2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [noler] // 120W AC adapter  

of  3
  RSS

JacobSyndeo
(@jacobsyndeo)

Posted by: Luminair

Posted by: dsaul

If you flip the Noctua then the EGVA plastic cover will be touching the fan itself stoping it from work.

Can you confirm that?

This is accurate in my case.

Seconding this. My RMAd GPU (with a working fan this time!) arrived, and it pulls air in from the front and blows it out the left and right sides, relative to the front faceplate of the GPU. Relative to the front of the Thunder3 itself, this means the GPU pulls air in from the left side and pushes it out the front and back, so if you're wanting to run it closed, you'll want to drill some kind of air inlet into the left wall of the Thunder3 to allow the GPU to breathe.

There's lots of good inspiration for ventilated case mods in this thread:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/

I'm personally quite fond of 1.1 and 1.2, and replicated this for my Thunder3 with a jigsaw and some screen mesh, both relatively cheap at Home Depot.

2016 MacBook Pro 13" (booted to Windows 10 AND macOS thanks to NVIDIA's new Pascal drivers!)
AKiTiO Thunder3 + EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6 GB + Dell DA-3 180W PSU + Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX fan

ReplyQuote
edwardsean
(@edwardsean)
Trusted Member

Hey Fellas, 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a similar set up: 2016 MacBook Pro 15" + Thunder 3 + EVGA  GTX1060 SC-6Gb. I had to do the dsdt override to get around the Code 12 error. My only issue on the software side is that I have plug in the Thunder3 at startup or it crashes Win10. For some reason it takes a good 2-3 min to recognize the unit and boot up. 

On the hardware side: I'm also having trouble fitting the Noctua fan with the GTX1060. After reading through this thread. I'm going to try and squeeze it, but like Jacob said, it seems to need more clearance.

The other option is to break off that little plastic section that extends over the heat sink fins on the GTX1060. It seems like I can just cut/break the supports and I can get rid of it. Do you guys think this would work or am I going to run into trouble. Will the heat sink fins possibly melt the plastic of the fan if pressed right up against it? 

What do you all think? 

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
fireheadman
(@fireheadman)
Trusted Member

@noler

What did you use to cut the fan hole on the Thunder3?   Looks very clean.

edit.... I found the answer on another thread while sifting through builds (for others interested)...  110mm holesaw, followed up with very high grit sandpaper to polish the edges.

DAILY DRIVER: ⚡cMP 2010 (ⓄⓈ:DualBoot macOS 10.13.6/Windows 2016 [1803]) | ⒸⓅⓊ:3.47GHz Xeon X5690 (x12 core)
ⓇⒶⓂ:64GB 1333MHz DDR3 | ⓈⓈⒹ:1TB SSD (LiteON 512 -x4 - RAID1) w/Marvell Raid Controller | ⒼⓅⓊ: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11GB Founders Edition
⚡ Previous was MacMini 2011 w/AKiTiO Thunder2 | ⒼⓅⓊ:EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC Gaming

2011 Mac Mini [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 & Win10 [build link]  

noler liked
ReplyQuote
jamesjez
(@jamesjez)

@noler I have a question re the power supply. Why can't you use the built in power socket? It seems the Thunder3 supports 120w which is what the 1060 needs? Cheers!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3