Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" Macbook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 [email protected] (ASUS XG Statio...

2016 15" Macbook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [omardesu]  

RSS

omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

System specs

• 2016 Macbook Pro 15"
  • Core i7-6700HQ, Quad Core @ 2.6GHz
  • Radeon Pro 450 dGPU / HD Graphics 530 iGPU
  • 16GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • 256GB SSD

eGPU hardware

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti aura rgb

I can finally change the RGB!!!! :mrgreen: 

Installation steps - Windows 10 (bootcamp) build 1809

Spent a few hours last week trying to figure out an easy way to get it working.  Finally got it working today, but this setup won't be for long term usage as I only need the dGPU to satisfy my needs for playing Fortnite while mobile. 😉 

1) Install Win10 build 1809 on Bootcamp
2) Install supporting Apple Bootcamp drivers and reboot
3) Download and run DDU to uninstall AMD drivers and reboot
4) Disable 1905 in Device Manager
5) Plug in eGPU to right TB3 ports next to microphone jack.  If it doesn't add the new device, just reboot with the eGPU plugged in.
6) Install latest nVidia Driver and reboot (I used 419.17)
7) At this point, I'm running of the iGPU and internal display w/out any additional drivers installed from Intel (just showing up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), and the 1070 Ti shows up without an Error 12 since there were enough resources available.
8) Plug in external display to eGPU-you should be getting output with BOTH the internal and external attached to the eGPU.  For me, I could switch to external display once the 1070 Ti is up and running.  Even after rebooting with the eGPU plugged in, the external display will come up just around the login window.
9) With the external display connected, you should now have 2 displays - internal and external which are duplicated by default.  In the Display preferences, set it so that you're running on the external display only.  I initially tried running Heaven and got some bad numbers due to the system pushing both displays.  Once I switched off the internal display, the performance was much better.
Download AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (I used 19.2.2).  Thanks @itsage!!
10) Install AMD drivers with Custom Install options.  ONLY INSTALL THE DRIVERS as below and no other AMD SW!

radeon install options

**The internal display will go black as the Display driver gets installed.  Don't worry, the external monitor is still running off the eGPU**
Now Device Manager will have both AMD and nVidia cards without any errors!

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti radeon450 installed

11) At this point the setup is done, and the system can be shut down.

You have 2 options:
a) If you want to use eGPU, just connect the TB cable to the port next to the mic jack and boot up.
     You will see the Windows booting up on the internal display and then go black when the eGPU kicks in.  Your external will be the only display.
b) If you want to use dGPU, don't connect the eGPU.  Simple as that!

Notes:

- Used the right TB3 port next to the microphone jack only.  The other right port only works when the AMD drivers are not installed (at least for me).

- Don't hot plug the eGPU unless you want to see the BSOD.  Just plug in the eGPU when the MBP is shut down when eGPU use is desired.

- Hot plugging any USB devices into the remaining USB-C port would cause the system to crash.  But if you leave it plugged in, I guess the system allocates enough resources for those devices.  So I had plugged in a USB-C hub for power, keyboard, mouse and even flash drive.

- As I've mentioned on others' posts, I was never able to get the XG Station Pro Aura RGB control software working since I was on a TB2 Mac mini previously.  But now that I've got the setup working with my TB3 MBP,  I can finally control the RGB.  That's a nice little added bonus for me (until I do a fresh Win10 install again).

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti aura

Benchmarks

Here was the resulting CUDA-Z screenshot which I believe I took when both Internal and External Display was going (not sure if it will make a difference):

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti cuda z

Heaven and Valley when I was initially using both the Internal and External Displays (OpenGL)

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti heaven opengl dualgpu
2016mbp15 win10 1070ti valley opengl dualgpu fail

I got this failure for Valley at the start, but after switching to External Display Only and then going back to both Internal & External, Valley was able to run properly without that same error.

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti valley opengl dualgpu

Heaven and Valley with External Display enabled only (OpenGL)

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti heaven opengl
2016mbp15 win10 1070ti valley opengl

Heaven and Valley with External Display enabled only (DirectX11)

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti heaven dx11
2016mbp15 win10 1070ti valley dx11

AIDA64 GPGPU

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti gpgpu

Comments

• Just glad that I was able to get this going without the hassle of having to deal with rEFInd and other stuff that others had to go through to get their 2016 MBP 15"'s to work.
  • As I mentioned, this is a temporary setup as the dGPU will satisfy my gaming needs when mobile.  I primarily wanted to see if there was much performance difference between the TB2 2014 Mac mini and my TB3 2016 MBP.  To me, there is a performance gain with the 2016 MBP setup with what I perceive as more stable framerates, but I'm not sure if that's due to the stronger CPU or the TB3 connection (probably both?).
  • This is no longer a temporary setup for me since I have my dGPU working normally and this is pretty much plug-and-play to get the eGPU up.
  • Thanks again @itsage for pointing me in the right direction with the AMD drivers!

HELP NEEDED:

I do have another 1-2 weeks at home to play around with this setup on the 2016 MBP before I start traveling for work again, in which case I'll only need the dGPU.  Is integrated.bat the best solution at this moment in time to switch between iGPU and dGPU?  Should I proceed to install the Intel and AMD drivers and just disable the root ports or whichever GPU I won't be using in Device Manager?  Thoughts?

edited the build guide after confirming all the steps off a fresh Win10 install

This topic was modified 5 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in this instance is actually the Radeon dGPU. Unless you use a boot loader to keep the Intel iGPU activated, it's not going to show up in Boot Camp. Nvidia eGPU is easier to get around error 12 than AMD counterpart so if you have this setup working, I'd say leave it as-is. To get the Radeon dGPU working while you're on the road, you can install the latest drivers from either AMD website or bootcampdrivers.com.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

So I'm looking at my hardware setup again, and I believe I'm mistaken and I'm not on iGPU.  According to GPU-Z, I'm still on AMD so that would mean I'm on dGPU via Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  Trying to figure out exactly what is going on here even though the eGPU is working pretty good right now...

Posted by: itsage

The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in this instance is actually the Radeon dGPU. Unless you use a boot loader to keep the Intel iGPU activated, it's not going to show up in Boot Camp. Nvidia eGPU is easier to get around error 12 than AMD counterpart so if you have this setup working, I'd say leave it as-is. To get the Radeon dGPU working while you're on the road, you can install the latest drivers from either AMD website or bootcampdrivers.com.

Beat me to it @itsage...  So knowledgeable!!!  I'll try to get the AMD drivers back and see what happens...

This post was modified 5 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

Quick update on reinstalling the AMD drivers:

Attempt #1:

• Using the install package from bootcampdrivers.com, I was able to get the RP450 to show up as the installer was running which I believe was also installing the extra AMD control software.
  • After rebooting, I was prompted to reboot again because some device was finish setting up.

post radeon install reboot

• Hot plug the eGPU and BSOD 🙁 
  • Kept trying a few times, but always ended up with BSOD
  • Accept Failure.

Resetting:

• DDU to uninstall AMD and nVidia drivers to get back to scratch.
  • The dGPU was coming up as Video Controller (VGA Compatible), but then a quick update driver turned it into a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  • Install nVidia drivers as OP and able to get eGPU working again

Attempt #2:

• Install package from bootcampdrivers.com
    • But after starting the "Express Install", I thought about doing the "Custom Install", so I hit stop...
    • The RP450 driver got installed and showed up in DM, but the rest of the installation was aborted (I haven't seen any AMD software on my system yet).

2016mbp15 win10 1070ti radeon450 installed

• After rebooting, got prompted to reboot again as above
  • Hot plug eGPU and got BSOD again
  • Left eGPU connected through the reboot, and I expected the system to just hang, but my External display popped up through the eGPU!!
    • eGPU working with AMD drivers installed.
    • External display only
    • Internal display is black, but this was expected as bootcampdrivers.com listed it on their compatability page.

bootcampdriverscompatability

Not so sure about stability right now, so I'm off to do some reboots and a few more passes with DDU, and eventually a clean Win10 installation.  Will keep everybody posted...

Update 1:

...continuing on Attempt #2:
After playing hot plug-BSOD roulette for the past few hours, I've found out that with the Radeon drivers only the right TB3 port next to the microphone jack is stable.  Any hot plug will end with BSOD, but if I hot plug into that TB3 port, the eGPU will come up after the BSOD reboot.  External display will be up at the login screen while the Internal display will black as described earlier.  Any reboot or shutdown/startup will have the same positive result as long as it's plugged into that TB3 port next to the mic jack.

Once I was convinced that TB3 port was stable, I ran DDU to remove the AMD drivers again and got back to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter + 1070 Ti state.  Hot plug usually resulted in BSOD, but I could get the eGPU to work with both of the right side TB3 ports after the reboot.

Attempt #3:

• Installed package from bootcampdrivers.com choosing Custom installation (everything except AMD Re-Live SW)
  • Reboot and reboot
  • Hot plug eGPU resulted with BSOD, but eGPU did not pick up during reboot and Internal display just remains blacked out.
  • Kept trying but no success.  Accept failure
  • Reset back to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Attempt #4:

radeon install options
  • Reboot with eGPU still attached
  • eGPU External display comes up immediately at the login screen!!!  SUCCESS!

For dGPU, just boot without eGPU connected to MBP
For eGPU, just boot with eGPU connected to MBP
(connected to the TB3 port next to the mic jack of course)

Simple as that.  Last thing for me to do is the clean install of Win10 1809 and try to repeat without any BSOD!

This post was modified 5 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote