2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [noler] // 120W AC adapter  

of  3
  RSS

noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

I have no idea how to upload pictures to this forum anymore? But here you have a few more:  http://imgur.com/a/z6Ttb

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // 120W AC adapter [build link]  

enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
JacobSyndeo
(@jacobsyndeo)

Interesting. Couldn't help but notice that you installed your fan with screws rather than the noise-reducing (per Noctua's silence obsession) rubber mounts. Maybe screws allowed yours to be pulled closer/tighter towards the frame.

But still, there's no way that the screws alone make up for the quarter-inch of extra space my card needs before fitting into the case, even if "fitting" means being flush against the fan like yours is.

As soon as my RMA replacement card with a working fan arrives (shipping says it's still 5 days out, ugh), I honestly might just ditch the Noctua fan. With the side ventilation I carved into my case, It might actually impede airflow, since the GPU's fan will pull air in from the side and push it out the back and front. Unless I reversed the Noctua fan's direction, I don't see it being much help. I'll just have to do thermal testing as soon as my replacement card arrives.

2016 MacBook Pro 13" (booted to Windows 10 AND macOS thanks to NVIDIA's new Pascal drivers!)
AKiTiO Thunder3 + EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6 GB + Dell DA-3 180W PSU + Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX fan

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

Good job Noler!!!! 

I'm jealous you could fit the fan. I bought this one, "Nanoxia Deep Silence 3-Pin PC Case Fan 60mm 2000rpm" which is pretty good silent fan, and did not fit. Same size of Noctua 60mmx25mm. The original is 60x20mm.

I was planning to try Noctua after what Jacob showed I don't know anymore.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // includes audio fix [build link]  

noler liked
ReplyQuote
JacobSyndeo
(@jacobsyndeo)

Posted by: dsaul

Good job Noler!!!! 

I'm jealous you could fit the fan. I bought this one, "Nanoxia Deep Silence 3-Pin PC Case Fan 60mm 2000rpm" which is pretty good silent fan, and did not fit. Same size of Noctua 60mmx25mm. The original is 60x20mm.

Do you also have the EVGA GTX 1060 SC? If so, I wouldn't recommend the Noctua or one with the same dimensions due to my own experience. But since Noler's setup seems to work, YMMV. *shrug*

2016 MacBook Pro 13" (booted to Windows 10 AND macOS thanks to NVIDIA's new Pascal drivers!)
AKiTiO Thunder3 + EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6 GB + Dell DA-3 180W PSU + Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX fan

noler liked
ReplyQuote
Luminair
(@luminair)

Posted by: JacobSyndeo

Good job Noler!!!! 

Do you also have the EVGA GTX 1060 SC? If so, I wouldn't recommend the Noctua or one with the same dimensions due to my own experience. But since Noler's setup seems to work, YMMV. *shrug*

The way you get it to work is simply to slowly work the GPU down into the socket.  It SLIGHTLY displaces the plastic shroud and fan, but it is negligible.  The secondary brace-like structure under the GPU's top shroud can be trimmed if you don't want to wedge the card.  I used very little pressure, and the card eventually wiggled into place.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

The way you get it to work is simply to slowly work the GPU down into the socket.  It SLIGHTLY displaces the plastic shroud and fan, but it is negligible.  The secondary brace-like structure under the GPU's top shroud can be trimmed if you don't want to wedge the card.  I used very little pressure, and the card eventually wiggled into place.

I guess this is the way to make it work. I just didn't think about what I actually did to make it fit. I just pushed the card down. However, be careful, you don't want to press to hard. 

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // 120W AC adapter [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

@noler, Luminair, I guess it could work that way. The only problem is in your set up the Noctua is blowing air into the enclosure. I got better temperature results when blowing the hot air out (with the standard fan).

If you flip the Noctua then the EGVA plastic cover will be touching the fan itself stoping it from work.

Can you confirm that?

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 // includes audio fix [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Luminair
(@luminair)

If you flip the Noctua then the EGVA plastic cover will be touching the fan itself stoping it from work.

Can you confirm that?

This is accurate in my case.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ihiro42
(@ihiro42)

@noler Nice setup. One question is the the Noctua with a 3 pin or 4 pin connector?

ReplyQuote
dsaul
(@dsaul)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ihiro42

@noler Nice setup. One question is the the Noctua with a 3 pin or 4 pin connector?

You can cut the wires and connect them, Noctua will work fine with 2 wires. Or you can buy something like this  http://m.ebay.com/itm/400589026353?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&_mwBanner=1.

noler liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3