Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro + RX Vega56@32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 [theitsage]  

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
January 2, 2018 4:02 pm  

System specs:

Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro - i7-6700HQ/Radeon Pro 450 dGPU/HD Graphics 530 iGPU/16GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Razer Core V2 + Radeon RX Vega 56 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

macOS 10.13.2 - It was plug and play so nothing to report here.

Windows 10 1709 - I performed the same procedure as detailed in my Boot Camp setup guide. With the latest W10 Fall Creator Update, only PCI Express X16 Controller - 1901 to the dGPU needs to be disabled in order to resolve error 12. This is an improvement over older W10 versions which required both PCIe bridges to dGPU and left Thunderbolt 3 ports disabled for AMD eGPU to work.

Benchmarks:

I ran AIDA64 with nothing attached to the expansion ports to get a baseline of bandwidth (left). I ran ATTO benchmark on an USB SSD attached to the USB port of the Razer Core V2 then ran AIDA64 at the same time (right). You can see they are sharing bandwidth through a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Here are some benchmark numbers for this eGPU setup. They were run in internal display (left) and external monitor (right).

Comments:

I use this eGPU with my 15" MBP in internal display mode only. It's been very reliable booting up with rEFInd. The dGPU remains disabled and iGPU attached to the internal display even when I boot it up without eGPU connected. If you experiencing flickering issues when there's no power source connected to the laptop, change the Intel Graphics setting to not use power saving.

Radeon drivers in Windows are getting better for external graphics use. With this pairing, I see very minimal loss using the internal display vs. external monitor. If you plan on using an AMD eGPU with an external monitor on a TB3 15" MBP, instead of disabling the PCIe 1901 - Radeon dGPU, try disabling PCIe Controller 1905 - left TB3 ports instead. This means you'll only able to use the right TB3 ports for eGPU and other peripherals. What you'll gain is ease of switching between macOS and Windows.

Edited: 5 months  ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

51 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Jax
 Jax
(@jax)
January 7, 2018 11:58 pm  

Have you used this setup in MacOS? Any benchmarks?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
January 8, 2018 12:35 am  

Unfortunately I didn't have time to run benchmarks in macOS prior to sending the media sample back to Razer.

ReplyQuote
sooj
 sooj
(@sooj)
May 14, 2018 1:22 pm  

Hi there,

I have a similar set up to you:

mid 2017 15" MacBook Pro - i7-7820HQ/Radeon Pro 560 dGPU/HD Graphics 630 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

- that was previously hooked up to an Akitio Node Pro + nVidia 1080 GTX Ti egpu, which I managed to get working in Windows 10 (1709) via Bootcamp using your set up guide (thank you for such well detailed steps that even a total noob such as I could follow!)

However, since recently changing my egpu enclosure to Razer's Core V2 (circumstances forced my hand, otherwise if it ain't broke... right?), the set up no longer works 🙁

In windows, the eGPU fans are still humming along as if the card is being used; it is still detected, appearing in device manager, but now the applications (e.g. games) are using the internal display attached iGPU instead of switching to use the eGPU - evidenced by how hard the macbook's own fans start blowing upon loading up Crysis (not to mention its absence from the nVidia GPU Activity app in the system tray).

I haven't changed anything else besides the enclosures; I've looked for extra drivers or workarounds that might be needed to force usage of the eGPU to no avail...

-help please?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
May 14, 2018 2:14 pm  

@sooj When changing the enclosure, I'd recommend using DDU to completely uninstall the graphics drivers. Once your MacBook Pro can communicate with the new enclosure, manually installing the drivers will make it work.

ReplyQuote