late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP455 + [email protected] (Powercolor Devil Box) + macOS10.12 & Win10 [TuringPointSoft] // Portable VR Machine  

RSS

TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)
March 15, 2017 6:01 pm  

Hey guys, been meaning to get around to this. School and work keep me busy.

System Specs:

Late 2016 Macbook Pro 15"Radeon Pro 455 dGPU, 512GB SSD

Intel Core i7 6820HQ

Radeon Pro 455 dGPU512GB SSD

512GB SSD

eGPU Hardware:

DEVIL BOX, Newest version TI83 Controller

Stripped the outer cage

Replacing fans, trying to decide if I want to use stock connectors or not

EVGA GTX1070 SC

512GB SSD inside eGPU

Pictures:

When I first got it, playing Arma 3 @ 4k

It's pretty sexy without that god awful case on it

VR Setup, sorry for the mess, will upload better pictures tonight.

I'm not aware of how to actually post photos, if anyone could enlighten me that would be great! 

Setup:

• Windows:
    • Windows was extremely easy to set up, I opened the box, put my GPU in it, restarted it in windows mode, then shut down to make sure when I powered it up it would boot into windows. Booted up, installed the correct drivers its self and worked perfectly.
      • I did end up updating the firmware so that it would work with mac, just to say it did... once I did that, in order to boot into windows I have to 'Hot Plug' it when the windows logo shows. Currently in contact with Power Cooler to work on fixes. Will keep everyone updated with this
    • NOTE: After booting with it plugged I can hot plug it in and out and it works.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: I discovered that the eGPU throws error 12 when plugged into the ports on the right side of my Macbook, I'm going to test every port tonight and update this. I never had to deal with error 12 and don't want to, I've only tested the rear right port(error 12), and the rear left port(No error). I will update tonight on the front ports on both sides.
    • Clam Shell Mode: I put the Macbook in "Clam Shell mode", aka closed to do this I go into windows power settings, "What to do when lid is closed" because the devil box powers the Macbook I say "When plugged in charging, DO NOTHING"
    • VR SETUP:
      • Oculus Rift & Touch
      • DEVIL BOX VR SETUP:
        • 3 Sensors plugged into the 3 USB 3.0 ports on the DEVIl BOX
        • HMD(Oculus Headset) USB plugged into an Apple USB 3.0 -> USB type C, plugged into the USB type C on the DEVIL BOX(I noticed the devil box doesn't push enough power to the USB 3.0 Ports to power HMD with 2 sensors plugged in).
        • HMD HDMI plugged into GTX 780(This is below Rift's official Spec, it run's most things perfectly fine, ROBO Recall, etc, I do plan on upgrading soon)
        • I have an external monitor/tv plugged into eGPU as well, I noticed that if the internal screen was on the games would crash after while due to conflicting drivers, to solve this I plugged in an internal screen/TV(HDMI-> DVI plug that I carry in portable case) and then in display options, "DISPLAY ONLY SECOND SCREEN" and I haven't had a single issue out of it.
        • When VR Gaming I put the mac in Clamshell mode
        • STEAM VR: If you follow my guide and you do the above step when you need a secondary screen, and shut off the internal screen it will work perfectly. I am going to tell you what will happen if you don't turn off the internal screen. 
        • Steam is weird when it comes to steamVR when I didn't have the external screen plugged in it would throw error 308(I believe) this basically meant that it was detecting two different Graphics card's and didn't like it. After turning off the internal screen everything worked perfectly.
  • MacOS:
    • I will be honest, I really don't care if it work's in MacOS, it was more or less to say I can. I had to update the firmware of the DEVIL BOX, the follow the automate eGPU guide and it worked. The only thing I noticed is that on my MacBook screen there were some issues regarding screen artifacts. I won't be doing any testing in MacOS, as my primary use for MacOS is application Development. Any game development takes place in windows.

UPDATE:

Working on some stuff. Just got a brand new GTX1070, threw error 12 on every single port. No idea what caused it. Performed DSDT(can you make it  permanent so you don't have to boot into clover every time?) override, took like 5 minutes(used to build hackintoshes). No error 12 yay!

Does anyone have any question's? Any benchmarks you'd like me to run?

I have a couple of questions:

Can you overclock your eGPU, if so what utility should I use?

@theitsage @nando4 @goalque @enjoy huge shoutout for making eGPU's a reality, and bringing light to them.

@itsmikerofl has been a huge help on Reddit, and on here!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage, ikir, enjoy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
March 16, 2017 2:24 pm  

Photos? 😀

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)
March 16, 2017 3:12 pm  

Sorry, I made it home and cooked dinner and started fooling with it trying to test some information Power Cooler sent me, still testing to see if it works well. I have some older photos, excuse the mess.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TuringPointSoft
(@turingpointsoft)
March 17, 2017 11:14 am  

I have updated a bit. After I bought a new 10 series GPU, it threw errors regardless of the port. Did the DSDT override, seriously took like 5 minutes. 

My question is, do I have to use clover each time I boot up into windows(to take advantage of eGPU) now?

ReplyQuote
sigma187
(@sigma187)
August 1, 2017 11:52 pm  

hey TuringPointSoft,

I realize this thread is a bit old but I was curious if you have run into any problems using oculus's software. I have a 2016 15" MBP TB R455 Akitio Node and a 908Ti and I finally have everything work on the windows side after a DSDT override. However I am having a an issue running the oculus set up software. When I first start up the install it won't let me get past the initial screen and says I need to update my graphics card drivers. Needless to say I already have the latest drivers for the 980Ti installed. Have you had any experience with this problem?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member
February 2, 2018 7:21 pm  

i have a similar setup with the devil box, do your usb and network ports work on the box in windows?

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote