Setup & Software Discussions
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 ...

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [fraktial]  

RSS

fraktial
(@fraktial)

System specs:

Late 2016  13" Macbook Pro with touchbar (6th gen, 2 core i5)

eGPU hardware

EVGA GTX1080 AC3.0
Mantiz Venus eGPU enclosure

Installation steps 

My installation was a bit sloppy and roundabout as i started (accidentally) by following directions for the 15" iteration of my laptop. For windows, i think it was really just plug and play (meaning plugging in the eGPU when the dots are spinning on boot). See this build guide for more details.

Benchmarks Will update with pictures later, but for now im very impressed. I'm playing (albeit light games like rocket league and fortnite) at 3440x1440, 100+ fps.

Comments 
Damn this is incredible. performance gains from 2core i5 (the 550 iGPU that is) to 1080 are unbelievable. I didn't know there were this many pixels in my monitor

This topic was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Ha, look forward to seeing the hardware pics. 

Its a kinda surreal wxperience at first ey? Playing games on a small MacBook Pro that is...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

fraktial liked
ReplyQuote
fraktial
(@fraktial)

Yea, I've been using this machine for gaming for just over a year now, and consigned myself to low quality. I explored eGPUs, but decided that they were cost ineffective and underdeveloped. So i decided to build a dedicated gaming pc and hackintosh it (I need unix for work). I waited for gpu prices to fall and snagged a 1080. At that point, I had 2 options: spend 900 more for the rest of the parts of a pc (then possibly hackintosh and sell macbook) or pick up a used venus from nearby. Decided to give it a try, and don't think I'll ever build a dedicated pc for the forseeable future. This is so ideal. I haven't tried the eGPU in macOS because I've been on majove and there aren't drivers yet, but I look forward to the gains on that side as well

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Same boat as me. I’ve built hacks before but got so sick and tired of the maintenance, even if it was only once a year, and no pc hardware is as well built or designed as an Apple laptop, IMO.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote