late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP460 + GTX1080Ti-FE@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [konceptz]^ // no OS modifications  

konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 19, 2017 12:36 pm  

After playing with the drivers, settings and other awesome information here, and not wanting to create large memory spaces in my windows, I decided to try getting a viable working solution without any special modifications to windows.

The end result being that I have the Radeon 460 working on the internal MBP dispay and the eGPU working on a display plugged into the external card.  The workflow is just that I have to boot up, open device manager, disable card, flick a switch off and then on and finally re-enable.  Not more than 30 seconds of extra work per boot.

YMMV but this workflow seems to be good enough for me.

1. Install bootcamp using windows 10 using the latest windows ISO from Microsoft.  (Todo: add link)
  2. Let windows install.  Once windows had completely installed, shutdown the computer.
  3. Start up machine with the Akitio Node with GPU plugged into the closest port on the left hand side
  4. Update drivers for the Node. (Todo: verify this step with others as I already updated the drivers before clean re-install)
  5. Notice that the GPU is detected and install drivers for the GPU
  6. Everything should work now, except that the card won’t work correctly when you reboot.
  7. When starting up or rebooting, keep the card plugged into the same port as above; the left hand, closest port to you.
  8.  Once in windows, open Device manager and notice that the GPU has Error 43
  9. Disable the device and then turn off the card at the power source in the back of the akitio box.
  10. Notice that the card has been removed from the list of available GPUs
  11. Turn the akitio node 3 back on.
  12. Notice that the card has now reappeared as disabled.
  13. Enable the card and all should work.  
  14. I’ve noticed zero stability issues while gaming for hours and doing all the benchmarks.  

This means that I have the 460 working on the internal display and the 1080ti working on the external display.  I did see a performance degradation of about 10% comparing the 1080ti’s benchmarking in Heaven to those found online.  

Interestingly, I see that the port is enabled at only PCI Express x8 Gen3 via nvidia control panel.  (Help>>System Information)  Playing with the port did not yield an x16 connection and did not allow me to boot while plugged for some of the other ports. (YMMV)

Benchmarks

Edited: 1 year  ago

theitsage, nando4, ed_co and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 19, 2017 3:56 pm  

But having the allocation address problem in Windows, I don't understand how you can do that without the penalty of disabling other things in the computer... Someone understands??

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.4 & Win10

ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 19, 2017 4:07 pm  

Hi Ed,

Interestingly, I have not experienced this issue with the above method.  It's untested as to why I do not have these issues but I certainly have not disabled anything.  I'm happy to provide screen grabs or system reports/logs if anyone wants to take a deeper look.

Memory Allocation

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member
April 19, 2017 5:15 pm  
Posted by: konceptz

"13. Enable the card and all should work."

I'm doing exactly this on a near-identical setup, and it's not working at step 13. Disabling, switching off, and re-enabling is as you describe, but my GPU still shows Error 43. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 19, 2017 5:28 pm  

Hey Benr,

Just some quick troubleshooting steps or variables I left out.

Do you have a 15" 2016 Touchbar?  Otherwise I also have the power connected through the far right-side and a usb hub connected to the near-right side plug.  (Unsure if this should matter).

Is your firmware for Ankitio Node 3 updated per the latest on their website?

Is your Thunderbolt 3 windows updated with the Intel Nuc drivers?  (I didn't technically do this this time, but I think it autoupdated)

Did you copy these steps from a fresh install of windows 10?  I'm using (per winver) V.1607 Build 1439.1066

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 20, 2017 1:27 pm  

Hi Ed,

Interestingly, I have not experienced this issue with the above method.  It's untested as to why I do not have these issues but I certainly have not disabled anything.  I'm happy to provide screen grabs or system reports/logs if anyone wants to take a deeper look.

Memory Allocation

I am not the one with enough knowledge to know about, but I am sure someone could help to understand what is happening here...

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.4 & Win10

ReplyQuote
cal1poon
(@cal1poon)
April 22, 2017 3:13 pm  

Hi Konceptz,

I have the exact same hardware and software setup as yours, and I had been trying to get past your 3rd step in the last few days without any success:

3. Start up machine with the Akitio Node with GPU plugged into the closest port on the left hand side

Windows will hang while booting...the spinner would literally stop at the exact same spot every time if my eGPU is plugged in before I turn on my machine.  I can only plug it in after the system boots and I could install drivers, etc, but that's about it.  The card would still not work.  Have you encountered this?

I am able to get my setup to work under macOS...so I know the hardware is functional, FYI.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
ebonyknigh
(@ebonyknigh)
April 25, 2017 6:09 pm  

Hi Konceptz,

I'm new to egpu. I have the same computer and I've just ordered the Akitio Node. Before jump right into it, I still have a few questions: 

1. How do you manage your graphic card drivers? Do you just install drivers for both sides? Do they cause problems when you are plugging in/out or when the eGPU is not connected?

2. Can you manage to use eGPU acceleration when you are only using internal display? 

Thank you very much!

ReplyQuote
Rezo
 Rezo
(@rezo)
April 26, 2017 11:37 am  

mine worked as well.

At first I got an error code 43 with the windows default driver, then I just downloaded and did a clean install with the latest nvidia driver (381.89).

After reboot, it worked just like a magic, did not even need to disable and re-enable the device.

nothing else was needed, may be because of the windows insider program update with extra support of eGpus?

I am so excited right now I just want to play with some benchmarks

*edit* ran the benchmark and  a few reboots.

After the first reboot, yes I still need to disable/enable the card and do hardware change scans to avoid sudden error 43(it may also reoccurs after waking up from sleep mode)

benchmark has similar result from konceptz's and I am satisfied with it.  Thank God.

*edit 2

and yeah, macOS worked magically smooth as bootcamp.

Ran automate-eGPU.sh once, got the latest driver installed from it, reboot,

went to nvidia driver manager, set the radio mark to nvidia webdriver, reboot again and boom, everything just worked out beautifully.

cant believe I bricked one MBP and couldn't get this to work just two months ago...

* edit 3

yeah... I just noticed that its PCIe Lane Width is still 4x under MacOS, wonder what will  I need to tweak for it to work at its full potential

konceptz liked
ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 26, 2017 3:55 pm  
Posted by: cal1poon

Hi Konceptz,

I have the exact same hardware and software setup as yours, and I had been trying to get past your 3rd step in the last few days without any success:

3. Start up machine with the Akitio Node with GPU plugged into the closest port on the left hand side

Windows will hang while booting...the spinner would literally stop at the exact same spot every time if my eGPU is plugged in before I turn on my machine.  I can only plug it in after the system boots and I could install drivers, etc, but that's about it.  The card would still not work.  Have you encountered this?

I am able to get my setup to work under macOS...so I know the hardware is functional, FYI.

Thanks!

Hey. Did you try booting with the connector in other ports?

For me, the port closest to you while facing the computer on the left side is the one that works, otherwise I get the exact same issue as you described .

cal1poon liked
ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 26, 2017 3:58 pm  
Posted by: Rezo

mine worked as well.

At first I got an error code 43 with the windows default driver, then I just downloaded and did a clean install with the latest nvidia driver (381.89).

After reboot, it worked just like a magic, did not even need to disable and re-enable the device.

nothing else was needed, may be because of the windows insider program update with extra support of eGpus?

I am so excited right now I just want to play with some benchmarks

*edit* ran the benchmark and  a few reboots.

After the first reboot, yes I still need to disable/enable the card and do hardware change scans to avoid sudden error 43(it may also reoccurs after waking up from sleep mode)

benchmark has similar result from konceptz's and I am satisfied with it.  Thank God.

*edit 2

and yeah, macOS worked magically smooth as bootcamp.

Ran automate-eGPU.sh once, got the latest driver installed from it, reboot,

went to nvidia driver manager, set the radio mark to nvidia webdriver, reboot again and boom, everything just worked out beautifully.

cant believe I bricked one MBP and couldn't get this to work just two months ago...

* edit 3

yeah... I just noticed that its PCIe Lane Width is still 4x under MacOS, wonder what will  I need to tweak for it to work at its full potential

Hey Rezo. I noticed that the pci usage is not high. There are benchmarks showing 16 > 8 pci is not major.  I have a feeling that the physical distance is a more major bottleneck. Will report back. 

ReplyQuote
cal1poon
(@cal1poon)
April 26, 2017 4:29 pm  

For me, the port closest to you while facing the computer on the left side is the one that works, otherwise I get the exact same issue as you described .

