Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K (TB2) Razer Core X w/ AMD Sapphire RX 480 BOOTCAMP

Notifications
Clear all

Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K (TB2) Razer Core X w/ AMD Sapphire RX 480 BOOTCAMP  

RSS

mjc7900
(@mjc7900)

Hello everyone!  I am new to the forum and new to the technology of eGPUs.  

I have a late 2015 27" 5K Retina iMac running Catalina 10.15.4 with the following specs:

• 4 GHz Quad Intel i7 6700k
  • 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR2 RAM
  • 1TB SSD
  • Internal GPU - AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB
  • External GPU (Razer Core X) - AMD Sapphire RX 480.  
    • (TB3 port connected to Mac's TB2 port via adapter)

I enabled the TB2 eGPU connection via the purge-wrangler script and the eGPU seems to work flawlessly and easily in OS X.

I had the latest build of Windows 10 installed under Bootcamp (200 GB partition) and when attempting to boot into windows after the initial install of the eGPU I got a black screen that persisted even when the eGPU was turned off.  I used Bootcamp assistant to delete the partition, thinking I would want to come back at this from scratch if there was a way.

Based on those specs, is there any way I can get the eGPU to work under BootCamp on this Mac while using the internal Retina screen?  Would I have to use an external monitor?

I am so new to this topic, I just want to know if its possible with this hardware before attempting to reinstall Windows under Bootcamp and trying to get the eGPU to work with it.

Thanks to anyone and everyone for reading!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@mjc7900, Try removing Apple-provided amd drivers using DDU and installing AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers. Then proceed to set up eGPU by booting with it plugged in. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote