2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

hinza0188
(@yka8247)

Posted by: fivefoot13

When I tried installing the iGPU I kept on getting a message saying that my machine didn't meet the minimum requirements. I tried installing older versions and updated to the latest version both gave me the same message. Is there a specific win10 version that I need to be on? 

@fivefoot13

That message is saying the Windows OS did not detect Intel HD530. In order to detect iGPU, you have to run apple_set_os.efi and there are two ways.

1. use @goalque's method. https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

-------> this method always require bootable USB drive upon boot process of Windows

2. use @itsage's rEFInd (aka refind) method. 

------> this method does not require bootable USB drive; you will use REFIND boot manager to activate apple_set_os.efi and go boot the Windows

Without above method (spoofing Mac OS booting methodology for Windows), Bootcamp does not have privilege of detecting your iGPU.

If you are using either way to activate apple_set_os.efi to boot Windows and getting same errors, I strongly recommend you to restart the entire process all over again.

Good luck! 😛

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

Posted by: itsage

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

@hinza0188 Ah, I see. I was trying to go the route @itsage suggested if you intend to only use eGPU with an external display. It works, it's just that the iGPU isn't active, it just shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapters. I guess there isn't much of a work around for that yet and the only option is what is posted. Thank you for the help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

I was able to get eGPU completely working with the iGPU active. PCIe Controller x8 1905 enabled and PCIe Controller x16 - 1905 disabled. I ran into problems trying to install rEFInd, so I went with the USB solution. Thanks again everybody for all the help.

In @itsage steps, he mentioned that you have to disable x16 - 1905 before booting into MacOS, I'm not sure if I understand his explanation why. If x16 is disabled and integrated.bat is still active and when you boot back into windows with apple_set_os there shouldn't be a problem with windows trying to use the dGPU again right? What is the process for shutting down?

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)

After a night of trial and error I THINK I've found a comfortable setup, but I have a few questions.

1) I followed the guide to enable internal boosting, and everything is working more or less predictably. The only thing I don't do is re-enable 1901 x16 whenever I have to boot in macOS. I always leave everything enabled except 1095 x8 and the only drawback is that whenever I boot in macOS and then again in Windows, the iGPU is not active, so I have to run integrated.bat and on the next boot everything works. Now, I'd like to understand if I can re-enable the iGPU in Windows BEFORE booting into it, from macOS. Would this be possible.

2) Internal display boosting is great, but what if I connect an external monitor to the eGPU while boosting the internal display? Will both internal and external display be boosted? If so, will the performance suffer by boosting one more monitor? 
I don't clearly understand the logic behind Windows deciding what boosts who.

3) Before internal boosting, I also followed the smaller procedure to only boost external monitor. I was playing PUBG, and i had the USB hub of my Dell monitor attached to the Aorus. The hub had mouse, keyboard, speakers and headset connected. After a while the headset started randomly disconnecting and after a while the keyboard too, every few minutes. Could this be related to Aours TB3 USB bandwidth problems? 
Then I plugged the Dell's USB hub to the left MBP's port, played a game of CS:GO and devices never disconnected.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ludalex Good to hear you got it working. On certain eGPU, disabling the 1905 x8 PCIe (left TB3 ports) would free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disabling the 1901 x16 PCIe (Radeon dGPU) is necessary for other eGPUs especially AMD ones.

Once you connect an external monitor, the eGPU will handle it while the iGPU handles the internal display. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
NieghtLyght
(@nieghtlyght)

How'd you get those drop down arrows to show up? My device manager doesn't show a dropdown for the x8 Controller.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)

Posted by: itsage

@ludalex Good to hear you got it working. On certain eGPU, disabling the 1905 x8 PCIe (left TB3 ports) would free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disabling the 1901 x16 PCIe (Radeon dGPU) is necessary for other eGPUs especially AMD ones.

Once you connect an external monitor, the eGPU will handle it while the iGPU handles the internal display. 

I see, thank you. So if no external monitor -> internal is handled by eGPU. If external monitor connected -> internal handled by iGPU and external by eGPU, correct? Is the switch automatic?

Also about issue #2 and #3:

Is there a way to keep the iGPU enabled after booting to macOS? (without re-enabling 1901 x16)

Have you guys ever had random peripherals disconnection when plugged to the enclosure?

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@yka8247)

I was able to get eGPU completely working with the iGPU active. PCIe Controller x8 1905 enabled and PCIe Controller x16 - 1905 disabled. I ran into problems trying to install rEFInd, so I went with the USB solution. Thanks again everybody for all the help.

