Late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + GTX1080Ti/[email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->Tb2 adapter) + macOS10.13 [DANgerous25]^  

RSS

danfalconar
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member
May 8, 2017 1:17 pm  

This guide is for iMac 5k users that wish to use eGPU. Please note that it is probably NOT suitable for the non-5k iMacs, but if anyone tries and can tell me either way I'll update this statement accordingly.

End State From This Guide

• Upon turning on your iMac, with the eGPU already powered up and plugged in, your iMac 27" screen will served by the internal graphics card, and your external monitor will be served by the graphics card in your eGPU.
  • You will not need to do any hot-plugging, or trying to time any special operations at a particular time. It will "just work" incredibly close to how you expect. (more on why close, but not 100% later - although there are potential workarounds/solutions in the pipeline).

Known Limitations/Problems:

• You need an external screen to a) set it up, b) ongoing usage.
  • You can't accelerate the internal iMac screen or use some of the other tricks in other posts to fool the system in the same way (e.g. using "ghost adapters"). Only your external monitor will be accelerated using the eGPU.
  • This particular guide only works for nVidia cards in the eGPU - don't try it for AMD! I've only tested with the GTX980TI but given the latest drivers there's no good reason why other nVidia cards won't work.
  • @goalque's awesome automate-eGPU script (see this post) doesn't work for the iMac 5k and will likely cause you to need a system restore to recover your system to a usable state. (see this post for a screenshot of what could happen to your system if you try).
  • [Update 10th May] MacOS Sierra seems to think that the resolution of the iMac 27" screen is 3840 x 2160, instead of the 5120 x 2880 that comes out of the box (see the second screen shot below). You can't select this resolution after using the solution in this guide. Hence if you need this resolution then don't attempt to follow this guide. Workaround: You can use a utility like SwitchResX to change the resolution to 5120 x 2880 (and many others), however it doesn't appear to be "Retina" quality. 
  • In implementing this solution your boot-up sequence will appear to be strange/broken. This is only a temporary glitch and all will be well once you log in. More on that later. (N.B. there is a proposed workaround but I haven't tested yet and will update this post in due course)
  • After you log in your system will sleep/wake automatically, causing a brief minor inconvenience - however you will be hands off and from that point on your system will behave like you would have expected it to
  • If you unplug your eGPU or power it down while the iMac is up and connected then the system will crash instantly
  • You have to disable System Integrity Protection to make this work.

Disclaimer: This info is provided in good faith, use it at your own risk. I strongly recommend making a system backup before you do anything. If there are any mistakes in this guide, or I learn anything new I'll update it accordingly. Hence I welcome your feedback.

Credits: This solution is entirely based on the great work by @Rastafabi, but to get to this point I have to give massive credit to @goalque, @nando4, and @theitsage. All four of them helped me through various hurdles with this system and others. Really I did nothing but test their solutions, ask them stupid questions, and try their patience. Well done guys! All of their work is subject to whatever licences/copyright that they cite in their own posts, so please pay careful attention to them before butchering/publishing their solutions.

Tested System (= what you will need):

• Late 2014 5k Retina iMac 27" (internal AMD Radeon R9 M295X) -> in theory any 5k iMac with Thunderbolt 2 should work
  • AkiTiO Node Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure -> in theory any Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure should work with this method
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI graphics card in the eGPU -> in theory any nVidia card for which there are Mac webdrivers should work, including Pascal-based cards. [Edit 20th May:] Also tested with a MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI, which incredibly put the Unigene Heaven score to 2600+ (up from 2100). I just swapped the cards, no change of drivers/software.
  • Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter -> I've seen one user report problems with a non-Apple adapter, however that was inconclusive and I haven't tested any others
  • Thunderbolt 3 cable
  • Dell P2715Q 4k 27" external monitor -> in theory most monitors should work, however I strongly recommend one with two input sources so that you can connect your iMac and the eGPU at the same time. I also recommend that the external screen is 4k or 5k so that you can at least have the same apparent resolution on both screens.
  • DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable -> or suitable video cable from your eGPU to your external monitor
  • MiniDisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cable -> or suitable cable from your iMac to your external monitor (N.B. I discovered the hard way that a Thunderbolt 2 cable from iMac to external monitor won't work, the cable must be MiniDisplayPort compatible)
  • MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 (although I also had it working on 10.12.3, it may work on other versions but I didn't try) / [Edit: 20th May] also works with MacOS Sierra 10.12.5.
  • [Edit: 20th May] updated nVidia web driver to 378.05.05.15f01, after installing this update [with the 1080TI] my Unigene Heaven benchmark is now 2951! It was 2180 with the 980 TI and the previous version of MacOS and nVidia webdriver.

