2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.4 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I will install Windows in Boot Camp and run these tests soon.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
JonnieCache
(@jonniecache)

I have tried the same setup that you have here (except using an Akitio Node) and I can't get numbers anywhere close to yours. On Heaven 1600x900 8XAA windowed Extreme with my 1080Ti, I got only 36 frames per second and a score of 906!

I tried uploading a screenshot of the results, but received that HTTP 500 error again. There is something wrong with the site, I think.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

@itsage, have you had the opportunity to try with the latest firmware into the Venus?? Cheers

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Wrn2x
(@wrn2x)

I'm using the same setup except a Razer Core instead of Akitio Node, but I can't get macOS detects the eGPU, neither internal nor external displays. Could you specify the steps you take to make it work?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Posted by: JonnieCache

I have tried the same setup that you have here (except using an Akitio Node) and I can't get numbers anywhere close to yours. On Heaven 1600x900 8XAA windowed Extreme with my 1080Ti, I got only 36 frames per second and a score of 906!

I tried uploading a screenshot of the results, but received that HTTP 500 error again. There is something wrong with the site, I think.

That is pretty much the same result my T430s gets at the same settings with a 1050Ti as an eGPU over Thunderbolt1. I suspect your benchmark is running off the dGPU, not the eGPU.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
footbags
(@footbags)

Same with a 1080ti 🙁 Did you ever get it to work?

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member

Mantiz Venus 02 + 2016 MacBook Pro 15" + macOS Sierra + LG 38UC99

What exactly do I need to do to get this running when my Mantiz arrives? I understand that I don't need to run the TB3 script, but I will have to run a different script? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
peshay
(@peshay)

I just became my Mantiz Venus today and put in a MSI GTX 980ti Seahawk. It's recognised by macOS, so driver installation and all this worked well. But maybe someone can help me with some issues:

- if I close my MacBook Pro, the internal screen stays active, while I actually want to work with the external screen only

- I am not sure how I can force for example StarCraft to run with this graphic card. While running it on my external display, the mouse was really laggy the higher I put the graphic settings. Maybe I should attach my USB directly to the MacBook? I also thought that such a big GPU could handle the extreme settings in Starcraft, but it's actually pretty bad

- The Fan is pretty noisy, as it has an additional liquid cooling fan, I just put it in the case where it just had space, but I guess thats not really optimal. Any idea how I can optimise the setup to reduce the fan speed/noise?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I can't help with the other points but I have read that connecting peripherals to the USB ports on eGPUs often results in problems... (laggy, disconnection etc). I mostly read that reg the Razer Core so not sure about Mantiz but might be the same?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Posted by: peshay

I just became my Mantiz Venus today and put in a MSI GTX 980ti Seahawk. It's recognised by macOS, so driver installation and all this worked well. But maybe someone can help me with some issues:

- if I close my MacBook Pro, the internal screen stays active, while I actually want to work with the external screen only

- I am not sure how I can force for example StarCraft to run with this graphic card. While running it on my external display, the mouse was really laggy the higher I put the graphic settings. Maybe I should attach my USB directly to the MacBook? I also thought that such a big GPU could handle the extreme settings in Starcraft, but it's actually pretty bad

- The Fan is pretty noisy, as it has an additional liquid cooling fan, I just put it in the case where it just had space, but I guess thats not really optimal. Any idea how I can optimise the setup to reduce the fan speed/noise?

I wouldn't think that the Venus supports GPUs with liquid cooling. Maybe drill holes on the back cover where the SSD sits, and mount the radiator there if the tubes allow it. 

ReplyQuote
 of  3