2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

(@chris_cheng)

Thanks for your guide! I ran into bit of issue and planning to retry tonight, so if you can help me answering in few questions.

1. What's the reason behind disabling 1905 prior to connecting eGPU and driver installing and re-enabling it and disable 1901 afterward?

2. I have a 2017 15" Macbook Pro + Gaming Box + External Monitor. My initial setup was successful, but that was before this guide is available, so I did not disable/enable 1905/1901 during installation. It worked but a little buggy (Internal display flickers during boot up), so I retried with your guid. After disabling 1905, ran gpu-switch and connected to Gaming Box during boot-up. The Nvidia driver installation complained that no compatible card is available. What do you think this may related to? (The gaming box LED is on during rEFInd screen, but shut down once booted into Windows)

3. Do you keep your external display connected to gaming box during setup?

4. Do you power your Mac with original power or just the Gaming Box during setup?

5. Why are we using the right side of Thunderbolt 3 ports? Doesn't the left side have faster port where it's wired directly to the processor?

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

I just got my Aorus Gaming box and I'm setting it up with my 15" 2017 MBP.

So far I've observed:

-Only shows GTX 1070 if plugged into far away left side TB3 port. (If I use any other port it says "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"

-If I unplug the eGPU from the "correct" port and plug it back in, it doesn't even receive power. However, if I do the same to one of the ports where the eGPU is detected as "Video Controller", then it starts up again and appears in device manager as Video Controller.

-If the eGPU is plugged into the "correct" port (the one where it shows up as GTX 1070), and I disable that TB3 controller (1905), the eGPU loses power. When I re-enable one of two things happen:

1. --I get a windows loading screen and some screen resizing as if it's going to work, but then it crashes into a screen where it asks me if I want to go into advanced troubleshooting options. Unfortunately, the mouse doesn't work here so I have to force reboot out of here.

2. --The display dies and I get the 🙁 face blue screen in windows 10.

(I installed the Nvidia drivers via device manager, which is all I've done so far really).

Attached is a screenshot of the device manager

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

Hi Robot Ripper,

It looks like you are nearly there. The goal of the game is to free just enough resources for the eGPU to start.

Could you try disabling the PCIe Controller 1909 (since nothing is attached to it now), reboot, and see if that helps?

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@yka8247)

IMG 4165

@itsage Thank you so much Smile this totally work!

Mac supports both display as extended or mirrored, but windows will freeze my internal display no matter what.

Should I just use like this for now? Any ideas..?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

Thanks VxD! I got it to work with some disabling. I will do benchmarks in the morning and try re-enabling the downstream switch ports (I don't know why I disabled them).

workingegpu
disablethese

itsage and VxD liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hinza0188 I don't recommend letting the internal display stuck on the Windows logo like that. Try booting without the external monitor attached. Once you confirm the eGPU is working then attach the external monitor. You can also select to have screen output on Monitor 2 only which often time is the external monitor.

@Robot Ripper In the Thunderbolt 3 15" MacBook Pro, the x8 PCIe Controller 1905 is connecting to the left side TB3 ports. Therefore, when you have the eGPU connected on that side and proceed to disable the PCIe Controller 1905, it results in BSOD. The x16 PCIe Controller 1901 connects to the Radeon Pro discrete graphics card. The x4 PCIe Controller 1909 connects to the right Thunderbolt 3 ports.

My reason for choosing the right Thunderbolt 3 ports was due to trial and error. Your second Device Manager screen capture explains this in that disabling the x4 PCIe Controller 1909 by itself doesn't free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disable the x8 PCIe Controller 1905 frees up enough resources to get the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box going.

@Chris Cheng some of your questions may have been answered from my response to @Robot Ripper. My setup guide is to use internal display acceleration so there are more steps. I don't use an external monitor at all during boot up. In fact, having an external monitor attached to the eGPU during boot may result in stuck Windows logo like what @hinzao188 is experiencing. My guess the hand-off between boot up process confuses the eGPU whether to prioritize the internal display or external one.

Last but not least, the power issue you're seeing with the AORUS Gaming Box is a behavior I've noticed with eGPU enclosures that use Enhance PSU. There's no physical power button on these PSUs so the enclosures rely on power settings based on Thunderbolt connectivity. Sometimes things get messed up and the enclosure stuck in limb mode where it provides power delivery to the laptop but Thunderbolt eGPU functionality is not running. I've tried several workarounds and the most reliable way to do a power reset is to shutdown the laptop with the Thunderbolt cable attached then unplug the power cable from the Gaming Box. Wait for at least 15 minutes then plug it back it. It should be back in business.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hey @theITSage,

OK - thanks for the advice re: the location of Windows. I suppose I was trying to be a bit smart. I have a number of Mac hosts (2015-MBP, 2017-MBP, 2013-MacPro) and wanted to have something that would be flexible enough for me to use the eGPU on any of them but not to have to install Bootcamp/Windows on all of them. I only intend to use Windows for Steam, some 3D apps and for the time being some MoCap stuff too. Most of my workflow is Mac OS and long may that continue I hope. 

I viewed a YouTube video from a link somewhere on this site (or it may have been Mantiz's) that describes how to install a bootable W10 instance on an external SSD - I believe this process is identical for an SSD in the Venus. However, they did make a point that the install would be 'bound' to the host it was created on (i.e. MBP-2015) and could cause issues when trying to boot alternative hardware (i.e. MBP-2017, MacPro), or cause a license exemption error.

Do you concur? What do you think is best? 

BTW - I re-ran the automate script with the -a argument on the Mid-2015 MBP and now my POST boot issue is resolved. Great news but as I now have the 2017-MBP this is now kinda redundant. Good learning curve however and I will post my build for others benefit regardless.

Hypernurd

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Windows boot volume in my experience has never been host-independent. Windows 10 is getting better with configuring drivers when you connect the drive to a different computer it was installed on. However, licensing is still a big issue. You'll most likely deal with Activation warnings.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

@itsage

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that with the x4 controller disabled (1909) I can't use any peripherals via my right TB3 ports?

Also, I tried re-enabling both the Downstream ports and got error 12 again, but then disabled only one of them and now it works (1909 is still disabled).

I would actually prefer to use the right TB3 ports, but if I plug the eGPU into anything other than the far left one, then windows doesn't detect it as "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" but rather as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)." Is there any way to get around this?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Robot Ripper I've seen this behavior before during my testing. First make sure you have PCIe x8 Controller - 1905 (left TB3 ports) disabled and PCIe x4 Controller - 1909 enabled. Uninstall Nvidia drivers using DDU then restart the computer with eGPU connected to one of the right TB3 ports. You can proceed to download then install the Nvidia drivers and it should work.

ReplyQuote
 of  10