4048
IMG 4049

Here's what I see in the system report.
Screen Shot 2018 02 01 at 2.32.06 PM

Finally here's what the Redshift plugin reports and uses:
Screen Shot 2018 02 01 at 2.33.50 PM
2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 1080 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.13.3 [build link]  

Subdued Flamboyance, nando4, Username and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Nice man, what a way to upgrade your Mac Pro power.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jtob Thank you for sharing this build. The boot hang issue is due to Thunderbolt Bus 2. Only the ports via Thunderbolt Bus 0 would not interfere with macOS booting process. I know it's not advisable connecting two eGPUs to the same bus but you can try utilizing both port 5 and 6 to see whether you can boot successfully with the two eGPUs plugged in.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

jtob liked
ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

@jtob nice work, I've converted several clients to dual eGPU setup in lieu of iMac Pro or waiting for mMP.

Booting with 2 GPUs in the same enclosure (One Stop Systems) works on nMP.  Depending on your workload, there may be zero performance hit or 50%.  Are you getting the boost you expected in Redshift?

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
reptilianbrain
(@reptilianbrain)
Trusted Member

@jtob how is the performance with this on 10.13.3? I got eGPU working with the different app (the usual one), but the performance  was horrible - a slideshow pretty much for every app and even just mouse pointer.

MBP 2013 750M + Akitio [email protected]RX570 (OSX) & GTX1080 (Bootcamp)

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member

Posted by: reptilianbrain

@jtob how is the performance with this on 10.13.3? I got eGPU working with the different app (the usual one), but the performance  was horrible - a slideshow pretty much for every app and even just mouse pointer.

performance has been smooth as butter. I notice the 1080 loses about 30% of its performance when I have a monitor connected to it. So I try to let the internal FirePro cards handle driving the monitor.  

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + GTX 1080 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.13.3 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jtob
 jtob
(@jtob)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Flint Ironstag

@jtob nice work, I've converted several clients to dual eGPU setup in lieu of iMac Pro or waiting for mMP.

Booting with 2 GPUs in the same enclosure (One Stop Systems) works on nMP.  Depending on your workload, there may be zero performance hit or 50%.  Are you getting the boost you expected in Redshift?

Thanks flint. I saw you have a similar setup which gave me confidence when buying the gear. 

With two identical GPUs redshift is almost (but not quite) 2x as fast.  I ran a redshift benchmark and it went from 12:00 minutes using one card to 6:18 using two. My benchmark numbers are close but slightly  worse than what Linux and Windows users report. 

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

As @itsage suggested, try running them both on bus 0.  You may not see any hit whatsoever, while regaining the ability to reboot freely.  I'd be really interested to hear.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Can you imagine how different the landscape would be if Apple had rolled out eGPU support with nMP in 2013?  I certainly can.  On second thought, it would probably severely decrease our chances of seeing mMP.  Such a shame, I would really like an updated nMP for a quiet workstation, plus a mMP for heavy lifting.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

jtob liked
ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

Posted by: Flint Ironstag
Posted by: Juan C. Yunis

Can you imagine how different the landscape would be if Apple had rolled out eGPU support with nMP in 2013?  I certainly can.  On second thought, it would probably severely decrease our chances of seeing mMP.  Such a shame, I would really like an updated nMP for a quiet workstation, plus a mMP for heavy lifting.

For sure man, I want them to release a new space gray Mac Mini 2018 with a quacore Core i7 with HT, 32GB of DDR4 and 4 thunderbolt 3 ports at full speed/lanes, only Intel GPU so it’s painless to add EGPU support. Having that i would skip using my MacBook for work at home/office.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

jtob and Username liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4