2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 470 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 470 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3 [kukkis] // sound-fix & chassis mod  

of  6
  RSS

kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Finally got all the parts for my eGPU project. First have to say that without the help found from this forum it would not have been possible, so big thanks to you all!

My configuration:

MacBook Pro 13" non-touchbar, i5 2,0Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Iris 540

Thunder3 modded with Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX470 8GB connected via Displayport to HDMI cable to Benq projector, Dell DA-2 with Kareon kables' 6+2 Pcie cable

First I tried to get the everything to work while eGPU was already connected to the projector but MacBook Pro always hang on boot even though scripts went ok and I heard the "woosh" sound from eGPU. I uninstalled automate-GPU script with -uninstall option and started over. Here are the procedures's how I finally got eGPU to show in macOS with Metal supported:

The procedures:

1. Tried Thunder3 chassis with it's original power adapter and as it showed as not supported in macOS, disabled csrutil and run TB3 enabler. After that Thunder3 showed supported in macOS. 

2. Opened Thunder3 chassis, removed the fan, bent the box and put RX470 in place.

3. Connected Thunder3 to Dell DA-2 PSU with a modded cable which powers both RX470 (6+2-pin PCie) and Akitio Thunder3 (barrel plug)

4. Booted Mac and hot plugged eGPU to Mac

5. Run automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0 with command: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

6. Shut down and disconnected eGPU

7. Booted Mac, hot plugged the eGPU and rerun with command: sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a

8. Shutdown the Mac and connected an USB-C to USB-A adapter to other TB3 port

9. Booted the Mac and heard the "woosh" sound from eGPU fans. MacOS shows RX470 and Metal is also supported

9. Run script for unlocking all Baffin  units to boost OpenCL

10. Shutdown the Mac and booted again. MacOS shows RX470 and Metal is also supported

Now only one thing is unclear, when to connect eGPU to external display, i.e. to projector? Should it be done before booting or should one boot into macOS first and then connect eGPU to external display?

IMG 2130
2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

nice! Do you have problem at boot? My setup with RX480 gives me problem at boot, most time i can't boot with eGPU enabled 🙁

MacBook Pro 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Do you boot with eGPU connected to external display?

I didn't have much time to try but what I noticed was that when the eGPu was connected to external display the boot stuck and then mac rebooted couple of times until it got up but then RX 470 was not detected by macOS.

When I booted just eGPU connected to mac everything worked two times in a row but I did not have time to connect it to external display again and actually test it. 

I will post updates tomorrow evening when I have time to try more. 

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@ikir and @kukkis: Would you tell me your Boot ROM and SMC version:

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | sed -e '/Boot/,/SMC/!d'

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Sure, they are the following:

Boot ROM Version: MBP131.0205.B11

SMC Version (system): 2.36f96

Without external display connected to eGPU MacBook pro enables to boot with RX 470 detected and Metal supported but with display connected to eGPU MacBook pro stucks on boot.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

The “whoosh” sound is promising, but I’ve observed that it doesn’t guarantee acceleration on macOS 10.12.3 (16D30), MBP131.0205.B11 with an AMD card. Even though the system profiler shows correct information and Metal: Supported.

If you plug in your eGPU monitor after login, or try to run LuxMark v3.0, does the system freeze?

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

I don't have Luxmark unfortunately. The system freezes if I plug in the eGPU monitor after login. After couple of boots system gets up but no eGPU is detected even though monitor is working through eGPU. 

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@kukkis: I have a hunch that Apple has blocked AMD eGPUs completely on MBP131.0205.B11 firmware + non-macOS certified TB3 enclosure + direct TB3 connection. No way back.

To confirm, you can download LuxMark:

http://www.luxrender.net/release/luxmark/v3.0/luxmark-macos64-v3.0.zip

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Damn, really hope that is not the case. Thanks for the link. I will try Luxmark tomorrow. What kind of results should be expected?

Does Akitio Node with AMD work any better than Thunder3 or would it be also blocked if that is the case?

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Too curious to wait till tomorrow. Didn't notice that Luxmark was expected to freeze the mac and freeze it did. 

I booted with eGPU and with USB-C to AV adapter without monitor connected and RX 470 showed in the system information with Metal supported after boot. Started Luxmark and it showed also RX 470, it run some time but then system crashed. 

ReplyQuote
 of  6