2014 27" iMac 5K (R9 M295X) [4th,4C,K] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO No...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 27" iMac 5K (R9 M295X) [4th,4C,K] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 [DANgerous25]  

of  2
  RSS

awer25
(@awer25)

Unfortunately I still can't get this to work.  I have a 2017 5K iMac with TB3 and an Akitio Node w/1080 Ti.  I followed the instructions above verbatim and both the web drivers and eGPU enabler installed correctly as far as I can tell.  System Report shows the 1080 Ti correctly, along with the built in Radeon 570 (no mention of an iGPU listed) in Graphics/Displays.  I also see the Node correctly under the Thunderbolt tab.  However when I boot with the external display (Dell P2715Q 4K) set to the eGPU, it stays black and in power save mode.  If I switch the input to the iMac it works fine but no acceleration.  I also tried using it in Windows 10 via Bootcamp but Windows won't recognize the Node at all. 

At this point I can't use my eGPU in either Mac or Windows which is kind of disappointing since I purposefully got a 2017 iMac to get TB3.  Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Are you using 10.12.6 Sierra or the 10.13 High Sierra beta, which is not yet supported? Also this new hardware might be addressed differently from software and the injected files might corrupt the internal acceleration as well. You could try installing my enabler without monitor output for testing and report back.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
digitalinnovations
(@digitalinnovations)

@davidcarson : Did you ever find the solution to your issue? Also, was it a worthwhile investment? Did you see any improvements in render / playback speeds? I am an editor as well and it difficult to find any conclusive info on whether it works as intended or not. It appears to work for gaming / second screen applications but I just want it to be used for processing... Obviously, my hope is to improve performance (in DaVinci Resolve and FCPX mostly) so I'm eager to find out if I should take the plunge or not.

I'd appreciate any info you can provide. Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Upgraded to macOS10.13

From [APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Posted by: DANgerous25

Thank you yifanlu for sharing this great solution! Here is my experience/problem with your solution:

System: Late 2014 iMac 5K 27", Akitio Node, nVidia 1080TI, Apple TB3->TB2 adapter, Dell 27" 4k P2715Q, Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra, FileVault protection enabled

Symptoms: After initial filevault login screen, both iMac and internal screens go black (eGPU plugged in) and system does not seem recoverable

Works after: Workaround of plugging in eGPU after logging in, then log out/log in (reboot does not work)

Solved: Longstanding problem of being unable to use eGPU with nVidia and getting 5120 x 2880 resolution (woohoo!)

Outstanding: Having to hot-plug, really hoping there is a solution!

If there is any info/logs or anything I can provide please let me know, and I'm happy to test for the Late 2014 iMac 5k.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
komatorie
(@komatorie)

my atikio thunder3 doesn't look like it can handle my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3. is there any possible way to get better power supply for the card?

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

For some reason I can't edit the original post. The original post relates to the setup on MacOS Sierra. For MacOS High Sierra the installation is actually considerably more simple and can be done by following this post. Therefore I strongly recommend using High Sierra for eGPU with the Late 2014 iMac.

The setup is very similar to the new iMac Pro (the only differences being the use of an apple TB2->TB3 adapter and using a current build of the NVIDIA webdriver which is not available for iMac Pro at the time of writing). See my guide here.

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FreddieTheOne
(@freddietheone)

Hallo,

on my iMac 5 k late 2014 I like to use a Nvidia 1080Ti card. 
I try to install the drivers from „learex“ (Github) – the system recognizes the card but 
booting end with a blurred starter screen.
Any suggestions?

I am looking forward hearing from you
kind regards

ReplyQuote
 of  2