2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [Leoben]
First of all, i really want to thank all of you, this forum is just amazing, you are doing a really great job and thanks to you i now have the perfect gaming netbook i ever dreamed about.
This is my first post and i want to share my experience with you.
I love my MacBook pro, it's the perfect machine for me. I also loved my PC for gaming but i decided to sell it il order to buy a great enclosure for a great video card. My aim was to transform my MacBook Pro into a macOS powerful working Station using Metal and FinalCut Pro, and also Windows 10 for Gaming. I play WOW and also demanding games such as The Witcher 3.
The Venus is connected to:
- My external TimeMachine HDD
- A Logitech G19 Keyboard with built-in USB Hub on witch are plugged my G13 and a G600 Mouse.
- The 3-port USB 2.0 hub of my BENQ Monitor
- Internal 256GB Samsung SDD
Using MacOS High Sierra Beta 4
The installation was just a dream of plug-and-play, i won't get details on it as many others did before me.
Using Windows 10:
Here are the steps i followed to make it work:
- Installing latest Windows 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION with BOOTCAMP on internal SSD (250GB for MasOS+250GB for Windows)
- Let bootcamp install all the drivers, then upgrade to CREATORS EDITION
- Once it's done, go to Device Manager > by connections and disable "PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18"
- Make sure your computer is set to boot on BootCamp partition
- Shut down the computer
- Make a USB Stick with Apple_set_os.efi as describe here (Thank you so much Goalque!)
- Plug the USB Stick on a free usb port of the Mantiz Venus
- Turn the Mantiz ON and plug the TB3 cable on the rear left TB port of the Mac (the nearest from ESC key)
- Hold the ALT key on the keyboard and turn on the Mac. Then choose to boot with external USB Stick (EFI boot). No need to hotplug the TB3 cable at windows logo.
- Let the magic do it's job: Windows 10 Creators Update downloaded all the drivers and recognized everything. I saw my BenQ monitor turning on, the "AMD Xconnect" Notification, and so on. It works just perfect, as it should.
I don't need to hotplug, i think it's a really good thing 😉
The USB Stick stays plugged into the Mantiz and everytime i want tu use Windows with EGPU i boot with the Alt key as described in step 9. The Mantiz Venus is recognized by Windows as a "Acer DynaVivid Graphic Dock"
Hope this post will be helpful.
It also looks like you wouldn't sacrifice much performance when running a mid-range GPU like the RX 580 on the internal instead of external display (in your case only about 12%)!
I am actually looking into buying the same (or very similar).
Do you by any chance have tried out PUBG on your setup and could share how it performs? 😛
@MBAir10: I'll try to play PUBG within a couple of days and i'll post the performance. Here is another bench:
@itsage: Yes, in fact i was very surprised by AMD Xconnect and i really like it!
I got the Akitio Node with Rx 480. I can't make it work on the left side in windows 10. Only on the right side. is there anything I can do fix that? its the 13¨ MBP late 2016 with touchbar. So I'm only getting TB 2 speed.
Great set up and great post... I wish I hadn't given up on my AMD card now....