late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + [email protected] (HP OMEN Accelerator) + macOS10.13&Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 17, 2017 1:02 am  

I got an OMEN Accelerator this afternoon. The box was the biggest one I've seen yet for an eGPU enclosure. It was nicely padded inside and arrived safely. The OMEN Accelerator Shell is huge in term of footprint; it's large and in charge.

To test with macOS High Sierra, I installed an RX 580 Pulse 4GB. It was plug-and-play with the latest GM version of 10.13. Due to the difference in VRAM, 10.13 does not display Radeon RX 580 in About this Mac as it would have for the 8GB version of this GPU.

The firmware version of the OMEN Accelerator is 25.25 and power delivery is 60W.

I restarted into Windows 10 and thanks to my existing Bootcamp eGPU setup the OMEN Accelator + RX 580 started working right away. This enclosure does not suffer H2D half bandwidth issue as seen here in AIDA64. I ran a quick test with Luxmark 3.1.

More testings and full tear-down of the enclosure in the days ahead for a full review. Here are some screen capture of the HP OMEN Accelerator software.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Dextera and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
September 17, 2017 1:20 am  

Thank you for another exclusive implementation.

While this enclosure doesn't suffer from the H2D issue, it does appear to be statically reserving peripherals bandwidth (USB, SATA, LAN). You can see this since the AIDA64 GPGPU memory write matches your posted pre-fixed Mantiz Venus firmware at https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/mantis-venus/paged/36/#post-19907 being 2244MB/s.   The dynamic firmware gets a 2544MB/s memory write.

How much of an affect does this have? At 2244MB/s, there is a 11.8% bandwidth reduction. Probably not enough for users to notice but nonetheless, owners seeking maximum eGPU performance of this enclosure may want to pester HP to change that to be 0% statically allocated with  100% bandwidth for the eGPU unless a peripheral is being used upon which some bandwidth sharing occurs.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Dextera
(@dextera)
September 19, 2017 6:46 pm  

Hey! 🙂 

Can you give me a hint how you set up your Windows 10 Boot Camp to work with the eGPU? 

I have downloaded the drivers and software from the HP website, but in Boot Camp I cannot install the Thunderbolt Firmware Update and if I start the Omen Application: Nothing happens. 

When I boot into Boot Camp with the pluged in Omen, I get the Windows Logo Boot Screen on the MacBook Pro and nothing on the external screen. Thats it.

Thanks! 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 19, 2017 6:52 pm  

Welcome aboard @Dextera. I checked the firmware on HP support page and I believe it's for HP laptops, not for the OMEN Accelerator. Therefore, you don't need to download that firmware. In order to set up an eGPU in Bootcamp, please follow the procedure I wrote in this post.

Sebastian and Dextera liked
ReplyQuote
Dextera
(@dextera)
September 19, 2017 6:56 pm  

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check your post immediately 🙂 

Here, these are the drivers: 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 19, 2017 6:58 pm  

Don't download anything from HP Support page for your Mac in Bootcamp. Follow my procedure and you'll be able to use the OMEN Accelerator. Which GPU are you using?

Sebastian liked
ReplyQuote
Dextera
(@dextera)
September 19, 2017 7:03 pm  

I'm still reading your procedure 🙂 

I'm using the Omen with a Radeon RX580 8GB on a MacBook Pro 13" (so without dGPU). First I've tried a NVIDIA GTX 1080 on Sierra with the Enabler Script and it works perfect. But I want the native eGPU Support from High Sierra and best perfomance on FCPX, so i bought the AMD card. 

ReplyQuote
Dextera
(@dextera)
September 19, 2017 9:33 pm  

So - Thank you! 

Your post works fine for me. I have disabled one PCIe Controller and now the AMD is Running. 

Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 20, 2017 1:45 am  

I'm glad to hear the setup procedure worked for you. Enjoy your eGPU and MacBook Pro!

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member
September 23, 2017 8:46 am  
Posted by: theitsage

I'm glad to hear the setup procedure worked for you. Enjoy your eGPU and MacBook Pro!

Hi, please the dimensions box is 20x20x24 cm??, because don't understand the strange factory form!!!!

STAFF eGPU.it

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 23, 2017 6:03 pm  

@John_Petrucci, because of the way the box is angled the actual footprint is 10.5 x 10.75 x 16 in (26.7 x 27.3 x 40.6 cm).

ReplyQuote
MikeKeehnen
(@mikekeehnen)
November 17, 2017 11:23 pm  

I have a question about the hp omen accelerator software. 
I'm using this exact same setup but the software of the enclosure doesn't work.

When I open the app I'm getting a error: OMEN accelerator cannot be detected.
In Device manager the accelerator is recognized by the thunderbolt controller but in the thunderbolt software itself
the accelerator isn't recognized.

I'm also not able to succesfully install the firmware update. This is what happens when i'm trying to update:  https://www.screencast.com/t/BcvqUlUNo3XV

Please ask any questions if you have them.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@jim_peng)
April 11, 2018 12:48 pm  

So is your macbook pro with or without bar? I have macbook pro 13'' 2017 without bar, and gtx 1070, wanna know if it will work in boot camp windows 10. And how is its performance in gaming. Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 11, 2018 12:55 pm  

@jim_peng Please read our Bootcamp eGPU setup guide. Your non-Touchbar Macbook Pro is fairly easy to set up.

ReplyQuote
(@jim_peng)
April 11, 2018 1:01 pm  

Thank you very much! Do you think this enclosure is the best choice for me given that I can buy it for 224 US dollars, but I am not sure if other enclosures have better gaming performances?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 11, 2018 1:31 pm  

It's a great value at $224. Performance is on par with the other TB3 eGPU enclosures if you don't plan on using the SATA connection inside the enclosure.

ReplyQuote
(@acidreflux)
August 25, 2018 11:08 pm  

I dont know if anyone here could help me but I have an issue with this egpu enclosure. It wont power my Macbook Pro 13inch 2018 and I really dont understand why. No one else anywhere seems to have the same issue as well

ReplyQuote
(@sstaw)
November 18, 2018 5:47 am  

thanks guys! I'm having the same issue with bootcamp, omen and my macbook pro 2017 without touchbar...will read the guide and try to make the box work on windows!!!

EDITED: What a long guide...I need a break :S

ReplyQuote
Fred_erick
(@fred_erick)
November 21, 2018 2:35 pm  

I´ve got a 2018 MBP 15" with touchbar, an Omen Accelerator and a Vega 56. In macOS everything is perfect.
In Win 10 Pro 1803, I installed TB3 driver and the Omen App with an external monitor, everything is finde. But when I disconnect the Omen and I want to boot into Boot Camp, I see the Win 10 loading logo and than the monitor stays black.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 21, 2018 3:04 pm  

@fred_erick You need to use an external monitor with an AMD eGPU in Windows on the 2018 15" MacBook Pro. Download the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. Proceed to run DDU to remove stock drivers then install the Radeon drivers. Once you've done that, shut the laptop down then connect the RX Vega 56 eGPU to both your MBP and external monitor. Booting into Windows with this configuration should allow to the AMD eGPU to work with the external monitor while the internal display in off.

ReplyQuote
rloureiro
(@rloureiro)
November 21, 2018 5:36 pm  

I have a similar setup, but once I connect the HP Omen to my MBP13 Higher Sierra, it simply crashes, starting a reboot... this happen every time. Have you found similar issues, or did it work straight out of the box on macOS ?

ReplyQuote
Fred_erick
(@fred_erick)
November 21, 2018 9:14 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@fred_erick You need to use an external monitor with an AMD eGPU in Windows on the 2018 15" MacBook Pro. Download the modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. Proceed to run DDU to remove stock drivers then install the Radeon drivers. Once you've done that, shut the laptop down then connect the RX Vega 56 eGPU to both your MBP and external monitor. Booting into Windows with this configuration should allow to the AMD eGPU to work with the external monitor while the internal display in off.

@theitsage My problem is, that when the eGPU is not connected, the screen at Boot Camp stays black and I cant see a thing.

ReplyQuote