2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

David Daniel
(@david_daniel)

@itsage so the issue I was having is whenever I renabled 1901 the screen went black and I had to restart. Turns out windows never disabled it and that's why I couldn't boot back into windows. My suggestion is to boot in safe mode and disabled it there if you have the hanging windows logo issue. The new issue I have is that the screen is very dim and changing it brightness doesn't seem to work with 1901 disabled. But enabling it make's the gaming box not work properly.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ronchigram
(@ronchigram)

Posted by: itsage

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

Following this guide worked perfectly for me. I have a late '16 macbook pro 15 inches, Mantiz Venus and a EVGA GTX1080.

Prior to following this method, I was booting in Win10 with the mantiz connected to the front left tb port and the card was always recognized, but only once every N reboot it was working, otherwise showing error 43. I used the system this way for few weeks but the need of multiple reboots to get the card working, sometimes spending half hour rebooting, finally motivated me to investigating alternatives.

By far this is the only and simplest method that worked for me. Now I boot in rEFInd, launch apple_set_os.efi, launch windows and then the external display fires on 100% of the times. Thank you very much itsage.

If I might suggest, in case you'll gather all this info in a sticky guide, maybe it could be a good idea to clearly differentiate between internal display guides and external display ones. Reading user implementations, many times it was not clear to me whether the method was for internal or external display, and then it was even more complicated to understand what I had to do.

Big thanks!

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12 & Win10 [build link]  

ICULikeMac and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ronchigram I'm very glad to hear it has worked reliably for you. Thank you for the feedback on improving the setup guide. I'm currently working a Bootcamp eGPU setup guide for Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro so the easier I can make it for people to understand the better.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Keegan Shay
(@keegan_shay)

Hey man, I got through all the steps in your guide and it went well as far as I can tell, but I can't get my laptop to actually use my Gaming Box. It sees it, but it's still only using the iGPU.

I'm using a late-2016 15" MBP and the Aorus Gaming Box. when I go to device manager under display adapters I first see "Intel(R) HD Graphics 530," and under that I see "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070," but I am unable to think of a way to get my computer to use the 1070. My only thoughts right now are to straight up disable the Intel 530, but I'm worried that'll mess something up, any thoughts?

Edit: So turns out the 1070 has been working! I got it to power some programs, but now I'm wondering if there's a way to get the 1070 to do all the work on my laptop. By that I mean right now the 1070 seems to be handling the heavier programs (games, google chrome, stuff like that), and the iGPU handles smaller programs/Windows 10 as a whole. Is there a way to completely take the iGPU out of the picture here and get the 1070 to do all the work, or is that to dangerous (i.e. I need the iGPU to work as a failsafe in case the eGPU crashes/disconnects)?

Also, I'm trying to install the new firmware update to increase the eGPU's performance, but I am having some difficulty. I downloaded the firmware update from the Aorus site, and I installed the latest Thunderbolt drivers from Intel's site, but when I get to the "Select Controller/Device" step of the installation, I can select a string of text that begins with "PCI" but I am unable to select the actual eGPU to install to. Any ideas?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Keegan Shay The iGPU is a required component for eGPU to work with internal display. Unless you have an external monitor attached all the time, disabling the iGPU will BSOD Windows. You can go into Nvidia Control Panel and manually assign the eGPU to handle all software if that's your preference. As long as Nvidia Optimus switches to use the eGPU for games and high demand software I would let it be.

I will find time to look for a compatible version of Intel Thunderbolt Software that's compatible with enclosure firmware update tool.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)

Did anybody have any luck installing the H2D firmware fix with this setup? This is what I'm getting with Thunderbolt Software 16.2.55.275:

1)

first of all I can't see the actual box in the dropdown list cause there isn't one, and it should show see it according it the guide inside the firmware zip. But it lets me continue..

2)

..up until here where I get this error.

I've tried also with Thunderbolt Software 2.0.4.250 but with that one the firmware update utility wouldn't even start.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ludalex I flashed the AORUS Gaming Box's firmware several times this evening with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro to make sure I capture all possible errors people may encounter. I found a solid procedure to get it done and will write a how-to tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)

Posted by: itsage

@ludalex I flashed the AORUS Gaming Box's firmware several times this evening with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro to make sure I capture all possible errors people may encounter. I found a solid procedure to get it done and will write a how-to tomorrow.

You're the best.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Here's the firmware update procedure.  https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/guide-update-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure-firmware-in-boot-camp/

ReplyQuote
Keegan Shay
(@keegan_shay)

I have a kind of funny question for anyone that's running this box full time on Boot Camp, it's not a big deal but does anyone else get a black screen when the fullscreen a YouTube video? The video works fine in default view and theatre mode, but when I hit fullscreen it just goes black. Like the display is still lit up and I still get the popup at the top of the screen saying that hitting ESC will take me out of fullscreen, but no video shows up. This is happening on an Apple Cinema Display connecting through mini-DP to DP to the Aorus box, but it also happens on the internal display.

ReplyQuote
 of  10