late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [theitsage]  

Page 2 / 3 Prev Next

ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 18, 2017 4:01 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@ludalex Good to hear you got it working. On certain eGPU, disabling the 1905 x8 PCIe (left TB3 ports) would free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disabling the 1901 x16 PCIe (Radeon dGPU) is necessary for other eGPUs especially AMD ones.

Once you connect an external monitor, the eGPU will handle it while the iGPU handles the internal display. 

I see, thank you. So if no external monitor -> internal is handled by eGPU. If external monitor connected -> internal handled by iGPU and external by eGPU, correct? Is the switch automatic?

Also about issue #2 and #3:

Is there a way to keep the iGPU enabled after booting to macOS? (without re-enabling 1901 x16)

Have you guys ever had random peripherals disconnection when plugged to the enclosure?

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 18, 2017 6:13 pm  
Posted by: fivefoot13

I was able to get eGPU completely working with the iGPU active. PCIe Controller x8 1905 enabled and PCIe Controller x16 - 1905 disabled. I ran into problems trying to install rEFInd, so I went with the USB solution. Thanks again everybody for all the help.

In @theitsage steps, he mentioned that you have to disable x16 - 1905 before booting into MacOS, I'm not sure if I understand his explanation why. If x16 is disabled and integrated.bat is still active and when you boot back into windows with apple_set_os there shouldn't be a problem with windows trying to use the dGPU again right? What is the process for shutting down?

@fivefoot13

You got it backwards. When using eGPU within Windows, need to DISABLE PCIe x16 - 1901 so dGPU(RP450~460) won't bother using eGPU.

When you get to boot back to Mac, you would like to Enable PCIe x16 - 1901 because Mac will force enable this and attach dGPU to the internal display. Which means, Windows display output is no longer attached from iGPU to Internal Display. If your previous setting in Window is disabling PCIe x16 port, and your eGPU is not connected properly, it will not produce any display output and you will see black screen only.

What currently is happening under the hood:

1. Windows have disabled PCIe x16 port which is connecting dGPU

2. Mac automatically attach dGPU to the Internal Display no matter what.

-> At this point, gpu-switch integrated.bat has been completely vanished from your system

3. When you try boot back to Windows, your internal display setting is attached to dGPU (done by Mac), but your PCIe x16 port is disabled

so Windows won't find any output port to display anything and you get the black screen.

Here are my procedures of how to switch OS back and forth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures (Win + eGPU) -> *Mac*

1. Shut down and unplug eGPU when its completely powered off

2. Boot back to Windows with apple_set_os.efi but eGPU disconnected

3. ENABLE PCIe x16 -1901

4. Now you are safe to boot back to Mac.

-> This PCIe x16 - 1901 port directly controls your dGPU (RP 450~460)

-> and When Mac gets boot up, Mac will automatically enables the port with default configuration

-> and that default configuration will break some of the procedures for eGPU.

-> To prevent those automatic OS level modification, user MANUALLY enable PCIe x16 -1901 so Mac doesn't yell at you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures (Mac) -> *Win 10 + eGPU*

1. From Mac, shut down and unplug eGPU when its completely powered off.

-> If eGPU wasn't plugged in, ignore step 1 🙂

2. Boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi with rEFInd or bootable disk method.

-> Currently, Windows is using dGPU since you've came from using Mac OS X

3. Check iGPU and dGPU is detected on the Device Manager.

-> In this step, dGPU should show up as Microsoft Basic Driver with exclamation mark and error code 28 - driver not found.

4. [CRUCIAL] Run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Administrator to attach the iGPU to internal display on next boot [CRUCIAL]

5. Shut Down Windows

6. Plug in eGPU when your macbook is powered off, and Boot into Windows with apple_set_os.efi

7. Disable PCIe x16 -1901 and Reboot -> BOOM! You're back to Win 10 + eGPU enabled

-> There's possibility of your internal display gets completely disconnected. That means Windows booted up using dGPU lol... Double check if you have run step 4. I personally triple check that step.

-> Do not panic; panic will simply just waste your time

-> Believe me, I've panic and ended up wipe both Mac and Windows like 3 times...

I've been using [Late 2016 MBP 15'' i7 2.9GHz_RP455 + Gigabyte Auros Gaming Box 1070] since 08/13/2017, and still trying

to figure out the safe and easy way to use eGPU and boot back and forth.

I'm still under process of 'F' up, so hang in there with me!

P.S.) I wasted 5 days anxiety to figure this out lol...

JonRoth, theitsage, fivefoot13 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 18, 2017 7:18 pm  

Wow @hinza0188 thank you so much for this explanation and steps! I'm pretty sure this was the steps I took when I tested it last night. Unfortunately, before I shut down for the night last night, windows 10 updated and gave my 1050 ti a Code 43. I looked around and seems like a driver issue. I plan on trying to rollback the update and hopefully fixes the issue, if not then I will just have to go through the whole process one more time. Thanks again @hinza0188 and everybody else that have been really helpful. 

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 18, 2017 7:30 pm  
Posted by: fivefoot13

Wow @hinza0188 thank you so much for this explanation and steps! I'm pretty sure this was the steps I took when I tested it last night. Unfortunately, before I shut down for the night last night, windows 10 updated and gave my 1050 ti a Code 43. I looked around and seems like a driver issue. I plan on trying to rollback the update and hopefully fixes the issue, if not then I will just have to go through the whole process one more time. Thanks again @hinza0188 and everybody else that have been really helpful. 

@fivefoot13

No problem 🙂 I also got help from this community and paying back how the community help me out. I hope people out there with similar configurations read this and get shorten the anxiety.

By the way, this is what I would try if I get error code 43 in device manager.

1. Unplug all USB-C from left side of MBP and disable PCIe x8 - 1905

2. Re-install Nvidia Driver and reboot

-> If error code resolved, good! enable PCIe x8 - 1905 again (make sure PCIe x16 - 1901 is disabled the entire process)

-> Otherwise, I ran out of luck 🙁

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)
August 18, 2017 11:33 pm  

In the event one forgot to enable PCIe x16 -1901 before rebooting into macOS, won't running "gpu-switch -i" on the macOS side achieve the same effect as "integrated.bat" on the WIndows side and allow you to reboot into Windows without a black screen?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 18, 2017 11:57 pm  
Posted by: VxD

In the event one forgot to enable PCIe x16 -1901 before rebooting into macOS, won't running "gpu-switch -i" on the macOS side achieve the same effect as "integrated.bat" on the WIndows side and allow you to reboot into Windows without a black screen?

I don't think "gpu-switch -i" works in the current version of macOS.

If PCIe x16 - 1901 is disabled in Windows, the next boot following macOS will cause a hang at the Windows logo spinning circles. The reason is due to macOS forcing the dGPU to power the internal display but Windows cannot start the dGPU because it's disabled.

After two failed boot attempts, Windows will boot into Recovery mode and you can select System Restore to go back to a point when dGPU was enabled.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

60 external GPU build guides

VxD liked
ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)
August 19, 2017 2:32 am  

Thanks theitsage.

It is unfortunate there is no easier way to recover a failed switch between both OSes.

I wonder if Windows provides a way to disable a device just for one boot... That way, if you mess up, you can always boot normally and fall back to the dGPU. I will dig around a bit.

ReplyQuote
VOD
 VOD
(@vod)
August 24, 2017 3:43 pm  
  • Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default AMD graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there's boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Install rEFInd boot manager [in macOS].
  • Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called "custom" [in macOS].
  • Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the "custom" folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].
  • Open System Preferences > Startup Disk and set WINDOWS as the default boot volume then restart [in macOS].
  • Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm Intel iGPU is present and active [in Windows].
  • Install latest Intel iGPU graphics drivers [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there's boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Install 2013 Visual C++ x86 version [in Windows].
  • Run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Administrator to attach the iGPU to internal display on next boot [in Windows].
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU are present and active [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x16 - 1901 to disable it. If there's no BSOD proceed to enable PCIe Controller x8 - 1905 [in Windows]

Thanks theitsage,

that finally worked for my MBP 2016 15' with Touchbar / Radeon 455 + Akitio Node + 1080ti. the only thing I always have do to now is to activate PCI x16 again when I boot into macOS, right?

When going to windows again, I disable it, reboot and carry on?

2016 MPB 15" RP455 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10(1709) ^^ [VOD] // no scripts for Windows, pnp

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 24, 2017 3:50 pm  

@VOD Exactly. I'm very glad to hear it's working for you.

ReplyQuote
efeoguz
(@efeoguz)
August 24, 2017 6:13 pm  

hi i tried you methods several times but i really dont understand that much about computers im using macbook pro 15 radeon 455 and a sonnet egpu box with a 1080 ti please help

ReplyQuote
(@david_daniel)
August 25, 2017 6:02 pm  

Its working but not like you wan’t it to.  Every time i reboot back to Mac Osx even after enabling PCIe x16 -1901 windows stops booting up. It freezes at the loading screen after a couple of seconds and a system restore point isn’t working either. It says that App staging failed. After reinstalling windows and all the apps 3 times im done with trying. There has to be a fix for the loading screen that’s not reinstalling everything. Please if anybody know a tip

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 25, 2017 6:35 pm  

@David Daniel Can you share with us more information on your MacBook Pro and Windows 10 version?

ReplyQuote
(@david_daniel)
August 26, 2017 1:05 am  

It's a MacBook Pro late 2016 with the Radeon 460. The weird thing is it's working great in windows. Its just whenever i switch back to Mac Osx i can't seem to get windows back to work. Im running Window's 10 pro clean install. Also whenever i enable PCIe 1901 the screen goes to black in windows. After rebooting window's stops working. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 26, 2017 2:09 pm  

@David Daniel Please try these step prior to booting into macOS:

• Enable PCI Express x16 Controller - 1901 to the Radeon dGPU
  • Run gpu-switch dedicated.bat with Admin to attach dGPU to internal display
  • Reboot and check if dGPU is powering the internal display (can change display brightness)

Once you can confirm dGPU is running and powering the MBP's internal display, booting into macOS should not break Windows boot up.

ReplyQuote
(@david_daniel)
August 26, 2017 4:08 pm  

@theitsage so the issue I was having is whenever I renabled 1901 the screen went black and I had to restart. Turns out windows never disabled it and that's why I couldn't boot back into windows. My suggestion is to boot in safe mode and disabled it there if you have the hanging windows logo issue. The new issue I have is that the screen is very dim and changing it brightness doesn't seem to work with 1901 disabled. But enabling it make's the gaming box not work properly.

ReplyQuote
ronchigram
(@ronchigram)
August 28, 2017 1:08 pm  

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

Following this guide worked perfectly for me. I have a late '16 macbook pro 15 inches, Mantiz Venus and a EVGA GTX1080.

Prior to following this method, I was booting in Win10 with the mantiz connected to the front left tb port and the card was always recognized, but only once every N reboot it was working, otherwise showing error 43. I used the system this way for few weeks but the need of multiple reboots to get the card working, sometimes spending half hour rebooting, finally motivated me to investigating alternatives.

By far this is the only and simplest method that worked for me. Now I boot in rEFInd, launch apple_set_os.efi, launch windows and then the external display fires on 100% of the times. Thank you very much theitsage.

If I might suggest, in case you'll gather all this info in a sticky guide, maybe it could be a good idea to clearly differentiate between internal display guides and external display ones. Reading user implementations, many times it was not clear to me whether the method was for internal or external display, and then it was even more complicated to understand what I had to do.

Big thanks!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 28, 2017 1:20 pm  

@ronchigram I'm very glad to hear it has worked reliably for you. Thank you for the feedback on improving the setup guide. I'm currently working a Bootcamp eGPU setup guide for Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro so the easier I can make it for people to understand the better.

ReplyQuote
(@keegan_shay)
August 29, 2017 12:54 am  

Hey man, I got through all the steps in your guide and it went well as far as I can tell, but I can't get my laptop to actually use my Gaming Box. It sees it, but it's still only using the iGPU.

I'm using a late-2016 15" MBP and the Aorus Gaming Box. when I go to device manager under display adapters I first see "Intel(R) HD Graphics 530," and under that I see "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070," but I am unable to think of a way to get my computer to use the 1070. My only thoughts right now are to straight up disable the Intel 530, but I'm worried that'll mess something up, any thoughts?

Edit: So turns out the 1070 has been working! I got it to power some programs, but now I'm wondering if there's a way to get the 1070 to do all the work on my laptop. By that I mean right now the 1070 seems to be handling the heavier programs (games, google chrome, stuff like that), and the iGPU handles smaller programs/Windows 10 as a whole. Is there a way to completely take the iGPU out of the picture here and get the 1070 to do all the work, or is that to dangerous (i.e. I need the iGPU to work as a failsafe in case the eGPU crashes/disconnects)?

Also, I'm trying to install the new firmware update to increase the eGPU's performance, but I am having some difficulty. I downloaded the firmware update from the Aorus site, and I installed the latest Thunderbolt drivers from Intel's site, but when I get to the "Select Controller/Device" step of the installation, I can select a string of text that begins with "PCI" but I am unable to select the actual eGPU to install to. Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 29, 2017 1:39 pm  

@Keegan Shay The iGPU is a required component for eGPU to work with internal display. Unless you have an external monitor attached all the time, disabling the iGPU will BSOD Windows. You can go into Nvidia Control Panel and manually assign the eGPU to handle all software if that's your preference. As long as Nvidia Optimus switches to use the eGPU for games and high demand software I would let it be.

I will find time to look for a compatible version of Intel Thunderbolt Software that's compatible with enclosure firmware update tool.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 31, 2017 9:23 pm  

Did anybody have any luck installing the H2D firmware fix with this setup? This is what I'm getting with Thunderbolt Software 16.2.55.275:

1)

first of all I can't see the actual box in the dropdown list cause there isn't one, and it should show see it according it the guide inside the firmware zip. But it lets me continue..

2)

..up until here where I get this error.

I've tried also with Thunderbolt Software 2.0.4.250 but with that one the firmware update utility wouldn't even start.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 1, 2017 3:51 am  

@ludalex I flashed the AORUS Gaming Box's firmware several times this evening with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro to make sure I capture all possible errors people may encounter. I found a solid procedure to get it done and will write a how-to tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
September 1, 2017 2:37 pm  

@ludalex I flashed the AORUS Gaming Box's firmware several times this evening with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro to make sure I capture all possible errors people may encounter. I found a solid procedure to get it done and will write a how-to tomorrow.

You're the best.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

ReplyQuote
(@keegan_shay)
September 3, 2017 2:07 pm  

I have a kind of funny question for anyone that's running this box full time on Boot Camp, it's not a big deal but does anyone else get a black screen when the fullscreen a YouTube video? The video works fine in default view and theatre mode, but when I hit fullscreen it just goes black. Like the display is still lit up and I still get the popup at the top of the screen saying that hitting ESC will take me out of fullscreen, but no video shows up. This is happening on an Apple Cinema Display connecting through mini-DP to DP to the Aorus box, but it also happens on the internal display.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 3, 2017 4:13 pm  
Posted by: Keegan Shay

I have a kind of funny question for anyone that's running this box full time on Boot Camp, it's not a big deal but does anyone else get a black screen when the fullscreen a YouTube video? The video works fine in default view and theatre mode, but when I hit fullscreen it just goes black. Like the display is still lit up and I still get the popup at the top of the screen saying that hitting ESC will take me out of fullscreen, but no video shows up. This is happening on an Apple Cinema Display connecting through mini-DP to DP to the Aorus box, but it also happens on the internal display.

Is your iGPU powering the internal display or no?

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
September 3, 2017 7:05 pm  

With this exact setup (external monitor) I have a really weird issue: I have a Dell display with built-in USB hub with plenty of stuff attached to it. The display is then connected to one of the Aours' USB, along with an Ethernet adapter.

When I play CS:GO with this setup, everything is super fine.

When I play PUBG, which looks definitely more resource intensive, the pheriperals attached to the Aorus start going crazy connecting/disconnecting. Could this be related to the fact that the TB3 cable isn't able to sustain the amount of data when playing a more resource intensive game? Seems weird to me.

ReplyQuote
Guavazo
(@guavazo)
September 8, 2017 5:10 pm  

@theitsage Thanks for he set up guide and work great for me except the last step, I can only get it to work on the right side type C port is that what you also experiencing? or should I start fresh again to get both side port working? I have the 2016 15 inch macbook with the 455. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 8, 2017 5:19 pm  
Posted by: Guavazo

@theitsage Thanks for he set up guide and work great for me except the last step, I can only get it to work on the right side type C port is that what you also experiencing? or should I start fresh again to get both side port working? I have the 2016 15 inch macbook with the 455. 

Which graphics card are you using? If you have an Nvidia card, you can go back into Device Manager to re-enable the x8 PCIe Controller - 1905 (this one is responsible for the left side USB-C/TB3 ports). Make sure the internal display is attached to the iGPU and x16 PCIe Controller - 1901 is disabled first. Otherwise the eGPU will be yellow-banged (error 12) at next boot.

ReplyQuote
(@keegan_shay)
September 10, 2017 10:32 pm  

I seem to be locked out of my Windows 10 partition. Through rEFInd I am able to get to the Windows boot screen with the logo, but the loading circle spins once then hangs and I am not sure how to fix it. I tried with and without the eGPU plugged in, I tried restoring to a System Restore point I made 2 days ago (the system restored but the boot still hangs), and nothing seemed to work. Currently I am going through the process of re-installing the Windows partition (I'm hoping re-installing fixes the issue I had where my laptop was unable to see/use ethernet cables on the Windows side, no ethernet driver appears in device manager), but in the future does anyone know how I can fix this? 

edit: After re-reading your guide, it seems the only issue I could be having is that I forgot to re-enable PCI x16 before I booted to the mac side. It's not something I remember forgetting, but the hanging boot up that comes from forgetting it is definitely the issue I'm experiencing.

edit 2: Crisis somewhat averted! I highly recommend buying Winclone 6 Basic if you haven't already, it's a macos program that allows you to back up and restore boot camp partitions, which I just did! Luckily I had a partition from about a week ago saved, so now I just have to get to reinstalling some things!

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@keegan_shay)
September 28, 2017 2:59 am  

Has anyone upgraded to High Sierra yet? If so, any issues with this boot process? I want to upgrade my mac side, but I'm worried that High Sierra will mess up rEFInd somehow (I've heard there are pretty substantial file and security changes).

ReplyQuote
Sereosh
(@sereosh)
October 21, 2017 1:23 am  

Hey guys, after several hours I managed to make the AORUS Gaming Box work on my 2016 15" MBP. It wasn't easy at all, but I did it. Now, is there a way to make switching between Boot Camp and macOS easier? When I want to go back to macOS I run dedicated.bat, otherwise only the dGPU will be used. However my battery life seems worse when I do that, even though it clearly says the iGPU is in use. The issue was temporarly solved by doing a SMC reset, but if I don't have to do that every time I want to switch, it'd be much better.

Here's my routine right now:

1. Restart/Shut down from macOS
  2. Boot normally into Windows, run integrated.bat then shut down
  3. Plug eGPU on top right thunderbolt port, boot into Windows using the apple_set_os.efi. eGPU is working fine there. Device manager shows 3 Displays adapters: Intel HD Graphics 530, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (yellow banged) and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I have only disabled Intel Xeon E3 PCIe Controller (x8) - 1905.
  4. Whenever I want to go back to macOS, I run dedicated.bat and reboot. iGPU shows up fine but battery life isn't so great.

Am I doing everything right? I'd love if there was some kind of macro that would make the process easier.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
xhount15
(@xhount15)
October 27, 2017 11:20 am  

Hi m8,

I made my own guide how I fixed it.

Please have a look :-).

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/asus-gaming-box-nividia-manual-for-macbook-pro-2017-13-inch-with-touchbar/

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Trusted Member
November 18, 2017 10:53 pm  

Hi theitsage and all,

Firstly thank you for all your help on these forums!

I am in a very similar situation to Robot Ripper. I want to try and my AGB working on external display first. I have 2017 MBP R560. 

I have disabled PCIe x8 and plugged the box into the top right port but also getting Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and Microsoft Basic Display adapter (I have already used DDU). It seems if I try installed nvidea drivers it crashes. 

Trying to get the right ports working as you believe that's the best option? I too get 1070 appearing if I use left ports (obviously x8 enabled when I try that but then get error 12)

Notes: I haven't updated the AGB, it that worth doing, the H2D update? Windows version 1703, OS build 15063.726?

Any help appreciated thanks!!

ReplyQuote
Acclaim
(@acclaim)
November 23, 2017 2:59 am  

Hello everyone, including @theitsage 

Hoping to get a hand with an issue I've encountered while following this implementation guide. First, my setup:

2017 15" MacBook Pro RP555 + GTX1070 Aorus Gaming Box + Windows 10/macOS High Sierra

Upon installing the latest Intel drivers (and previous versions.. in failed attempts at fixing the issue) I experience constant flickering at idle. When I move my mouse or a task places the system under load, the flickering stops. This occurs on the internal display. 

I have followed @theitsage 's implementation guide but once I run integrated.bat as an administrator and disable the PCIe x 8 ports I experience this issue upon reaching windows. Furthermore, with the iGPU running, the system does not recognize the Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070 does not display in device manager, nor does the box light up). If I restore my system to the point before I have installed the Intel drivers, the flickering does not occur but once again the GTX 1070 is not recognized. If I run dedicated.bat or boot without running the batch script, all three devices are displayed under device manager and I am able to adjust my brightness (confirming that I am running off the dGPU). 

I have tried foregoing the Intel drivers which prevents flickering but in this configuration the GTX 1070 is not recognized and I am unable to link the iGPU+eGPU to the internal display.

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Trusted Member
November 23, 2017 11:33 am  

Hi Acclaim,

I have the exact same set up as you (except R560 not R555 but we're disabling that anyway). I fixed the flickering by going to Intel settings and turning off auto display refresh. Let me know if that works for you. Do it for both on and off power adapter. I think it was called something like that, if you can't find it ill attach a screen shot.

Once you're all booted up with the integrated card working, disable PCIe x16, restart into efi boot (for integrated to work) and plug in the eGPU as the windows logo appears.   

IF you get VGA device for the 1070 in device manager, right click and select update driver and it should detect the installed nvidia drivers. 

ReplyQuote
CheckMate404
(@checkmate404)
November 26, 2017 8:05 pm  

I spent days on this, stuck on getting Windows to recognize the eGPU with my Macbook 15" 2016. I couldn't get it to recognize my Aorus Gaming Box 1070 unless something was plugged into the HDMI port of the eGPU.

With something plugged into the eGPU, the box lit up immediately upon hitting the power button on the Macbook, before choosing Windows from the boot menu. That's how I know Windows will recognize it. With nothing plugged in, it stayed dark.

Now that I have the drivers installed, I can boot to Windows without anything plugged into HDMI. I am now able to play SteamVR games on the HTC Vive, as it recognizes the internal display as a second monitor, instead of the Primary monitor.

Hope this helps someone.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3 Prev Next