2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

hinza0188
(@yka8247)

@itsage | Thanks! I have repeated the set up process like 4 times and finally figured out.

Now the both displays work in Windows. I didn't realize after the rEFInd get set up, Bootcamp's device manager

showed me the Microsoft default driver rather than intel HD graphics 530. After I installed the iGPU driver, it appeared correctly.

I think the process above should mention that after applying DDU and apple_set_os.efi, we should instruct people to install iGPU driver

I didn't realize I was skipping this step because I assumed it already had iGPU driver installed in bootcamp.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hinza0188 I'm glad to hear it's working for you. That was my oversight. I think after many different setups, I missed the step of installing the iGPU drivers. I'm adding it to the OP.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@yka8247)

@itsage | Also, prior to  running gpu-switch integrated.bat , brand new bootcamp spits out "MSVCR120.dll is misssing" error.

We should mention this issue to readers and tell the easy fix: download vcredist_x86.exe from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

x64 version is already installed on bootcamp, but the .bat file requires 2013 Visual C++ x86 version on 64-bit Windows 10 OS as well.

This additional step and providing quick link fix should help out other readers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

@itsage

I followed the helpful steps you gave for using an external display and got mostly everything working on my 2016 15" MBPtb RP 460 with a Node Lite + 1050 ti. One issue I am having is that the fans in the MBP is not turning on when CPU temps get high. Does disabling PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 cause this? I also wonder if the other problem could be that the iGPU drivers isn't installed and still showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@yka8247)

Posted by: fivefoot13

@itsage

I followed the helpful steps you gave for using an external display and got mostly everything working on my 2016 15" MBPtb RP 460 with a Node Lite + 1050 ti. One issue I am having is that the fans in the MBP is not turning on when CPU temps get high. Does disabling PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 cause this? I also wonder if the other problem could be that the iGPU drivers isn't installed and still showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

@fivefoot13

I also commented above with suggesting we need to put additional steps; which includes when we see Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, we should install iGPU driver so it appears "Intel HD530" correctly on device manager. If you keep see the MS Basic Display Adapter on device manager, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER. I had to re-do the entire process all day until I figure that fact out...

Also, disabling PCIe Controller x8 - 1905  should not cause anything related to the fan. that PCIe 1905 port only controls the left side TB3 ports in the Macbook hardware. It's one of the new macbook's feature(?) that they don't run the fan up until it's really bad. I played some video games on this setting (2016 MBP 15'' i7-2.7GHz/RP455) + (Gigabyte Auros Gaming Box 1070) and it did what it suppose to do with clear performance. Wait until it really gets ready to explode, you will see the fan running right before it actually does explode. While I was rebooting more than 20 times within an hour, it's temperature were around 70-ish Celcius but didn't run fans.

By the way, there's last step that you shouldn't forget -> re-enable PCIe Controller x8 - 1905  and disable PCIe Controller x16 - 1901 so the dGPU (RP460 in your case) gets disabled. From that point, mackbook now takes the eGPU as primary source. Disabling PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 helps freeing resources to activate eGPU, but keep this disabled will really disables functionality of your left side USB-C ports.

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

@itsage

Is there any chance that the PCIe x4 Controller - 1909 has something to do with the aux port on the right? No audio devices are able to be detected if plugged into the aux port (and the system speakers, Cirrus, don't work either even though windows "thinks" they are). I'll try disconnecting the eGPU and see if this brings back the audio.

Something that I'm having trouble understanding: With Controller 1909 (x4) disabled, the right side TB3 ports shouldn't work (this is my understanding). However, while the eGPU was running and 1909 was indeed disabled, I could connect a TB3-VGA 1920x1200 external display and had it work perfectly. The eGPU at this time was connected to yet another 2560x1600 display, and I could drag games/windows between the two displays without a problem. When I go into Display Settings (windows) and select Display Adapter properties, I can see that the Radeon Pro 560 is driving the 1920x1200 display (the one connected to the right side TB3 port), and the GTX 1070 is driving the 2560x1600 display. What confuses me is how both the right side TB3 ports were able to drive the extra display even though the controller managing those is disabled. (I had both the left side TB3 ports occupied with the Aorus and a USB Hub).

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

@hinza0188

Thank you for your response. I will see if I can install the iGPU drivers after playing on it for a while. If not, I'll start from scratch and go through the whole process again. Appreciate the help and will post my results. 

@robot ripper

I had issues with the audio as well. When I disabled then enable the sound in device manager the headphone jack and speaker worked. 

hinza0188 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Audio issue is common on the TB3 MacBook Pro when pairing with eGPU in Bootcamp. As @fivefoot13 said, simply disable it in Device Manager then re-enable to make it work.

@Robot Ripper I'm not sure what exactly is going on with display output through the right TB3 ports when the PCIe x4 Controller - 1909 is disabled. I wonder if USB-C is still functional and the TB3-VGA 1920×1200 external monitor is a DisplayPort signal over USB-C connection.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
NieghtLyght
(@nieghtlyght)

@itsage So like @Robert Ripper I can only manage to get my MacBook Pro 15 2016 to detect my GTX 1060 from my left ports. I am also trying to only use an external display and keep my MacBook lid closed. When I disable the x8 ports and try using the right ports it does not respond. I tried uninstalling all the drivers and still nothing. But when I disable the x4 controller and plug my akitio node into the left ports the 1060 is detect but gives me an error 12. Is there anything else I could disable that would free enough resources for me to overcome this issue?

I'd really appreciate the help! 🙂

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

When I tried installing the iGPU I kept on getting a message saying that my machine didn't meet the minimum requirements. I tried installing older versions and updated to the latest version both gave me the same message. Is there a specific win10 version that I need to be on? 

ReplyQuote
 of  10