That seems to be exactly what I needed!  Thanks! 🙂

It turns out that you would have to go through many hoops just to enable the integrated graphics card in order to get the eGPU to work with the port on the left further away from you.  That alone cost me many hours of frustration.  After reinstalling my Windows 10 and trying your suggestion, it worked right out of the box.  I didn't even need to install drivers from nvidia installer...Windows grabbed an older version of the card driver from windows update and everything worked as expected.  

konceptz liked
ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 26, 2017 11:28 pm  
Posted by: cal1poon

That seems to be exactly what I needed!  Thanks! 🙂

It turns out that you would have to go through many hoops just to enable the integrated graphics card in order to get the eGPU to work with the port on the left further away from you.  That alone cost me many hours of frustration.  After reinstalling my Windows 10 and trying your suggestion, it worked right out of the box.  I didn't even need to install drivers from nvidia installer...Windows grabbed an older version of the card driver from windows update and everything worked as expected.  

Great!  I'm glad you got this up and working. It's still a bit of a hack but much easier than some of the workarounds. 

ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
April 26, 2017 11:32 pm  
Posted by: ebonyknigh

Hi Konceptz,

I'm new to egpu. I have the same computer and I've just ordered the Akitio Node. Before jump right into it, I still have a few questions: 

1. How do you manage your graphic card drivers? Do you just install drivers for both sides? Do they cause problems when you are plugging in/out or when the eGPU is not connected?

2. Can you manage to use eGPU acceleration when you are only using internal display? 

Thank you very much!

1:  I only installed the Nvidia drivers after the Radeon drivers from boot camp were installed. So technically both sides. 

2:  the internal display only seems to work with the internal gpu. I haven't tried (nor do I want to really) use the internal display to game.  60hz is not for me 🙂

ReplyQuote
geaguirre80
(@geaguirre80)
Eminent Member
April 30, 2017 5:52 pm  

This method works for me too (Macbook Pro 2016 15" RP450), but I was getting error 12 all the time until I started disabling and enabling Tunderbolt PCIe bridges, then I got error 43 and followed your method. My 980Ti is running at 8x but I can live with that.

After rebooting I'm getting error 43 again, just had to disable my 980Ti, turnoff Akitio Node (wait 1 sec, lol), turn on Akitio Node, enable 980ti, done.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 30, 2017 6:30 pm  
Posted by: geaguirre80

This method works for me too (Macbook Pro 2016 15" RP450), but I was getting error 12 all the time until I started disabling and enabling Tunderbolt PCIe bridges, then I got error 43 and followed your method. My 980Ti is running at 8x but I can live with that.

After rebooting I'm getting error 43 again, just had to disable my 980Ti, turnoff Akitio Node (wait 1 sec, lol), turn on Akitio Node, enable 980ti, done.

The apple_set_os.efi thread has been given a reboot for easier implementation. If you want to try again the benefit is you'd gain a NVidia Optimus eGPU accelerated internal LCD mode. There is a documented RP4xx late-2016 15" MBP confirmed success.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

konceptz liked
ReplyQuote
rhodesy22
(@rhodesy22)
May 2, 2017 2:19 am  

Thank you so much for this! I'd spent hours working on other methods to no avail.

With 15" 2016 MBP with AMD RP 460 I don't even have to restart anything on startup - the 1080GTX with Akitio Node works immediately .

Because the fan is annoying and I only want the external screen to support the graphics card I have a Belkin Wemo plug so I can turn the Akitio Node and monitor along with attached USB mouse without having to go under the desk.

I feel like I may be missing out on some performance though with it being attached to pcie8 rather than pcie16. Have you found a work around for that?

For reference At 3440 x 1440 on Battlefield 1 I'm getting 55 - 60 FPS on Ultra compared to 86 - 92 FPS when I had it inside a gaming rig 6600k OC'd to 4.6Ghz. It's a shame I can't test the same setup while keeping the same processor.

ReplyQuote
Rezo
 Rezo
(@rezo)
May 3, 2017 6:07 am  

Posted by: rhodesy22

With 15" 2016 MBP with AMD RP 460 I don't even have to restart anything on startup - the 1080GTX with Akitio Node works immediately .   

For the past week, I have also noticed that error43 no longer occurs, I guess microsoft may have improved the capability with their recent windows updates?

ReplyQuote
edwardsean
(@edwardsean)
Trusted Member
May 9, 2017 12:54 pm  

Hi. I have the same exact 15" 2016 MacBook + RP460 and I don't know how you guys aren't getting error12. I tried using the port you suggested but still get error12. I wonder what the difference is. 

If you guys have any insight, please let me know.

ReplyQuote
nalrodriguez
(@nalrodriguez)
May 11, 2017 3:05 am  

Hey how is this method still working ? I just received my 1060 GTX , only waiting for the Node now. I wanna try this method first, because i rather not modify anything if i dont have too.  As a side note, my macbook pro monitor is never on, I have it docket, using a LG34UX98. 

ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
May 17, 2017 5:29 pm  
Posted by: nalrodriguez

Hey how is this method still working ? I just received my 1060 GTX , only waiting for the Node now. I wanna try this method first, because i rather not modify anything if i dont have too.  As a side note, my macbook pro monitor is never on, I have it docket, using a LG34UX98. 

Hey, 

Method is working perfectly still.  

ReplyQuote
konceptz
(@konceptz)
May 21, 2017 2:10 am  
Posted by: rhodesy22

Thank you so much for this! I'd spent hours working on other methods to no avail.

Because the fan is annoying and I only want the external screen to support the graphics card I have a Belkin Wemo plug so I can turn the Akitio Node and monitor along with attached USB mouse without having to go under the desk.

I feel like I may be missing out on some performance though with it being attached to pcie8 rather than pcie16. Have you found a work around for that?

For reference At 3440 x 1440 on Battlefield 1 I'm getting 55 - 60 FPS on Ultra compared to 86 - 92 FPS when I had it inside a gaming rig 6600k OC'd to 4.6Ghz. It's a shame I can't test the same setup while keeping the same processor.

I just did a performance test with my friend's 1080TI.  We did a heaven benchmark and he got 14 FPS average more than me, so a little over 10%.

The dramatic jump that you show may not be due to the gpu only.  The processor above should be MUCH faster than the MacBook's i7.

ReplyQuote
Mythos
(@mythos)
May 31, 2017 3:51 pm  

Can you help me? I've got the Macbook Pro 15" with radeon Pro 460. I did a clean bootcamp install yesterday (Version 1703) but it doesnt detect the node nor the gpu in it (1080). Which thunderbolt drivers did you use? Seems like mine won't work.

ReplyQuote
Jenubis
(@jenubis)
May 31, 2017 9:39 pm  

Hello

exact same problem for me , the card (EVGA 1070) doesn't even appear on device manager , doesnt show up as hidden graphic card or under pci connection (actually only thunderbolt seems to awaken) , working great if i boot to mac , tried every single port...

setup worked great before but had to format bootcamp partition

firmware updated on the node this is really confusing

if anyone have an idea it would be great , cannot even use oculus rift anymore

thanks in advance 🙂

Edited: 12 months  ago

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Jenubis
(@jenubis)
June 1, 2017 5:12 pm  

Hello

Thanks a lot nando for your quick support 🙂

i installed the driver you've mentioned , but Nothing changed

i took screenshot from hwinfo, and it seems that where the graphic card is supposed to appear , i see another thunderbolt controller

akitio node issue

do you have an idea? i'm out of solution

thanks a lot in advance 🙂

ReplyQuote
Atty
 Atty
(@atty)
June 9, 2017 4:32 am  

Interested in going a similar route with my '17 15'' MBP.

How is the external monitor connected? From the Mac or from the eGPU? Any extra lag when gaming? Difficulty in getting Windows to install drivers? 

ReplyQuote
bs2k
 bs2k
(@bs2k)
June 21, 2017 6:36 am  

Thank you so much for this!  I spent countless hours getting my Node to work with my 2016 15 MBP.  What I found though was that my Node only works when plugged into right side Thunderbolt furthest away from me (closer to the screen).  I tested all 4 ports and this was the only one that works.

Note to others who can't get it to work, try every thunderbolt port to see if any other port works.  

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
zlanich
(@zlanich)
July 14, 2017 1:26 am  

Hey all, I had the Akitio Node working with the configuration listed below, then something went wrong, and now Win 10 won't pick up the eGPU as a Display Adapter. It shows up at the bottom of the Device Manager as a "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D2". I'm a bit in panic mode here because I've been working on this setup for a while now and dropped big $ on a 1080ti and other items, now all of the sudden nothing works and I don't know what I did. If someone could help, I'd return the favor (literally).

I've also done quite a bit of research on this setup and since I had it working, I can help others who aren't having this specific issue.

My Current Configuration:

• Late 2016 MBP (Intel 530 i7, RP460) - Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5
  • Akitio Node w/ MSI GTX 970, plugged into top left TB3 port (soon to be EVGA 1080ti)
  • Windows 10 Pro  (Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393)

My Setup Steps (that worked fine before):

1. Install reFind from Mac side (Win boot EFI + spoof OSX Version to 10.9 hack)
  2. Bootcamp Windows 10 in UEFI
  3. Install Windows Support Software (that Bootcamp gives you)
  4. Uninstall Radeon drivers using DDU
  5. Disable the Radeon, its Audio Device & the PCIe x4 bus in Device Manager to free up resources
  6. Install Redistributables required by GPU-Switcher
  7. Run "Integrated.bat" using GPU Switcher
  8. Run the apple_set_os.efi to spoof OS, boot into Windows using reFind
  9. Install latest Intel 530 drivers
  10. Install nVidia drivers
  11. Install latest TB3 drivers to upgrade Akitio firmware

After I did all that (with some trial & error), I was able to do the following almost every time with success:

• Boot into Windows (reFind's EFI option in my case - my legacy option in reFind never has worked, though it doesn't seem I need it)
  • Run "Integrated.bat"
  • Run the apple_set_os.efi to spoof OS, boot into Windows using reFind
  • Plug in eGPU (already powered on) ~2 seconds after Win logo + spinner appears
  • Full acceleration of internal display works w/ automatic graphics card switching as long as you have the latest nVidia drivers
  • Run "Dedicated.bat" if I plan on going back to the Mac side or not using the eGPU on next boot

I just purchased an nVidia GSYNC LCD and in trying to get all this working, I ended up with Windows no longer detecting my eGPU (as mentioned above). I was not able to get the external LCD working at all yet, but that's problem #2 I'll address after I fix this. This is what I recall doing to try to get the LCD to work, which in turn messed up something:

• As a last resort, I disabled the Intel 530 display adapter (stupidly while in Windows) and it crashed, but worked again on next boot. I re-enabled it, but now I have this no eGPU issue.

Things I've done to try to fix this so far (without success):

1. Tried Restore Points (all failed to restore)
  2. Tried Startup Repair (failed)
  3. Did a Full PC Reset, keeping personal files and re-setup everything mentioned in "My Setup Steps" (did not fix the issue)
  4. Tried all TB ports (no success, shows up as a TB Controller on the left ports, not at all on right ports)
  5. Tried reverting Windows Updates that ran recently (no success)

Other Details:

• In looking at my Windows version to make this post, I realized that Windows is in UEFI mode, which may be correct, but I never thought to check when it was working. Should it say EFI, or is UEFI correct?
  • I'm currently using the latest apple_set_os.efi). I've read elsewhere that reFind's OSX spoof stopped working around OSX 10.12.3/4.
  • iGPU shows up and works fine after running integrated.bat before restart
  • This all worked for me last night (7/13) and I've been running 10.12.5 since 7/9, so I have a feeling I messed something up at a boot level somehow by disabling the Intel 530 earlier.
  • Everything works fine on the Mac side with External LCD, so Akitio is working

TL;DR - Problem Re-cap:

1. eGPU won't show in Device Manager anymore - Shows up as "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D2" - Windows running in UEFI mode
  2. reFind's Win EFI + Spoof OSX Hack worked last night (7/13)
  3. In trying to get my external LCD to work today, I disabled the Intel 530, crash, restart, re-enable, realizing it didn't help
  4. reFind's Win EFI boot option still boots, iGPU shows up and works but System Info says Win is in UEFI mode, all seems well except eGPU issue
  5. * Assuming it had something to do with Item #3 directly above

If anyone has thoughts on this, please let me know. I'm in very deep now and need to get this working (even if it kills me lol). If I fix this before I get a reply, I will post my solution in case anyone else has this issue (like @Jenubis).

Side Note: I'm "very" passionate about getting this MBP + Akitio + Internal/External Display setup working, and eventually working as flawlessly as possible, and I am a web software developer, so I'm very open and interested in participating in this eGPU community as we progress, so if anyone can help me fix my screw-up, I will return the favor for sure.

UPDATE (7/14): After researching more to better understand UEFI, apple_set_os.efi, etc, I updated some of my lingo to be less confusing to those who understand it better than me. Still need help lol.

UPDATE (7/16): After installing the 1080ti and playing with eGPU hot-plugging timing, I was able to get the GPU working again. Strangely, I'm no longer able to hot-plug the eGPU ~1-2 seconds after the Windows Logo/Spinner. MY window is about ~.5-1 secs after I click on the Windows Bootloader option. The external LCD also works now w/ full G-SYNC support. Remaining challenges listed below if you guys have input.

Remaining Challenges:

- Passmark Graphics Mark score is only 8184, when I believe the average on a normal rig is ~13,400. GPU-Z states the 1080ti is running on PCIe x16 3.0 @ x4 1.1 and shows up under the x8 PCIe Controller in Device Manager. It seems to me that it's not properly running at x16. Does anyone know if this is true and how to fix it?

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote