2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [Leoben]  

of  5
  RSS

Leoben
(@leoben)
Eminent Member

EDIT 08-25-2017: I finally managed to resolve a lot of problems i had with this video card under Windows (lags, freezes, mouse disconnecting...) so i decided to re-write entirely this guide. The AMD Vega 64 is really amazing, and i recommend all of you to upgrade if you have a MacBook Pro with RX580.

Hello guys,

So i finally upgraded my config and changed my RX580 by a VEGA 64 (black edition with stock fan, from Sapphire).

First of all, i want to say this card is really heavy. And really loud, you can't hear it when idle but in charge, you know EXACTLY what coil whine means and your eGPU enclosure becomes a very efficient hair-dryer.

The installation under MacOS Sierra Beta is just plug and play, it works like a charm, and it is recognized as "AMD RX xxx 8Go". Luxmark says "Amd Radeon Vega 10 Prototype".

That said, i tried numerous games under High Sierra Beta 6, here are the results:

- Worls of Warcraft Legion: 1080p, preset 10 with FXAA High: 40-60fps

- Unigine Heaven: Won't load

- Unigine Valley: Glitches, distorsion... unusable

- Firewatch: Crash

- Borderlands 2: Crash

I hope that's only a problem from drivers and it should be resolved whith Final High Sierra. I hope Vega will be helpfull in Final Cut Pro using Metal 2...

So, guess what? i decided not to use MasOS for gaming, let's go to Windows.

Installing with Windows 10:

STEP 1: Install Windows ANNIVERSARY EDITION using BootCamp Assistant.

STEP 2: Boot into Windows, update all Apple Drivers and upgrade Windows to Creator's Update

STEP 3: Go to Device Manager > Device by Connection > Disable  PCI #9D18:

by connections

STEP 4: Connect your Mantiz Venus with AMD Vega 64 inside to the bottom-left Thunderbolt 3 port (The nearest to the TAB key). I had A LOT of issues when plugging it in the top-left port. Wait for windows to install drivers for components of the Venus (USB, SATA, Ethernet...)

STEP 5: Install latest AMD Drivers from their website

STEP 6: Reboot into MacOS and select BootCamp Disk as startup disk in system preferences

STEP 7: Reboot into windows using a USB Key plugged in one of the USB port of the Venus that you made from this guide with bootx64.efi:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/#post-1458

STEP 8: Enjoy Insanely good gaming performances Smile benchmarks on external display:

TimeSpy
Valley EX
superp EX
Heaven EX
FIRESTRIKE EX

Edit 2017-09-03: Trying 4K gaming.

Thi Vega 64 was not bought for gaming as main goal, but i wanted to see what could be possible if playing in 4K. And i'm not disappointed at all.

IMG 4365
IMG 4364

I connected the eGPU set with an HDMI 1.4 cable to my 4K-UHD LG TV 48 inches.

Using windows, i monitored FPS in those games:

Redout, 4K - EPIC settings

Redout 4K EPIC copie

DOOM, 4K - Vulkan - Ultra settings

Doom 4K Vulkan Ultra 60 fps copie

The Witcher 3 - 4K - Ultra without NVIDIA Hairwork

The witcher 3 4K Extreme copie

Although the results in FPS could not seem very high, i have to say that the gaming experience on that screen is very smooth, even with 30fps and i love playing on it.

By the way, i noticed when playing in 1080p Forcing VSYNC and limiting frames by 60 fps provides a very good gaming experience, as smooth as possible, with no lag or glitches and makes the card quieter as it is used at only 50%. It reduces also the power consumption. It must be the good setting if you play on a 60Hz screen.

This card is exactly what i needed, and with a good price (i payed 507€ with 2 games) it really worth it. Again, gaming is not my main target.

I'll post benchs of computing power in FCPX as soon as it is possible (for the moment, FCPX does not support eGPUS).

EDIT 2017-10-21: updated yesterday Windows 10 to Fall Creator Update.

Going back to device manager shows me PCI Express Root #9-9D18 is now activated, and no error 12 on the vega, everything is working fine. Meaning if you follow this guide, upgrade to Fall Creator Update before plugging your mantiz venus on the mac, STEP 3 is no more needed.

fallupdate

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ikir, mwb, Mymantiz_John and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for the report and implementation. Can you take a screen capture of Device Manager » View by Connection?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leoben
(@leoben)
Eminent Member

New captures this week end, coming soon!

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leoben
(@leoben)
Eminent Member

Updated Guide! works flawlessly in Windows 10.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Didi you have issue with power spikes with games and software under Windows or macOS? Let's hope next beta have better Vega drivers

MacBook Pro 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leoben
(@leoben)
Eminent Member

@ikir: no i had no such issues. But i did not use sierra as it can't load any game. I played hours in Windows on Mass Effect Andromeda and it works great. Do you have a vega too?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Leoben Can you run some benchmarks through the internal display? I have an RX Vega 56 en route and would like to have some baseline for AMD eGPU performance.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rolfl
(@rolfl)
Eminent Member

@ikir I had power issues with Vega 64 in Akitio Node where it appeared to shutdown PSU sporadicly during games in Win10. Swapped in a Corsair SF600 and problems went away.

Mac Mini 2018 + AKiTiO Node (Corsair SF600 PSU) + Gigabyte Vega RX 64

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Leoben
(@leoben)
Eminent Member

@Theitsage:

Here are a few bench from integrated LCD under Windows.

Benchs from 3D Mark simply won't load using internal display only.

IMG 4361
IMG 4362

So yes, if you only look at Valley, the performance drop between internal and external is really close to zero.

ppm and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you @Leoben! AMD XConnect team has been working hard to optimize eGPU internal display performance. The RX 580 eGPU I tested yielded very marginal difference between internal vs. external display.

ReplyQuote
 of  5