Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac 4k + Rx [email protected] ((AkiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + MacOS10.12.6&Win10 [FamousButNotReally]^  

RSS

FamousButNotReally
(@famousbutnotreally)
September 23, 2017 8:20 am  

Howdy y'all. Before I start, I just want to say this is my first implementation guide, so bear with me. This is going to be a short post since getting eGPU to work was surprisingly simple in my case.

Specs:

Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac 4k

i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHZ, with Intel iris pro 6200 graphics. No dgpu.

8 GB of RAM

AkiTiO Node with Gigabyte Windforce Rx 460. Link.

MacOS 10.12.4-10.12.6

eGPU setup in mac was fairly simple as I only had to follow Goalque's guide. (There's a segment for AMD cards, I didn't follow that and it worked fine, I'd still recommend you to do as he asks though.) No issues arose and eGPU worked great, except Elite Dangerous wouldn't work properly. No matter what settings I altered, it refused to launch externally and would always use the iGPU. I still haven't gotten it to work here.

Windows 10 Anniversary 1607 update

eGPU setup in windows was a breeze, no fancy dsdt or bios altering required. I booted into a brand new install of windows 10 with egpu connected and got error 12 (unsurprisingly, I had been putting off installing windows in fear of dsdt overrides.) For kicks, and since it was late and I didn't feel like surfing the web for solutions, I uninstalled the drivers (using device manager) of the rx 460 and rebooted. I checked device manager and there were no errors, and egpu ran great from there on. I'm using driver version 22.19.162.4 (Crimson 17.1.1) as reported by gpu-z.

Additional Notes

Always use the right most thunderbolt port to plug in your egpu (the one closest to the usb ports) and make sure your egpu setup is on and connected before turning on your computer. Using the left port or hot plugging the egpu will result in error 12 or 18 (Or, in MacOS' case, egpu will not be recognized.)

That's all folks.

Again, I'm sorry for the terrible formatting and sorry for how hard it is to read, but I'm not used to all of this forums' bells and whistles. I'll edit it on a later date (If you can even do that) to fix up the format. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Eminent Member
March 16, 2018 3:33 am  

Has anyone with this iMac configuration used an Nvidia GPU? I have installed the Aorus Gaming Box 1070 using Bootcamp without much issue, however Nvidia Optimus does not engage! The eGPU only sees external displays. Do I need to install laptop drivers to engage Optimus?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote