late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [theitsage]  

Page 3 / 3 Prev

1mike12
(@1mike12)
December 6, 2017 11:26 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

Mantiz Venus, RX570, 560 (?) dGPU, Windows 10

I just wanted to say that the directions above totally work even for my AMD egpu. I think I used DDU to wipe away (and keep wiped away) the dGPU, then once rebooted, clicked" set windows device installation settings to default". I didn't download drivers from AMD, instead going to device manager and just letting it fix the missing driver.  

The only problem now is that although in windows I can have my max 5 external monitors, in mac, if I plug in the 5th monitor, the OS crashes and all I see are glitches on the screens. 

@theitsage  If you don't mind, some quick questions I'm very confused by.

1. Why can OSX handle error12 fine, while windows cannot

2. Does having a 2017 MBP without hacking this workaround offer benefits beyond the end result of this little procedure above?

3. Why would someone want the egpu plugged into the x8 PCIE slots, vs the x4. Isn't thunderbolt 3 limited to the x4 speed anyways?

Thanks a bunch for the guide!

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 7, 2017 2:55 am  

@1mike12, I'm glad to hear you got an AMD eGPU to work with your 2017 15" MacBook Pro in Boot Camp. While the 2017 with Large Memory allocation helps in some scenario what I believe contributes to this success is Windows 10 Fall Creator Update (1709). Prior to this version, I needed both x16 PCI Express controller – 1901 and PCI Express x8 Controller – 1905 disabled at boot in order to resolve error 12 with an AMD eGPU.

The best answer for question #1 is Nando's guide on DSDT override to fix eGPU error 12. For question #2, you're losing the use of the left Thunderbolt 3 ports to reserve resources for the AMD eGPU. For #3, it's basically a preference and desk arrangement. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

60 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@mel_jordon)
April 23, 2018 12:44 pm  

@theitsage I'm a new member and I just want to say your guides are awesome and helped my get my setup up and running! You're the man (or woman... don't want to assume anything 🙂 ). But either way I just wanted to post this to show anyone trying to get an AMD eGPU running (without internal graphics enhancement cause that's a whole different story). What I did to get my eGPU running on Windows 10 on Bootcamp with an AMD Radeon Pro 7100 (in a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W) and the 2017 15" MBP (Intel i7-7820HQ @ 2.90GHz) [Sorry I'm super cautious and I made several Manual Restore points to be safe]:

** Disclaimer: I'm only showing anyone trying to get an AMD Radeon Pro 7100 up and running on Bootcamp what I did to get mine to work following several steps from different posts in this thread. If you decide to use this information you do so at your own risk**

Assuming you already have Windows 10 installed on Bootcamp:
1. Create Manual Restore Point (Following the instructions above in @theitsage's Bootcamp eGPU Setup Guide [link above])
2. Download and install DDU (link is in @theitsage post up above) [Windows]
3. Use DDU to uninstall both the AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers. [Windows]
4. Manual Restore Point
5. Restart computer.
6. Go to Device manager -> View -> "connection by type" -> locate the Intel Xeon E3 PCIe Controller (x8) - 1905 -> right-click -> Disable device.
7. Manual Restore Point
8. Restart Computer (Just to make sure changes are saved)
9. Login as usual. [Windows]
10. Shut Down computer.
11. Plug in the eGPU to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports (the top port worked for me).
12. Bootup the computer and log in [Windows]
13. The computer should recognize the eGPU and attempt to install it.
14. Check the Device manager to see if two Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active.
15. Download the AMD Radeon Drivers [Windows]
16. Attempt to install (most likely it will say cannot install because no AMD hardware is present but I'm just writing exactly what I did sequentially)
17. Manual Restore point
18. [The weird part] In device manager locate Intel Xeon E3 PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901 and disable the device. YOUR INTERNAL DISPLAY WILL GO BLACK (which scared the hell out of 
me)
19. Since you can't see anything force shutdown the computer by holding the Touch ID/Power Button
20. Bootup the system in Windows and the internal display shouldn't work but the external monitor screen should be active.
21. Login and again attempt to install the AMD Radeon Drivers and this time it should be recognized by the system. [Windows]
22. After the driver installation is complete do another Manual Restore Point.
23. Restart the computer and again the external monitor display should be active and the Internal screen should be frozen on the Windows boot up screen like @hinza0188 post above
24. Log in and just confirm that in the Device Manager it shows the AMD Radeon Pro driver (for some reason the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter will not be listed)
25. Re-enable PCIe Controller (x8) - 1905
26. Re-enable PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901 (the internal display should miraculously turn on) 
27. Check to see that in device manager BOTH the AMD Radeon Pro driver and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter are listed under Display Adapters.
28. Manual Restore Point
29. Restart the computer.
30. Both the Internal Display and the External Monitor (being driven by the eGPU) should both be functional and you should be good to go.

This process however shouldn't go 100% smoothly. Throughout my setup process I had to do several force shutdowns and even had to use one of my manual restore points once. If you get stuck at some point what I did that would help is I would boot up into MacOS and then restart the computer and boot into Windows. 

I hope this helps someone!

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 23, 2018 3:08 pm  

@mel_jordon I'm glad to hear you got the Radeon Pro WX 7100 going in Bootcamp. Have you tried using 0xbb’s GPU-switch script to attach the internal display to iGPU? This is detailed in step 3 of the guide.

ReplyQuote
(@mel_jordon)
April 23, 2018 3:22 pm  

@itsage No I didn't try the gpu-switch script. Do you think I'd benefit from switching the iGPU to the internal display?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 23, 2018 3:25 pm  

@mel_jordon Most definitely. It's much safer than disabling PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901 while the dGPU is attached to internal display. That's why the screen went black.

ReplyQuote
(@mel_jordon)
April 23, 2018 3:32 pm  

@itsage I see. but since everything is working right now so can I still retroactively use the gpu-switch script and put the internal display on the iGPU?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 23, 2018 3:42 pm  

You can leave it as is if your AMD eGPU is working well. My comment was to recommend a safer alternative when there's no external monitor hooked up.

ReplyQuote
Gamerguysam
(@gamerguysam)
May 4, 2018 6:18 pm  

I’m a little late to the party on this but I’m running into a issue where the link provided for the intel drivers leads me to drivers that will not install. 2016 MBP with RP460 + Auros 1070 GGB. The error i get is this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 4, 2018 6:44 pm  

@gamerguysam What steps have you done to keep the Intel integrated GPU activated when boot into Windows? What does Device Manager » Display Adapter tree look like?

ReplyQuote
Gamerguysam
(@gamerguysam)
May 4, 2018 7:33 pm  

I think I found my issue. The guide i was following has things out of order a bit. It was based on this guide it seems but I’m gonna give it a go with this one... seems and EFI piece needs done.

ReplyQuote
Gamerguysam
(@gamerguysam)
May 4, 2018 9:25 pm  

Ok so I’m making progress but here is where I’m at. Looking to aim at an external screen not just internal. 

My options are thunderbolt screen or display port / HDMI. How to I aim at those?

ReplyQuote
Gamerguysam
(@gamerguysam)
May 5, 2018 4:46 am  

Ok it took a while but I’m golden. Your guide is extremely helpful

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev