Late-2016 15” MacBook Pro RP460 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13Beta&Win10 [rawweb]^  

RSS

rawweb
(@rawweb)
Trusted Member
June 25, 2017 10:54 pm  

Just want to pass along my configuration and a BIG thank you for the many resources of the forum here. The Mantiz Venus (thanks again for the incredible group buy) arrived days ago and so far has been a dream…the ultimate MacBook docking station. For the most part I followed the guides, but Windows 10 was a real pain. I read it’s easier with an Nvidia card…

• Mantiz Venus
  • ASUS Strix Gaming OC Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • 15” Late 2016 MacBook Pro - 16gb ram - Radeon Pro 460 (Touch Bar)
  • 27” Apple Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort to Display Port adapter)
  • macOS 10.13 (beta 2 at time of writing) and Windows 10 64bit

MacOS High Sierra (Dev Beta 2):

I have to say. This was literally plug and play. My ASUS RX 580 GPU fired right up. No issues out of the gate at all. Downloaded ethernet driver to get ethernet working. Otherwise, everything was completely functional.

Radeon Pro 460:

RX 580:

Mantiz Venus Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure

Love this little guy. Out of the box, fan was a bit too loud for my taste. Mantiz advised switching fan to a different pin. No complaints after this. https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/mantis-venus/paged/20/#post-13965

The cable provided is very nice, as it runs the entire enclosure and charges your MacBook up to 87 watts. Only problem for me was the length (.5m). I ended up picking up a 2m cable so I can arrange my desk a bit better, but sacrificed the 87w charging for 60w. New cable still rated at 40GB/s. No noticeable performance drop. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/CBLT3A2.0BP/  

Windows 10 

Oh boy...

This was a very, very tricky setup. To start, I already was running Windows on an external USB-C SSD drive (it is now inside the Venus). I had a backup clone of my drive ready to go with Winclone in case I ever need to revert. I ended up reverting 2 or 3 times trying to engineer the best solution. The guides here on eGPU.io have been a life saver. I ended up heavily relying on https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/ . I will say, I was at the point of giving up when all of a sudden my Cinema Display came to life. Proof to the theory that sometimes yah gotta be taken to the edge ;).  First step was completely uninstalling and removing the drivers for the RP 460 and installing drivers for the Intel HD 530: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-macbook-pro-rp460-gtx1080ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-node-macos-windows-10/

The only way I can get the RX 580 to not have “Code 12” was to follow step 0, 1, and 6 on the main error 12 guide. I installed rEFIt to avoid using a USB boot stick as covered here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/#post-1458

I have to “hotplug” to get this working in Windows every time :(. That means starting the Mac with the Venus disconnected, then at the rEFIt screen, plug in the Venus. Boot using apple_set_os.efi and then no issues…If I forget this step…it doesn't work.

The final step needed to get Code 12 to disappear with my RX 580 meant having to follow the DSDT override. I wanted to avoid Clover so I’m doing it via the testing mode method outlined in the guide. Continual tests indicate this won’t work without this step. Disabling test mode and rebooting (following steps above) produces Code 12 on the RX 580. I’ve tried variations of disabling the RP460’s PCIe bridge, but it just never worked. Ultimately, the entire setup is working without disabling the dGPU PCIe bridge. For grins, I have the RP460 ‘disabled’ to avoid conflicts.

All other components of the Venus (SATA, Ethernet, USB) worked just fine in Windows…it took time and patience to get the GPU burning with gasoline.

Heaven: (Extreme settings, only reports 4GB)

I’m hoping to come up with a better solution down the road, but for now this works and I’m overall getting accustom to the steps required to boot in to Windows.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

enjoy, rushvora and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
vertice
(@vertice)
June 25, 2017 11:10 pm  

Thanks for the write up! Have you had any luck playing games with the 580 in MacOS High Sierra Beta 2?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rawweb
(@rawweb)
Trusted Member
June 26, 2017 2:14 am  

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it but Origin's Sim City: Complete Edition is working just fine on ultra settings. Looking pretty good to me. Most of the gaming I do is over on Windows. Always looking for something good on the Mac side though, particular game you enjoy?

ReplyQuote
cvfunstuff
(@cvfunstuff)
August 5, 2017 8:50 pm  

Hey, awesome setup. I have a Mantiz Venus incoming and I'm still deciding on the graphics card - I may go the NVIDIA route for true performance on Windows, and better than most performance on Mac. Just curious how you installed Windows on the separate hard drive inside Mantiz Venus, did you use some guide or is there an easy way I can figure out how to do it?

Also, try out Cities: Skylines on Mac, and throw on a triple-A title on Windows if you get the chance. I want to know how well something like Battlefield 1 runs, as I've never experienced decent gaming (being a Mac guy 😊). If I can't justify a GTX 1080 for it, I'll save the money.

ReplyQuote
JLSMedia
(@jlsmedia)
August 10, 2017 6:58 pm  

Curious how it handles fan noise and heat? I have the same laptop and was considering an eGPU for gaming so I can get rid of my Windows rig completely. Tried playing a bit in Windows bootcamp and it got extremely hot and loud which I hate, was wondering if the eGPU helps cut down on a lot of that with only the CPU being pushed hard at best? 

That Windows setup sounds daunting tho, I thought it was supposed to be a little more plug and play than that lol. High Sierra I probably wouldn't use it for now anyways since I'd probably just use the eGPU to boost FCPX speeds, but I don't think that'll be native for a while yet. 

ReplyQuote
notmarcliu
(@notmarcliu)
August 11, 2017 5:05 am  

Everything for me went ok until i finished installing the driver for Intel HD 530. What do you do after that? How do you install the driver for the rx580? Right now windows runs on integrated graphics but it does not recognize my rx580 (there's intel hd 530, and 2 microsoft basic video adapters), neither does the amd driver. Also, I don't know if yours is the same, my windows does not boot (hangs at the windows logo with no spinning dots) if i don't boot using the apple_set_os.efi first.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
mainstreamcode
(@mainstreamcode)
January 18, 2018 2:37 pm  

Sorry for hopping on late. I am looking at a similar setup just with a 970 card. Overall would you say its worth it? I want to try to streamline to one computer to work and game on and really debating whether or not it is worth it. 

ReplyQuote
etherealpoetry
(@etherealpoetry)
January 20, 2018 8:45 pm  

Error 12 issues give me headaches.  😛 

On my 2016 Pro, same as yours, I did everything I could do get a Razer Core working, with a 480. Finally gave up. 

Now, almost a year later, I'm using a 2017 Pro, with the 560, and it was incredibly simple. I just plugged in the Sonnet 550, went to Device Manager, and installed the driver. Took around an hour, restarted, and then I was done. Worked flawlessly.

ReplyQuote
BMW2017
(@bmw2017)
Eminent Member
March 25, 2018 12:01 pm  

It is now March... is it any easier to get this running in Windows 10 Home?

ReplyQuote