2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 470 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS...

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 470 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3 [kukkis] // sound-fix & chassis mod  

of  2
  RSS

goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Yes, TB2 enclosures do work.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-13-mbp-rx480-sonnet-iii-d-os-x-10-12-2/#post-1551

On 10.12.3 as well. This weird AMD freeze issue occurs only via TB3-TB3 connection.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Ok, thank you for the info. Just realized that I would have to pay for Windows and I don't really need it that much.

Does anyone know is it possible to swap and connect Thunder2 PCB to Thunder3 inner metal closure or are the screw holes in the PCB's in different places? If they are similar one wouldn't have to mod another box at all, just use modded Thunder3 inner closure with Thunder2 PCB.

It is now down to either wait for 10.12.4 if it fixes or brakes anything or just buy Thunder2 and sell Thunder3.

late-2016 13" MBP + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

@kukkis - yes the Thunder2 and Thunder3 have the same motherboards, in future i will replace my Thunder2 with Thunder3 motherboard too i like the black and my mod, but i wait for better Macbook Pro Retina version, i don't like the latest one!

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the info @enjoy. I will do the other way around and just ordered Akitio Thunder2 for my AMD card. Not going to give up on this yet!

The plan is to put Thunder2 PCB to already modded Thunder3 inner closure so I can then sell Thunder3 in original order if it is not supported in 10.12.4. 

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Finally got my Akitio Thunder2 and Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and got the RX470 working. Unigine valley gives some nice benchmarks but Luxmark does not give more than above 2000 and Cinebench OpenCL score is also zero. Also FCPX crashes, tried to delete it and install again but install from App Store installs straight away the latest 10.3.2 version so no luck there. 

I wonder what is still wrong with the following procedure with macOS 10.12.3?

1.Installed Akitio Thunder2 PCB to Thunder3 already modded inner closure, connected Dell Da2 with barrel plug to Thunder2 and with Pcie 6+2 to RX470 and RX470 with either HDMI or Displayport to HDMI cable to display. 

2. Disabled SIP, rebooted and hot plugged eGPU with Thundebolt cable and Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter to MacBook Pro and run sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh command

3. Shutdown, unplugged the EGPU, rebooted, hot plugged and rerun sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh command

4. shutdown, plugged Apple USB-C to USB adapter, restarted and got the "swoosh" sound and metal was supported.

5. Run sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh ellesmere 36 command, shutdown, restarted and again got the "swoosh" sound and metal acceleration.

6. Run on external display Unigine Valley and got score 1436, run Cinebench but some scores were zero, run Luxmark and got score over 2000 only.

7. Run sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a command, shutdown, restart and same results.

8. Tried FCPX but it crashed.

I wonder does anyone have FCPX 10.3.2 working with AMD via Thunder2 to MBP TB3 port on macOS 10.12.3? The next steps is probably to start building a hackintosh and sell Thunder2, Thunder3 and AMD or just sell Thunder2 and AMD and get Nvidia like @ikir and many others.

IMG 2137

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

It’s better to try without the enable-baffin-CUs.sh. RX 470 has 32 CUs, not 36.

Not sure if that makes any difference. RX 480 passes -clpeak well, but mostly black in LuxMark. Let’s hope that Apple fixes this problem soon.

EDIT: LuxMark rendering works great the other way around: TB2 Mac -> Apple TB cable -> Apple TB2-to-TB3 adapter -> Devil Box -> RX 480.

--

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Thank you for the tip yet again @goalque. I tried without enable-baffin-CUs.sh by running automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall command and reinstalling it but it did not make any difference for OpenCL in Luxmark and Cinebench. Is there any harm using enable-baffin-CUs.sh even though RX 470 has four less CUs than enabled in the command?

@itsage have you tried the RX470 or some other AMD card in Akitio Thunder2, Thunder3 or Node connected to TB3 port in 2016 MBP with macOS10.12.3? It would be nice to know if someone has gotten also OpenCL to work with macOS 10.12.3.

The situation is not that bad any more as my eGPU and OpenGL are working every time and do not stuck in boot but of course OpenCL is what I am after.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Bad news... macOS 10.12.4 is a step back. My early tests indicate that USB-C device workaround doesn't work anymore. No acceleration with AMD card.

--

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Thank you for the heads up @goalque. Does the Nvidia cards work still in 10.12.4? If yes then it is time to change AMD to Nvidia.

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

Just checked that both Asus Gtx 780 Ti DC II OC 3Gb and MSI Gtx 970 Gaming 4Gb could be had used a little bit under two hundred. I wonder is it possible to power either one of those still with Dell Da-2 or is a desktop PSU now a must?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@kukkis: Yes, GTX 780 already works in 10.12.4 (no web driver required).

--

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

@goalque: Thanks, I will propably change Rx 470 to gtx 780 or similar then because I would like to keep Dell Da-2 as power source still if possible.

Tried some steam games with Rx 470 and they work great though. If only Final cut worked also I would be very satisfied. You guys have really done a lot to make all this possible!

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

@goalque: do you mean that Thunder3 tb-enabler does not work either at all or that just amd does not work any more in any enclosure in 10.12.4?

Was wondering how an R9 280x would behave?

@ikir: how has your experience with 780 ti been so far with Thunder3? That card really sounds tempting. 

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@kukkis: I don't use the TB3 enabler. I meant that AMD cards do not work in any enclosures, not even in TB2 if the other end is TB3. So TB3-to-TB2 adapter won't help with a TB3 Mac. You must use a direct TB2/TB1 connection. I am not yet sure about TB1/TB2 Mac + adapter + TB3 enclosure combination. My USB-C device workaround that is necessary to have acceleration on macOS 10.12.2/10.12.3 + AMDs, is no more workable on macOS 10.12.4 Beta. I am not saying it's impossible to find another workaround, but currently, there is no any.

--

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member

@goalque: Ok, thank you for the detailed clarification yet again! Apple is indeed taking good care limiting TB3 potential😂

Good to know that older TB connectionts to older macs still work. 

Really have to think my options now which way to go as I already have Thunder3 modded, unmodded Thunder2, Dell DA-2 and amd Rx470.

It's either changing amd to gtx780 with thunder3 and hoping dell da-2 has enough juice or buying 2012 mac mini and using it with amd Rx470 on thunder2 with Dell DA-2

ReplyQuote
 of  2