late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP455 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [rushvora]^ // External SSD  

RSS

rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
June 25, 2017 3:42 pm  

Hello!

After four full days of painstaking trial and error, reinstalling Windows 10 five times, Error 12 issues, system randomly crashing, and starting over, I finally got the set up working perfectly! 

The instructions heavily follow previous guides with some changes here and there to make it work for my set up. Thus, a huge thanks in advance to the eGPU community, and to the people whose guides have helped me.

Notes :

1) The TB3 port that works best for me is the first USB-C port on the left. The one closer to you, when you're facing the screen.

2) I did not set up the eGPU to work in macOS, since I have no intention of using the eGPU in macOS. Only in Windows for 4k gaming.

3) I am not using any of the Mantiz Venus ports (USB 3.0, ethernet, SATA). I feel it's better for stability & performance to use different ports. (I could be wrong.)  I am using Anker's ethernet + 3 USB 3.0 dongle, and Satechi's USB-C SATA enclosure for the SSD.

4) Any external SSD should work, with a USB-C enclosure, or even a USB 3.0 dock. 

5) Update: The guide also works for the RP460 15" MBP. The DSDT process is exactly the same. And you can use the MGear's pre-complied RP455  DSDT as a template to fix your DSDT compilation errors. I did the same thing for another person's RP460 MBP, and it worked successfully!

Guide

First, let's prepare the external SSD. The eGPU should not be connected to the MBP.

1) Download the Windows 10 Anniversary edition ISO while in macOS. It's extremely important to be in macOS when downloading the ISO. 

Link to download page - http://lon.tv/winiso (Sorry for using this link, I'm in Windows as I write this guide, and I'm not able to reach the macOS page)

It's also important to download the Anniversary edition and not the creator's edition, which the MBP does not support installing yet.

2) Follow this guide exactly to install Windows to the external SSD .

3) For Bootcamp drivers, start Bootcamp Assistant, go to Action in menu bar and download WindowsSupport software. Copy the WindowsSupport folder to the SSD, or preferably a USB flash drive.

4) Once you're in Windows, install the bootcamp drivers, get it running perfectly.

5) Upgrade to the creator's edition using the Windows 10 upgrade assistant which should be on the desktop. This will take a long time.

6) Once the Windows 10 SSD is ready, with creator's edition, boot into macOS.

7) Install rEFInd in macOS. Download the binary zip file - http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

8) Get EFI Mounter v3 from here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/  

The purpose of the EFI Mounter is to store the apple_set_os.efi in the rEFInd EFI volume on the MBP SSD, thus negating the need for an external USB drive.

9) Download the efi file from here - https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases Related thread for this - https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/#post-1458

10) Start the EFI Mounter v3 app, and in the EFI volume, go into the EFI folder, create a folder called custom, and copy-paste the EFI file into this folder. See the two pictures below for a visual of the last few steps.

11) Now, we boot back into Windows on the SSD. You should be booting into Windows using rEFInd. I then followed this guide with some changes, so read on. ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-macbook-pro-rp460-gtx1080ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-node-macos-windows-10/)

For explanations for the below steps, see ryokun6's guide

NOTE : Every time you reboot, you should be booting into the OS using rEFInd! It should not boot into any OS (macOS or Win) automatically without going through rEFInd!

If the MBP is booting into any OS automatically, reinstall rEFInd by running the script in terminal again. 

12) Download http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.htm l" target="true">DDU - Start it up, and it'll recommend you to boot into safe mode, do so.

13) In safe mode, uninstall AMD drivers. Now after selecting clean install and restart, when restarting, in rEFInd, select the first option, which runs the apple_set_os.efi script, then select the Windows icon which you should have been selecting so far.

14) In Device Manager, there should be two display drivers without the necessary drivers. Now we install the Intel 530 driver. Uncheck the WinSAT box during the pre-installation setup. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530

We do not restart at the end of the Intel HD 530 setup! 

15) Install vcredist_x86 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Download gpu-switch - https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/releases/download/v0/gpu-switch-windows.zip, and run integrated.bat as an admin. It should show successfully switched to Intel iGPU.

16) Restart, and from now on, whenever booting into Windows, ALWAYS run the apple_set_os.efi script in rEFInd before selecting Windows. (if I've been repeating this, it's cause it's really important to remember.)

17) Check to see if the Intel HD 530 is working as expected, in device manager. Now, we disable the dGPU, as shown in the picture. We DO NOT disable the x16 link in view by connection window.

18) Now, I started the DSDT override process, following this guide! https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#post-716  

I know, the guide says to go through all the previous steps to fix error 12, but I did so previously with, twice screwing up Windows 10 and having to reinstall it.

19) Read the above guide fully and carefully! Then follow Step 1

20) Once you have the files prepared from Step 1, we will use the Intel method listed in option 1. After finishing step iv under Option 1, I got 4 errors, at line 9810 and so on. 

If the same thing has happened for you, great! We're nearly there. We shall download the pre-compiled DSDT for RP 455 MBP from Mgear1981 - https://egpu.io/nando4-shared/DSDT_overrides/Apple_2016_late-15in_Macbook_Pro_RP455_mgear1981.zip

Open your dsdt-modified.dsl in notepad++. Open Mgear1981's dsd-modified.dsl in another tap in notepad++. Go to line 9810, and make the changes so that yours and his file looks the same in that code block.

AFAIK, the change was just a closing bracket before the If statement, and removing a set of opening-closing brackets after that.

NOTE : If you have the same error during compilation, and have the RP450 or RP460 MBPs, MAYBE the same fix will work for you! Be careful, as an incorrect file could force you to start over!

21) Run step iv again, (iasl -ve dsdt-modified.dsl). It should compile now!

22) Go to Step 2 in the DSDT override guide. We will be loading dsdt-modified.aml as a registry override. Follow the steps as instructed. Reboot! (Again, don't forget to run apple_set_os script before selecting Windows in rEFInd)

23) Large memory should appear in Device Manager now! We are very close the finish line! Now we download the latest Nvidia drivers. AMD folks, if you've been following this guide, should do the same. Hopefully this works for y'all as well.

24) Now we connect the eGPU while in Windows, to the first USB-C port on the left, the one closer to you as you face the screen.

If your Windows has crashed, don't worry, keep the eGPU connected, and boot back into Windows again. If your Windows hasn't crashed after plugging in the eGPU, awesome! If the circular motion during Windows bootup get stuck, you gotta force shut down the MBP, disconnect the eGPU, boot back into Windows, reconnect the eGPU while in Windows.

25) As soon as the 3rd display adapter shows up in device manager (it'll show up as something like Microsoft Basic Display adapter), we start the drivers installation. Once the drivers are installed, we restart! (again, don't forget to run the script in rEFInd! Make it a muscle memory to always select the script before selecting Windows!) 

26) Now, as Windows loads, the eGPU should be functioning! If you have the eGPU connected to the external monitors, they should be working as well.

Enjoy!! Hopefully you are not running into Error 12 issues. (no need to disable x16 connection, only the dGPU display adapter.)

Finally, some important reminders!

1) If you need to reboot into macOS, you need to enable the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, basically the dGPU adapter, and run dedicated.bat as an admin, before rebooting/shutting down! Otherwise macOS will hang right away.

2) When you're changing from macOS to Windows, always remember to select the script before booting into Windows. Also, your eGPU should be unplugged. First time, you need to disable the Microsoft Basic Display adapter in device manager, and run integrated.bat, and shut down. Plug in the eGPU, and then boot into Windows. Should be ready to game or anything else!

3) Yes, you will be booting into macOS using rEFInd as well. No, you do not need to select the apple_set_os script before booting into macOS.

Let me know if this guide helps you!

late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP455 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 // external SSD

Roddydesu and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 25, 2017 4:04 pm  

Thank you for the post. Can you advise why you did the apple_set_os.efi AND the DSDT override? Based on previous RP4xx 15" MBP implementations, owners did one or the other to resolve error 12.  Did you test them independently to see which solved your error 12? The apple_set_os.efi bootup method adding some more complexity since require the extra step of switching through the iGPU to the LCD using gpu-mux (integrated.bat) prior to (re)booting up windows.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
June 25, 2017 4:15 pm  
Posted by: nando4

Thank you for the post. Can you advise why you did the apple_set_os.efi AND the DSDT override? Based on previous RP4xx 15" MBP implementations, owners did one or the other to resolve error 12.  Did you test them independently to see which solved your error 12? The apple_set_os.efi bootup method adding some more complexity since require the extra step of switching through the iGPU to the LCD using gpu-mux (integrated.bat) prior to (re)booting up windows.

I didn't test independently, cause in the previous Win 10 installation, the apple_set_os.efi was not enough to get rid of Error 12. I even disabled other PCI stuff along with x16, still no luck, and I ended up disabling too many connections causing Windows to crash and burn.

With this trial, I decided to get Intel HD530 running perfectly, and then do DSDT override to have the extra resources before plugging in the eGPU, and it worked perfectly!

late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP455 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 // external SSD

ReplyQuote
rawweb
(@rawweb)
Trusted Member
June 25, 2017 5:08 pm  
Posted by: nando4

I had the same issue and also had to do both to get my setup working.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and rushvora liked
ReplyQuote
mklegend
(@mklegend)
Eminent Member
June 26, 2017 1:04 am  

Hi

I've used the same method (from Lon.tv) to install windows 10 on an external SSD (Raid SSD), but I'm not able to update to creators edition due to the UEFI error, would you please tell me how did you solve this issue?

Best Regards,

Mohammad Katayen (mklegend)

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
June 26, 2017 1:47 am  
Posted by: mklegend

Hi

I've used the same method (from Lon.tv) to install windows 10 on an external SSD (Raid SSD), but I'm not able to update to creators edition due to the UEFI error, would you please tell me how did you solve this issue?

Hey, sorry but because the Lon.tv method is using Windows to Go, it won't be able to update to creator's edition. I had the same problem, I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 and starting from scratch. This time, I used this guide as I posted above. -  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-install-windows-10-bootcamp-on-an-external-hdd-or-ssd/#post-7318

You still have to use the anniversary edition ISO, but once you've completed the setup, you'll be able to update to creator's edition and follow the steps listed above.

mklegend liked
ReplyQuote
Tameimpala
(@tameimpala)
June 27, 2017 1:45 am  

This way is the surefire way to make a GTX 1080 TI work on the late 2016 MBP! Loving this setup. Thanks so much!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

rushvora and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
June 27, 2017 4:05 pm  

With the Mantiz Venus do you notice an degradation to the performance of the GPU when using the other ports on the dock like the Ethernet and USB ports?

2017 3.1ghz 15" MBP, 16gb of Ram, and Radeon 560 - Mantiz Venus EGPU with Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W power supply and Noctua fan - EVGA SC 1080TI - LG 34UC87M-B

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
June 27, 2017 11:24 pm  
Posted by: Lunchbox

With the Mantiz Venus do you notice an degradation to the performance of the GPU when using the other ports on the dock like the Ethernet and USB ports?

I haven't tested that at all, since I'm using the other USB-C ports on the MBP. One USB-C port connects to a dongle (Ethernet + 3 USB 3.0, all in use), and another USB-C port connects to the external SSD.

If there is a sure method to test GPU performance with and without those connections, I can move the ethernet + USB 3.0 devices to the Venus and compare.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
June 28, 2017 5:27 am  

You could probably measure the performance with and without using something like the Unigine Heaven benchmark and compare the scores to measure the impact?

2017 3.1ghz 15" MBP, 16gb of Ram, and Radeon 560 - Mantiz Venus EGPU with Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W power supply and Noctua fan - EVGA SC 1080TI - LG 34UC87M-B

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
June 28, 2017 6:41 am  

You could probably measure the performance with and without using something like the Unigine Heaven benchmark and compare the scores to measure the impact?

Yeah that should be easy to do. Will do so on Thursday.

ReplyQuote
Tameimpala
(@tameimpala)
June 30, 2017 2:53 am  
Posted by: Tameimpala

This way is the surefire way to make a GTX 1080 TI work on the late 2016 MBP! Loving this setup. Thanks so much!

Here is 1 benchmark, let me know if anyone wants me to run anything specific

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20770974?

ReplyQuote
panchitous
(@panchitous)
July 3, 2017 7:05 am  

it works like a charm but... most games that have online capabilities don't work with bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON, the only way you bypass that if by doing a dsdt via clover, don't get me wrong, your solution it's amazing and pretty well documented, with your solution I can get to run my 1080 ti strix with PCIx 16. 

Question:

Have you tried to install your solution with clover?

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
July 3, 2017 3:00 pm  
Posted by: panchitous

it works like a charm but... most games that have online capabilities don't work with bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON, the only way you bypass that if by doing a dsdt via clover, don't get me wrong, your solution it's amazing and pretty well documented, with your solution I can get to run my 1080 ti strix with PCIx 16. 

Question:

Have you tried to install your solution with clover?

It's not most games, it's just games that use BattleEye as anticheat. PUBG, Divison, Ghost Recon, etc. I haven't tried to use Clover, but I plan to do so after August 14th, as till then I cannot risk bricking the MBP and having it fixed by Apple which would take some days.

As such I'm pretty confident the Clover method will work, it uses the same file that we successfully used via the test signing method, but I cannot take that risk right now.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
July 3, 2017 4:30 pm  

Are you able to explain a bit more about the issue with Battle eye because ALL the games I play use it and you've got me worried... if it's documented elsewhere links would suffice (I shall also google).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
July 3, 2017 5:53 pm  

Here is 1 benchmark, let me know if anyone wants me to run anything specific

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20770974?

This benchmark is without any other port being used right? Which 1080ti do you have?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
panchitous
(@panchitous)
July 3, 2017 10:10 pm  

me neither and you're correct, it's doesn't works with BattleEye games.

@Eightarmedpet in order to apply the DSDT  without the constant danger of bricking your mac, this solution use test signed mode in windows in order to make room for the egpu once windows has loaded, the problem is that BattleEye games, likes the one that rushvora mentioned, checks if windows is running with this flag; if true, then this games won't be able to run.

The good thing about this approach is that your machine will run in the fastest PCI and without having problems, I tried other methods listed in this site and the performance it isn't so good and I had a lot of troubles with my headphone —astro a50— and usb in general.

ReplyQuote
panchitous
(@panchitous)
July 4, 2017 1:25 am  

My results with 3D mark

http://3dmark.com/3dm/20849908?

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
July 4, 2017 7:02 am  

Cheers for the reply... I am familiar with DSDT over rides but slightly confused why it is needed here but I may be being daft and have little experience with egpu (AKA None so far, products in the post). Is this solution for 15inch MacBooks? Or is it because W10 is on an external? I'd rather take a slight performance hit than not be able to run the games I play...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---

ReplyQuote
panchitous
(@panchitous)
July 4, 2017 8:50 am  

I didn't installed it in external. I just followed the rest of the guide. 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
July 5, 2017 1:58 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Just did some more reading and looks like I won't have toy worry about half of this due to having a 13inch not 15....

Yes, it's a lot easier to implement eGPU on the 13". The need for DSDT override is due to Windows not allocating PCI-E resources to the eGPU, the same resources which are occupied by the dGPU. The 13" implementation should not run into code 12 errors since well, there is no dGPU!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 5, 2017 2:46 am  
Posted by: rushvora
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Just did some more reading and looks like I won't have toy worry about half of this due to having a 13inch not 15....

Yes, it's a lot easier to implement eGPU on the 13". The need for DSDT override is due to Windows not allocating PCI-E resources to the eGPU, the same resources which are occupied by the dGPU. The 13" implementation should not run into code 12 errors since well, there is no dGPU!

While is this generally the case with the 13" TB3 MBP, it's not always true. I had a non-touchbar 2016 13" MBP which had error 12. It was a simple fix by disabling the iSight connection in Device Manager.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
July 5, 2017 6:36 am  

Cheers for the replies guys, feel like I am hounding this forum quite a bit atm but I am trying to digest as much info as possible in the hope of an easy set up... my 2017 13 MacBook Pro arrives today and the Node Lite is out this month so lets see how it all goes... AMD or NVIDIA card is the big question atm, I game in Windows where a 1050ti would shine but use FCP X in macOS, both would be linked to an external display... (maybe the LG Ultrafine).

---

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
July 5, 2017 7:11 am  

Best of luck. I will say this, I recommend keeping a lot of time aside to get the system up and running flawlessly. Took me four days to get it all done!

Also, I saw a post on the eGPU subreddit, where a 2017 15" MBP did not run into code 12 errors, he did not even have to disable the dGPU. But this was only the case when he used the left USB-C port, the one closer to you when you're facing the screen. All the other ports gave him some problem or the other. 

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
July 5, 2017 7:43 am  

Yep, this is mentioned in the pre-boot process section of the apple_set_os.efi thread. It's important to use the correct USB-C port, depends on the enclosure.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Djsisnsk
(@djsisnsk)
July 9, 2017 12:42 am  

This is the only implementation that has worked for me thank you so much 

rushvora liked
ReplyQuote
SympathyRS
(@sympathyrs)
July 9, 2017 3:17 am  

Would this work with the 2017 mbp with the RP560? They are theoretically identical cards but would the procedures be any different? I am looking to have a similar setup for mine 

ReplyQuote
rushvora
(@rushvora)
Trusted Member
July 9, 2017 4:12 am  
Posted by: SympathyRS

Would this work with the 2017 mbp with the RP560? They are theoretically identical cards but would the procedures be any different? I am looking to have a similar setup for mine 

My guess is the DSDT override would be a lot more complicated, since there isn't a pre-working DSDT file to compare to. 

Also, try to solve Error 12 issues without doing DSDT, good chance the 2017 MBP might fare better.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 10, 2017 11:21 pm  

Rushvora, I just received my Mantiz and am testing out the wired ethernet port and am getting nothing, were you able to set up the wired ethernet port, was it just plug and play for you or did you have to set up a network interface? (talking in Mac OSX)

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 11, 2017 4:30 pm  

Rushvora, I just received my Mantiz and am testing out the wired ethernet port and am getting nothing, were you able to set up the wired ethernet port, was it just plug and play for you or did you have to set up a network interface? (talking in Mac OSX)

You need drivers for macOS. Here's the link -  http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=131

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

rushvora liked
ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member
July 14, 2017 4:31 am  

I just got everything setup with my Mantiz and 1080 ti.  Honestly I just plugged the Venus into the left front thunderbolt port of my 2017 15" MBP and I had no issues at all with windows.  (Mac OS X has been a completely different story due to the Nvidia drivers and I still don't have that working yet).  You can see my first  bench mark here:

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2066344

This was with the Ethernet port on the Venus in use and two of the rear usb ports (external keyboard mouse and some other things plugged in). 

This second score here:

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2066450

was with no ports on the Venus in use and wifi now on.   As you can see the 3D Mark score was higher with the USB ports and Ethernet port in use leaving me to believe any impact from them is minimal on the GPU performance.   

ReplyQuote