Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Stati...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [omardesu]  

RSS

omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

System specs

• 2016 Macbook Pro 15"
  • Core i7-6700HQ, Quad Core @ 2.6GHz
  • Radeon Pro 450 dGPU / HD Graphics 530 iGPU
  • 16GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • 256GB SSD

eGPU hardware

Installation steps -MacOS 10.14.4

• Easy, hot-plug with MacOS up. Log out and log back in if needed.

Installation steps - Windows 10 (bootcamp) build 1809

This installation was on top of my current setup for eGPU with 1070 Ti.  I was looking to do as little work as possible to get it running, and it turns out that my previous setup had already accomplished everything.

So the list below is what from my previous build.  After these steps, you can either run from dGPU or eGPU+nVidia but not both.

1) Install Win10 build 1809 on Bootcamp
2) Install supporting Apple Bootcamp drivers and reboot
3) Download and run DDU to uninstall AMD drivers and reboot
4) Disable 1905 in Device Manager
5) Plug in eGPU to right TB3 ports next to microphone jack.  If it doesn't add the new device, just reboot with the eGPU plugged in.
6) Install latest nVidia Driver and reboot (I used 419.17)
7) Plug in external display to eGPU-you should be getting output with BOTH the internal and external attached to the eGPU.
8) Download AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (I used 19.2.2)
9) Install AMD drivers with Custom Install options.  ONLY INSTALL THE DRIVERS as below and no other AMD SW!

**The internal display will go black as the Display driver gets installed.  Don't worry, the external monitor is still running off the eGPU**
Now Device Manager will have both AMD and nVidia cards without any errors!

10) At this point the setup is done, and the system can be shut down.

You have 2 options:
a) If you want to use eGPU, just connect the TB cable to the port next to the mic jack and boot up.
     You will see the Windows booting up on the internal display and then go black when the eGPU kicks in.  Your external will be the only display.
b) If you want to use dGPU, don't connect the eGPU.  Simple as that!

So when it came to the Vega 56, I hot-plugged into Windows and saw that Device Manager recognized it was a Vega 56 right away, but it was banged with Error 12.  I actually had re-enabled 1905 some weeks before since I was using the dGPU exclusively for the last few weeks.  So I tried disabling 1905 and rebooted.  The Windows boot logo came up which was followed by a black screen.  I thought something was wrong, but it was actually the eGPU getting used and dGPU getting bypassed as in "option a)" as above.  Perfect!!

This topic was modified 5 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote