2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 x2 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Du...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 x2 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Duo) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Started following this guide... DDU killed my 5K, figured a fresh instal would be a great place to start only for Bootcamp assistant to fail and leave 15 tiny sliver partitions only visible in terminal so going to have to try an instal manually. Remember this happened before with newer W10 builds - 1604 or similar worked fine. Luckily when I went from 10.13 to 10.14 macOS cleaned the partitions up automatically, sadly a macOS reinstalls didn't work this time. I'll be back!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@omardesu This guide and the steps involved were to accommodate two AMD eGPU in Windows Boot Camp. The measures done were more extensive than most setups. If you're going to set up one AMD eGPU, it's certainly less involved. However don't expect it to be plug-and-play. Take a look at this build guide in which I used rEFInd to run RX Vega 56 with the 2016 15" MacBook Pro in Boot Camp.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

@itsage Yeah, I was hoping for it to be plug-and-play for the 1070 Ti, but I guess that's not going to happen.  Not a deal breaker for me though.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@omardesu Nvidia eGPU may be easier to set up. You can try hot-plug and see if it works. Windows 10 1809 provides "Graphics Options" to force internal display eGPU acceleration through dGPU.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

@itsage I tried it for a few hours today...  No bueno.  Hot plug was fine and rebooting with eGPU is fine w/out any hangups.  Installed the nVidia drivers, but I kept getting banged with Error 12.  I even tried to Disable/Enable the root controller but that resulted in Windows crashing and rebooting.  I'll give it try in a few days once I get back from a business trip, but I have little faith because of the Error 12.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cycloned
(@cycloned)

@itsage THANK YOU SO MUCH. 2 years after purchasing my Akitio Node and GTX 1070 I was finally able to get it running without any error. I wasn't able to test on Valley Benchmark due some error, but will confirm later.

Can I create a partition on my laptop and transfer the EFI files there? Using a thumb drive is a bit annoying.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@cycloned I'm glad to hear. Can you share a build guide or more information on macOS version as well as Windows 10 version?

It's possible to create a small FAT partition and transfer automate-eGPU EFI over. You can use Disk Utility and add a new partition. I believe the smallest amount it allows is 24MB. The screen capture below is my Mac mini 128GB internal drive.

ReplyQuote
Cycloned
(@cycloned)

@itsage Sure, but I think there's a problem.

The GTX 1070 really doesn't seem to be performing that well. I get 30 fps in PUBG and 40-50 in Apex legends. Changing the graphic settings in game doesn't do anything. I have verified that the games are using the 1070 and have the correct settings enabled through the nVidia panel.

Do you have any idea what's wrong? Is the internal laptop screen limiting the FPS?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@cycloned The internal display shouldn't limit FPS. Do you know if Vertical Sync was ON in these games. I personally have not played neither so I'm not familiar with their in-game settings. I know in Unigine benchmark software, if Vertical Sync was ON the FPS would not exceed the refresh rates of the monitor.

ReplyQuote
 of  3