Implementation Steps:

1. Perform a system backup using your favourite utility. I strongly recommend testing your backup so that you know it works and know how to restore it. I have no affiliation to, but recommend CarbonCopyCloner which is well worth the few dollars that it costs.
  2. Connect your iMac to your external monitor using the MDP -> MDP cable (or similar appropriate connection) and ensure that the iMac desktop extends to both screens.
  3. Set your external monitor to be your primary monitor from System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement, drag the white bar that is presumably at the top of the iMac screen to the top of the external monitor screen. (I say presumably as maybe you changed the orientation before). This is important, because you probably want apps to start on your accelerated screen. If you start an app on your iMac screen then it won't benefit from the eGPU acceleration.
  4. Build your eGPU, ensuring that the graphics card is correctly seated, all the power cables are in place (internally and externally), and that you have a suitable video cable that will go from your eGPU to your external monitor. Don't plug it in yet.
  5. [Optional but highly recommended if you are an Akitio Node user] Use a Windows TB3 enabled machine, or go to the vast trouble of getting a Bootcamp session that works, to update the Thunderbolt firmware of the Akitio Node. This will significantly improve its performance (according to my unofficial testing it did, at least).
  6. Connect your TB2 -> TB3 connector to your TB3 cable. Plug in the TB2->TB3 connector to the eGPU using the TB3 port. (N.B. I have not tested it the other way around, i.e. with the connector at the iMac end). Don't plug the other end into your iMac yet.
  7. Disable System Integrity Protection - it's not optional if you want eGPU to work. Do this at your own risk. The steps are:
    1. Restart the iMac
    2. Hold CMD+R as soon as you've restarted, before the Apple logo comes up, and keep it held until you boot into Recovery mode
    3. Once into the Recovery mode select Terminal from the Utilities menu
    4. Type csrutil disable in the terminal, hit enter. It should confirm success.
  8. Reboot the iMac.
  9. Download and install the nVidia webdriver appropriate for the card you installed in your eGPU. Suggested link here. It will ask you to reboot, politely decline it as we'll reboot shortly.
  10. Download and install @Rastafabi's eGPU enabler package from this post (note that the post is kept up to date with new developments, so bookmark it).
  11. [Optional but highly recommended] In System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General change the "Require Password" dropdown to 5s (or anything other than immediate) as long as you're cool with this setting. Doing so will mean you won't have to log in twice when the system automatically sleep/wakes when we eventually restart. If you leave it at "immediate" then you will need to log in twice. Not a big deal for the security minded among you.
  12. Shutdown the iMac.
  13. Connect your eGPU to your external monitor using the appropriate cable. Change the input source on your monitor to the eGPU source (which of course at this point will be a black screen because everything is off!).
  14. Connect your eGPU via the TB3->TB2 Adapter -> TB3 Cable -> MDP Port on the iMac.
  15. Power on the eGPU (very little will happen).
  16. Power on the iMac. It will start to boot.
  17. If all is well, this is what you will see:
    1. Your iMac screen and your external monitor will start out black as normal.
    2. On your iMac screen after a short pause you'll see the white on black Apple logo with the progress bar which will begin to fill up.
    3. The progress bar will hit about 30-40% and will then stop.
    4. Your external monitor will now kick into life, the Apple logo will appear on it and the progress bar will continue from where it left off on the external monitor. The iMac screen will appear frozen at the 30-40% progress mark. Don't panic!
    5. Once the progress bar reaches 100% on your external monitor then your external monitor will then display the normal MacOS login screen. The resolution will probably look wrong. Your iMac screen will still be black with the Apple logo and progress bar at 30-40%. Don't panic!
    6. Log in.
    7. After you've logged in, assuming the package installer worked then your system will immediately sleep/wake. Your iMac screen will come to life, the resolution on your external monitor will resemble normality.
  18. You're done!

Problems?:

• If your system got to the iMac screen with the Apple logo and partial progress bar, then doesn't appear to do anything else: Switch the monitor external monitor source to be the iMac using the MDP -> MDP (or whatever) connection. Hopefully that restores your login screen and you will thank me for suggesting you have this solution in the back pocket. Log in, if the system doesn't automatically sleep/wake then invoke sleep/wake yourself. Go through the instructions and try to troubleshoot. If you still have problems then post in this thread.
  • If you really can't get anything to work then boot into recovery mode (CMD+R), re-enable System Integrity Protection using the Terminal and entering csrutil enable. Reboot, your system should resemble normal. Start troubleshooting.
  • If all else fails and you want to uninstall: See the uninstall section in this post which will be kept up to date.

Screens We Like to See:

[Edit 20th May: Updated Heaven benchmark using 1080TI, MacOS 10.12.5 and nVidia Webdriver 378.05.05.15f01]

Good luck!!!

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

gmcgale, theitsage, mattburrito and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
SaturnV
(@zach)
Eminent Member
May 9, 2017 5:48 pm  

So close to getting this working!

I do have it up and running, but my iMac retina is reporting 3840 x 2160 under About this Mac, and the Display Preferences is reporting 1920 x 1080, so the 'retina' of the display, which is a HiDPI setting, is wrong. The 'default' for the display is not right, and is reporting 3008 x 1692:

When it's set on that it freezes up and becomes unusable. 

So it does work, but the 'retina' portion of the display is not quite right. 

I also have it working with a ghost adapter. I have File Vault enabled, for just me, 1 user on the computer with no other users or profiles setup, and the login screen is definitely Retina resolution, then once you login it changes to be less crisp at the 'should be default' 2560 x 1440. 

It hangs for about 15 seconds then logs in just fine with the ghost adapter. 

Any thoughts in the Retina display quality issue?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
danfalconar
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member
May 10, 2017 11:46 am  
Posted by: Saturn V

So close to getting this working!

I do have it up and running, but my iMac retina is reporting 3840 x 2160 under About this Mac, and the Display Preferences is reporting 1920 x 1080, so the 'retina' of the display, which is a HiDPI setting, is wrong. The 'default' for the display is not right, and is reporting 3008 x 1692:

When it's set on that it freezes up and becomes unusable. 

So it does work, but the 'retina' portion of the display is not quite right. 

I also have it working with a ghost adapter. I have File Vault enabled, for just me, 1 user on the computer with no other users or profiles setup, and the login screen is definitely Retina resolution, then once you login it changes to be less crisp at the 'should be default' 2560 x 1440. 

It hangs for about 15 seconds then logs in just fine with the ghost adapter. 

Any thoughts in the Retina display quality issue?

Hey Saturn V, below is a pic of my various setup screens. Mine looks slightly different to yours - I haven't noticed anything wrong with the resolution though. Is mine wrong as well?

Edit: I did a bit more digging, indeed in my display settings it is suggesting the 27" iMac display has 3840x2160 resolution. However in System report it recognises the iMac display as resolution 5120 x 2880 Retina. I tried the great utility [with which I have no affiliation] SwitchResX to see what resolutions I could switch to, as I couldn't find a way to switch to this resolution through the normal display settings. It is indeed possible to select 5120 x 2880 using SwitchResX, however it doesn't appear to be the "Retina" resolution, and even using SwitchResX this didn't affect the resolutions that could be selected using the standard display settings.

I tried restarting with eGPU unplugged. No change in resolution. Hence this appears to be something weird with the eGPU install. I had something similar with @goalque's script, but the main difference in that case was that the HiDPI version of 2560 x 1440 couldn't be selected, whereas with @Rastafabi's eGPU enabler it is selectable and is in fact the exact resolution I want to use. Very strange.

@Rastafabi - any ideas? For now I will update the main guide with this as the resolution.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

SaturnV liked
ReplyQuote
Supaiku
(@supaiku)
Trusted Member
May 16, 2017 2:05 pm  

Hey Dangerous,

Thanks for this amazing guide! I recently picked up an Akitio Node and have been having issues getting the firmware update and power to the graphics card. I think I picked up the same card as you, the GTX 980ti. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this new thread I just created going over my issues that would be most appreciated! https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/problems-getting-akitio-node-to-work/

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
danfalconar
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member
May 17, 2017 12:34 am  
Posted by: Supaiku

Hey Dangerous,

Thanks for this amazing guide! I recently picked up an Akitio Node and have been having issues getting the firmware update and power to the graphics card. I think I picked up the same card as you, the GTX 980ti. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this new thread I just created going over my issues that would be most appreciated! https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/problems-getting-akitio-node-to-work/

Hey there, I see that you already got some helpful replies in the other thread. Just a few points:

• you don't need to update the node firmware for it to work
  • updating the firmware from a boot camp machine is quite tricky, you will likely need to trawl through the forums and try lots of different methods to get it working. I don't think it's possible using a tb3->tb2 adapter
  • usb c is not thunderbolt 3, your port needs to be a tb port otherwise it won't work
  • you mention in the other thread about power issues and fans not spinning: on my node the fans on my 980 ti don't spin until I have an active tb3 connection. So maybe there is nothing wrong with your node's board (I hope so), and your problem is that you are not using thunderbolt
  • The 980 ti hybrid should work in the stock node. 

Regarding your imac 27" 2013, will be interesting to see if you get that working. I've only tested 5k using this method, I will update the guide based on your findings. 

ReplyQuote
davidcarson089
(@davidcarson089)
May 20, 2017 10:52 pm  

Hi,

I'm a video editor who just attempted to set up an eGPU with my 5K Retina iMac and ran into an issue.

My Setup:
iMac, Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015
macOS Sierra v. 10.12.4
4 GHz Intel Core i7

Akitio Node
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
TB3 to TB2 adapter
TB2 cable

NVIDIA Web Driver v. 378.05.05.05f02
NVIDIA CUDA driver v. 8.0.83

As per the instructions, here is how I connected everything:
iMac (Thunderbolt) > mini display to HDMI adapter > HDMI cable > HDMI input 1 on External Monitor
eGPU (Akitio Node & GTX 1060) > HDMI cable > HDMI input 2 on External Monitor
eGPU (TB3) > TB3 to TB2 Adapter > TB2 Cable > Thunderbolt Port on iMac

Before I attempted this, when I connected the eGPU to the iMac, the computer would not boot with the Node powered on. I could only turn it on after the computer had booted. The iMac recognized the Akitio Node, and did not say it was “Unsupported”, which I took as a good sign. Naturally, it did not recognize that there was a graphics card inside it.

I followed the steps here and everything worked fine up until the actual rebooting phase. The computer shut down, but once it restarted, it did not make the startup chime sound, and the screen remained black. I know the iMac did turn on because my superdrive made a noise, and I could feel the fan running at the bottom.

Not sure what else to do, I turned off the iMac, turned off the Node, then turned the iMac back on again, and immediately after the startup chime, turned the Node on. The iMac then turned on much like described in the guide, and I was able to log in. It did the sleep/awake, and now the iMac still recognizes the Akitio Node, and in the Graphics/Display tab under System Information, shows an NVIDIA Chip Model, instead of a GTX 1060. The CUDA driver preferences also seems to recognize that there is a GPU attached, since when the Node is turned off, it says in red letters “No GPU Detected”.

Not sure what else to do at this point apart from resetting everything and trying again. If I’m unable to get it working I’ll have to return everything within 30 days of purchase, so any help to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info, or screenshots.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
danfalconar
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member
May 21, 2017 12:39 pm  

Hi @davidcarson, sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you, but I do have one observation from my experience: For whatever reason shutdown seems to take a lot longer than usual, which might explain your situation with the black screen. I find that if you wait then eventually you will get the chime and Apple logo. I wonder if when you switched off if that caused it some kind of corruption?

I did some searches for "nvidia chip model", and most of the results relate to people with Hackintoshes that are running into similar problems. Various solutions seem to be enabling and disabling nvram flags (but they are using Clover to do this), doing a full re-install, or re-installing updated web drivers.

The very odd scenario about your situation is that you couldn't boot with the eGPU connected - I didn't have that problem. If you do searches on this forum you will find many such posts and maybe find out why/a solution. 

Other than re-installing or perhaps trying to update MacOS and then the webdriver, you could also ask other experts in this forum for advice. The symptoms you have are relatively common but for different setups.

All the best!

ReplyQuote
davidcarson089
(@davidcarson089)
May 21, 2017 11:36 pm  

Thanks,

I'll give it another shot, this time I'll see if there's just a long delay for some reason for my machine to boot with the eGPU connected.

ReplyQuote
mattburrito
(@mattburrito)
May 23, 2017 2:32 pm  

David,

I have the same exact iMac as you. Try this (It worked for me, and I had the Nvidia Chipset problem) - 

Unplug your Akitio Node from the computer, but make sure it is turned on. Turn your iMac on. When it chimes and the Apple logo appears, plug in your Akitio Node (via Thunderbolt) immediately. For whatever reason this hot plug timing trick is the key to my success, and I cannot get it up and running otherwise. 

Another side note that may or may not be related - I do not need external monitor acceleration, so I do not have anything running from my card to my external. The only connection is from the Akitio Node to the iMac/

Good luck!

Late 2015 27" iMac 5k | Akitio Node 3 | TB3 to TB2 Adapter | ASUS Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti | ASUS External Display
---------
Octane Renderer for Cinema 4D

ReplyQuote
mattburrito
(@mattburrito)
May 24, 2017 6:10 pm  

Has anybody made any ground with the iMac screen resolution issue? I can't begin to understand why it would go down in resolution, just curious if anybody else has poked around more.

Late 2015 27" iMac 5k | Akitio Node 3 | TB3 to TB2 Adapter | ASUS Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti | ASUS External Display
---------
Octane Renderer for Cinema 4D

ReplyQuote
(@awer25)
August 28, 2017 5:42 pm  

Unfortunately I still can't get this to work.  I have a 2017 5K iMac with TB3 and an Akitio Node w/1080 Ti.  I followed the instructions above verbatim and both the web drivers and eGPU enabler installed correctly as far as I can tell.  System Report shows the 1080 Ti correctly, along with the built in Radeon 570 (no mention of an iGPU listed) in Graphics/Displays.  I also see the Node correctly under the Thunderbolt tab.  However when I boot with the external display (Dell P2715Q 4K) set to the eGPU, it stays black and in power save mode.  If I switch the input to the iMac it works fine but no acceleration.  I also tried using it in Windows 10 via Bootcamp but Windows won't recognize the Node at all. 

At this point I can't use my eGPU in either Mac or Windows which is kind of disappointing since I purposefully got a 2017 iMac to get TB3.  Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member
September 6, 2017 9:33 am  

Are you using 10.12.6 Sierra or the 10.13 High Sierra beta, which is not yet supported? Also this new hardware might be addressed differently from software and the injected files might corrupt the internal acceleration as well. You could try installing my enabler without monitor output for testing and report back.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
digitalinnovations
(@digitalinnovations)
October 18, 2017 1:04 pm  

@davidcarson : Did you ever find the solution to your issue? Also, was it a worthwhile investment? Did you see any improvements in render / playback speeds? I am an editor as well and it difficult to find any conclusive info on whether it works as intended or not. It appears to work for gaming / second screen applications but I just want it to be used for processing... Obviously, my hope is to improve performance (in DaVinci Resolve and FCPX mostly) so I'm eager to find out if I should take the plunge or not.

I'd appreciate any info you can provide. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 28, 2017 9:49 am  

Upgraded to macOS10.13

From [APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Posted by: DANgerous25

Thank you yifanlu for sharing this great solution! Here is my experience/problem with your solution:

System: Late 2014 iMac 5K 27", Akitio Node, nVidia 1080TI, Apple TB3->TB2 adapter, Dell 27" 4k P2715Q, Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra, FileVault protection enabled

Symptoms: After initial filevault login screen, both iMac and internal screens go black (eGPU plugged in) and system does not seem recoverable

Works after: Workaround of plugging in eGPU after logging in, then log out/log in (reboot does not work)

Solved: Longstanding problem of being unable to use eGPU with nVidia and getting 5120 x 2880 resolution (woohoo!)

Outstanding: Having to hot-plug, really hoping there is a solution!

If there is any info/logs or anything I can provide please let me know, and I'm happy to test for the Late 2014 iMac 5k.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
komatorie
(@komatorie)
December 1, 2017 9:44 pm  

my atikio thunder3 doesn't look like it can handle my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3. is there any possible way to get better power supply for the card?

ReplyQuote
danfalconar
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member
December 23, 2017 2:18 am  

For some reason I can't edit the original post. The original post relates to the setup on MacOS Sierra. For MacOS High Sierra the installation is actually considerably more simple and can be done by following this post. Therefore I strongly recommend using High Sierra for eGPU with the Late 2014 iMac.

The setup is very similar to the new iMac Pro (the only differences being the use of an apple TB2->TB3 adapter and using a current build of the NVIDIA webdriver which is not available for iMac Pro at the time of writing). See my guide here.

ReplyQuote