In @itsage steps, he mentioned that you have to disable x16 - 1905 before booting into MacOS, I'm not sure if I understand his explanation why. If x16 is disabled and integrated.bat is still active and when you boot back into windows with apple_set_os there shouldn't be a problem with windows trying to use the dGPU again right? What is the process for shutting down?

@fivefoot13

You got it backwards. When using eGPU within Windows, need to DISABLE PCIe x16 - 1901 so dGPU(RP450~460) won't bother using eGPU.

When you get to boot back to Mac, you would like to Enable PCIe x16 - 1901 because Mac will force enable this and attach dGPU to the internal display. Which means, Windows display output is no longer attached from iGPU to Internal Display. If your previous setting in Window is disabling PCIe x16 port, and your eGPU is not connected properly, it will not produce any display output and you will see black screen only.

What currently is happening under the hood:

1. Windows have disabled PCIe x16 port which is connecting dGPU

2. Mac automatically attach dGPU to the Internal Display no matter what.

-> At this point, gpu-switch integrated.bat has been completely vanished from your system

3. When you try boot back to Windows, your internal display setting is attached to dGPU (done by Mac), but your PCIe x16 port is disabled

so Windows won't find any output port to display anything and you get the black screen.

Here are my procedures of how to switch OS back and forth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures (Win + eGPU) -> *Mac*

1. Shut down and unplug eGPU when its completely powered off

2. Boot back to Windows with apple_set_os.efi but eGPU disconnected

3. ENABLE PCIe x16 -1901

4. Now you are safe to boot back to Mac.

-> This PCIe x16 - 1901 port directly controls your dGPU (RP 450~460)

-> and When Mac gets boot up, Mac will automatically enables the port with default configuration

-> and that default configuration will break some of the procedures for eGPU.

-> To prevent those automatic OS level modification, user MANUALLY enable PCIe x16 -1901 so Mac doesn't yell at you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures (Mac) -> *Win 10 + eGPU*

1. From Mac, shut down and unplug eGPU when its completely powered off.

-> If eGPU wasn't plugged in, ignore step 1 Smile

2. Boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi with rEFInd or bootable disk method.

-> Currently, Windows is using dGPU since you've came from using Mac OS X

3. Check iGPU and dGPU is detected on the Device Manager.

-> In this step, dGPU should show up as Microsoft Basic Driver with exclamation mark and error code 28 - driver not found.

4. [CRUCIAL] Run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Administrator to attach the iGPU to internal display on next boot [CRUCIAL]

5. Shut Down Windows

6. Plug in eGPU when your macbook is powered off, and Boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi

7. Disable PCIe x16 -1901 and Reboot -> BOOM! You're back to Win 10 + eGPU enabled

-> There's possibility of your internal display gets completely disconnected. That means Windows booted up using dGPU lol... Double check if you have run step 4. I personally triple check that step.

-> Do not panic; panic will simply just waste your time

-> Believe me, I've panic and ended up wipe both Mac and Windows like 3 times...

I've been using [Late 2016 MBP 15'' i7 2.9GHz_RP455 + Gigabyte Auros Gaming Box 1070] since 08/13/2017, and still trying

to figure out the safe and easy way to use eGPU and boot back and forth.

I'm still under process of 'F' up, so hang in there with me!

P.S.) I wasted 5 days anxiety to figure this out lol...

JonRoth, itsage, fivefoot13 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)

Wow @hinza0188 thank you so much for this explanation and steps! I'm pretty sure this was the steps I took when I tested it last night. Unfortunately, before I shut down for the night last night, windows 10 updated and gave my 1050 ti a Code 43. I looked around and seems like a driver issue. I plan on trying to rollback the update and hopefully fixes the issue, if not then I will just have to go through the whole process one more time. Thanks again @hinza0188 and everybody else that have been really helpful. 

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@yka8247)

Wow @hinza0188 thank you so much for this explanation and steps! I'm pretty sure this was the steps I took when I tested it last night. Unfortunately, before I shut down for the night last night, windows 10 updated and gave my 1050 ti a Code 43. I looked around and seems like a driver issue. I plan on trying to rollback the update and hopefully fixes the issue, if not then I will just have to go through the whole process one more time. Thanks again @hinza0188 and everybody else that have been really helpful. 

@fivefoot13

No problem Smile I also got help from this community and paying back how the community help me out. I hope people out there with similar configurations read this and get shorten the anxiety.

By the way, this is what I would try if I get error code 43 in device manager.

1. Unplug all USB-C from left side of MBP and disable PCIe x8 - 1905

2. Re-install Nvidia Driver and reboot

-> If error code resolved, good! enable PCIe x8 - 1905 again (make sure PCIe x16 - 1901 is disabled the entire process)

-> Otherwise, I ran out of luck 🙁

ReplyQuote
 of  10