2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  10
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Keegan Shay

I have a kind of funny question for anyone that's running this box full time on Boot Camp, it's not a big deal but does anyone else get a black screen when the fullscreen a YouTube video? The video works fine in default view and theatre mode, but when I hit fullscreen it just goes black. Like the display is still lit up and I still get the popup at the top of the screen saying that hitting ESC will take me out of fullscreen, but no video shows up. This is happening on an Apple Cinema Display connecting through mini-DP to DP to the Aorus box, but it also happens on the internal display.

Is your iGPU powering the internal display or no?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)

With this exact setup (external monitor) I have a really weird issue: I have a Dell display with built-in USB hub with plenty of stuff attached to it. The display is then connected to one of the Aours' USB, along with an Ethernet adapter.

When I play CS:GO with this setup, everything is super fine.

When I play PUBG, which looks definitely more resource intensive, the pheriperals attached to the Aorus start going crazy connecting/disconnecting. Could this be related to the fact that the TB3 cable isn't able to sustain the amount of data when playing a more resource intensive game? Seems weird to me.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Guavazo
(@guavazo)

@itsage Thanks for he set up guide and work great for me except the last step, I can only get it to work on the right side type C port is that what you also experiencing? or should I start fresh again to get both side port working? I have the 2016 15 inch macbook with the 455. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Guavazo

@itsage Thanks for he set up guide and work great for me except the last step, I can only get it to work on the right side type C port is that what you also experiencing? or should I start fresh again to get both side port working? I have the 2016 15 inch macbook with the 455. 

Which graphics card are you using? If you have an Nvidia card, you can go back into Device Manager to re-enable the x8 PCIe Controller - 1905 (this one is responsible for the left side USB-C/TB3 ports). Make sure the internal display is attached to the iGPU and x16 PCIe Controller - 1901 is disabled first. Otherwise the eGPU will be yellow-banged (error 12) at next boot.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Keegan Shay
(@keegan_shay)

I seem to be locked out of my Windows 10 partition. Through rEFInd I am able to get to the Windows boot screen with the logo, but the loading circle spins once then hangs and I am not sure how to fix it. I tried with and without the eGPU plugged in, I tried restoring to a System Restore point I made 2 days ago (the system restored but the boot still hangs), and nothing seemed to work. Currently I am going through the process of re-installing the Windows partition (I'm hoping re-installing fixes the issue I had where my laptop was unable to see/use ethernet cables on the Windows side, no ethernet driver appears in device manager), but in the future does anyone know how I can fix this? 

edit: After re-reading your guide, it seems the only issue I could be having is that I forgot to re-enable PCI x16 before I booted to the mac side. It's not something I remember forgetting, but the hanging boot up that comes from forgetting it is definitely the issue I'm experiencing.

edit 2: Crisis somewhat averted! I highly recommend buying Winclone 6 Basic if you haven't already, it's a macos program that allows you to back up and restore boot camp partitions, which I just did! Luckily I had a partition from about a week ago saved, so now I just have to get to reinstalling some things!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Keegan Shay
(@keegan_shay)

Has anyone upgraded to High Sierra yet? If so, any issues with this boot process? I want to upgrade my mac side, but I'm worried that High Sierra will mess up rEFInd somehow (I've heard there are pretty substantial file and security changes).

ReplyQuote
Sereosh
(@sereosh)

Hey guys, after several hours I managed to make the AORUS Gaming Box work on my 2016 15" MBP. It wasn't easy at all, but I did it. Now, is there a way to make switching between Boot Camp and macOS easier? When I want to go back to macOS I run dedicated.bat, otherwise only the dGPU will be used. However my battery life seems worse when I do that, even though it clearly says the iGPU is in use. The issue was temporarly solved by doing a SMC reset, but if I don't have to do that every time I want to switch, it'd be much better.

Here's my routine right now:

1. Restart/Shut down from macOS
  2. Boot normally into Windows, run integrated.bat then shut down
  3. Plug eGPU on top right thunderbolt port, boot into Windows using the apple_set_os.efi. eGPU is working fine there. Device manager shows 3 Displays adapters: Intel HD Graphics 530, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (yellow banged) and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I have only disabled Intel Xeon E3 PCIe Controller (x8) - 1905.
  4. Whenever I want to go back to macOS, I run dedicated.bat and reboot. iGPU shows up fine but battery life isn't so great.

Am I doing everything right? I'd love if there was some kind of macro that would make the process easier.

2016 MBP 15"
Radeon Pro 460 dGPU
AORUS Gaming Box 1070 eGPU
macOS 13.16.6

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
xhount15
(@xhount15)

Hi m8,

I made my own guide how I fixed it.

Please have a look :).

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/asus-gaming-box-nividia-manual-for-macbook-pro-2017-13-inch-with-touchbar/

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Hi itsage and all,

Firstly thank you for all your help on these forums!

I am in a very similar situation to Robot Ripper. I want to try and my AGB working on external display first. I have 2017 MBP R560. 

I have disabled PCIe x8 and plugged the box into the top right port but also getting Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and Microsoft Basic Display adapter (I have already used DDU). It seems if I try installed nvidea drivers it crashes. 

Trying to get the right ports working as you believe that's the best option? I too get 1070 appearing if I use left ports (obviously x8 enabled when I try that but then get error 12)

Notes: I haven't updated the AGB, it that worth doing, the H2D update? Windows version 1703, OS build 15063.726?

Any help appreciated thanks!!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
Acclaim
(@acclaim)

Hello everyone, including @itsage 

Hoping to get a hand with an issue I've encountered while following this implementation guide. First, my setup:

2017 15" MacBook Pro RP555 + GTX1070 Aorus Gaming Box + Windows 10/macOS High Sierra

Upon installing the latest Intel drivers (and previous versions.. in failed attempts at fixing the issue) I experience constant flickering at idle. When I move my mouse or a task places the system under load, the flickering stops. This occurs on the internal display. 

I have followed @itsage 's implementation guide but once I run integrated.bat as an administrator and disable the PCIe x 8 ports I experience this issue upon reaching windows. Furthermore, with the iGPU running, the system does not recognize the Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070 does not display in device manager, nor does the box light up). If I restore my system to the point before I have installed the Intel drivers, the flickering does not occur but once again the GTX 1070 is not recognized. If I run dedicated.bat or boot without running the batch script, all three devices are displayed under device manager and I am able to adjust my brightness (confirming that I am running off the dGPU). 

I have tried foregoing the Intel drivers which prevents flickering but in this configuration the GTX 1070 is not recognized and I am unable to link the iGPU+eGPU to the internal display.

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
 of  10