late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + R9 Fury [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 23, 2017 2:40 pm  

I'm testing more combinations of Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures and graphics cards to finalize our Bootcamp eGPU setup guide for TB3 MacBook Pro. The steps for eGPU implementation on a late-2016 15" MacBook Pro are described here. AMD cards require both PCIe Controller 1901 (to dGPU) and 1905 (to left side TB3 ports) disabled at boot. The PCIe Controller 1905 can be re-enabled after AMD XConnect is up and running. The screen capture below shows R9 Fury X eGPU connected to a right side TB3 port (PCIe Controller 1909). Interestingly, one of the Downstream Switch Port suffered error 12 (yellow-banged/triangle with exclamation) while the one hosting the eGPU didn't.

The Sonnet Breakaway Box I have is the 350W version. It's capable of handling the R9 Fury Nitro and R9 Fury X. The radiator is mounted in place of the enclosure 120mm fan. Everything was a perfect fit. The only spot of warm air (roughly 45º C) is through the side vent where the radiator dissipates heat. Other parts of the eGPU enclosure was cool to the touch during operation (under 30º C). The GPU itself never got hotter than 65º C. 

Another purpose for this implementation is to compare with upcoming RX Vega eGPU implementations. If you have one, please share benchmark results so that we can get an idea of performance improvement going from the R9 Fury series to RX Vega series. I only had time to run Unigine and 3DMark in internal display mode last night. I'll add more in the coming weeks.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
André Santos Silva
(@andre_santos_silva)
September 27, 2017 11:36 am  

Thanks for this.

i am thinking of using a VEGA 56 with my sonnet 350.

since it handles the fury I am thinking the VEGA 56 will be fine?

late-2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + [email protected] (Sonnet Greakaway 350 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 27, 2017 3:13 pm  

The RX Vega series demand a beefier PSU than the Sonnet Breakaway Box's 350W power supply. I've been using the RX Vega 56 with a Mantiz Venus 550W and have not experienced power issues. I would not recommend anything less than that, PSU-wise.

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member
October 1, 2017 8:34 am  
Posted by: theitsage

The RX Vega series demand a beefier PSU than the Sonnet Breakaway Box's 350W power supply. I've been using the RX Vega 56 with a Mantiz Venus 550W and have not experienced power issues. I would not recommend anything less than that, PSU-wise.

Please you can measure exactly which maximum real length available in cm, this card is possible to fit KFA2 Gtx 1080 HOF this dimensions:

- Dimensions(without Bracket): 317 x 137 x 55mm

STAFF eGPU.it

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 2, 2017 2:29 pm  

@John_Petrucci, the longest card I was able to fit in this Sonnet Breakaway Box is the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro. The GPU is 307mm long. I don't think the KFA2 Gtx 1080 HOF will fit. You can see in this picture how there's no room left.

ReplyQuote