2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

In the event one forgot to enable PCIe x16 -1901 before rebooting into macOS, won't running "gpu-switch -i" on the macOS side achieve the same effect as "integrated.bat" on the WIndows side and allow you to reboot into Windows without a black screen?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: VxD

In the event one forgot to enable PCIe x16 -1901 before rebooting into macOS, won't running "gpu-switch -i" on the macOS side achieve the same effect as "integrated.bat" on the WIndows side and allow you to reboot into Windows without a black screen?

I don't think "gpu-switch -i" works in the current version of macOS.

If PCIe x16 - 1901 is disabled in Windows, the next boot following macOS will cause a hang at the Windows logo spinning circles. The reason is due to macOS forcing the dGPU to power the internal display but Windows cannot start the dGPU because it's disabled.

After two failed boot attempts, Windows will boot into Recovery mode and you can select System Restore to go back to a point when dGPU was enabled.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

VxD liked
ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

Thanks itsage.

It is unfortunate there is no easier way to recover a failed switch between both OSes.

I wonder if Windows provides a way to disable a device just for one boot... That way, if you mess up, you can always boot normally and fall back to the dGPU. I will dig around a bit.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VOD
 VOD
(@vod)

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default AMD graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there's boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Install rEFInd boot manager [in macOS].
  • Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called "custom" [in macOS].
  • Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the "custom" folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].
  • Open System Preferences > Startup Disk and set WINDOWS as the default boot volume then restart [in macOS].
  • Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm Intel iGPU is present and active [in Windows].
  • Install latest Intel iGPU graphics drivers [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there's boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Install 2013 Visual C++ x86 version [in Windows].
  • Run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Administrator to attach the iGPU to internal display on next boot [in Windows].
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU are present and active [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x16 - 1901 to disable it. If there's no BSOD proceed to enable PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 [in Windows]

Thanks itsage,

that finally worked for my MBP 2016 15' with Touchbar / Radeon 455 + Akitio Node + 1080ti. the only thing I always have do to now is to activate PCI x16 again when I boot into macOS, right?

When going to windows again, I disable it, reboot and carry on?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@VOD Exactly. I'm very glad to hear it's working for you.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
efeoguz
(@efeoguz)

hi i tried you methods several times but i really dont understand that much about computers im using macbook pro 15 radeon 455 and a sonnet egpu box with a 1080 ti please help

ReplyQuote
David Daniel
(@david_daniel)

Its working but not like you wan’t it to.  Every time i reboot back to Mac Osx even after enabling PCIe x16 -1901 windows stops booting up. It freezes at the loading screen after a couple of seconds and a system restore point isn’t working either. It says that App staging failed. After reinstalling windows and all the apps 3 times im done with trying. There has to be a fix for the loading screen that’s not reinstalling everything. Please if anybody know a tip

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@David Daniel Can you share with us more information on your MacBook Pro and Windows 10 version?

ReplyQuote
David Daniel
(@david_daniel)

It's a MacBook Pro late 2016 with the Radeon 460. The weird thing is it's working great in windows. Its just whenever i switch back to Mac Osx i can't seem to get windows back to work. Im running Window's 10 pro clean install. Also whenever i enable PCIe 1901 the screen goes to black in windows. After rebooting window's stops working. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@David Daniel Please try these step prior to booting into macOS:

• Enable PCI Express x16 Controller - 1901 to the Radeon dGPU
  • Run gpu-switch dedicated.bat with Admin to attach dGPU to internal display
  • Reboot and check if dGPU is powering the internal display (can change display brightness)

Once you can confirm dGPU is running and powering the MBP's internal display, booting into macOS should not break Windows boot up.

ReplyQuote
 of  10