late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP460 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + WIN 10 Pro [koorelle]  

RSS

koorelle
(@koorelle)
December 21, 2017 4:48 am  

System specs

Late-2016 15″ MacBook Pro | i7-6920HQ  | 16GB RAM | 2TB SSD  |  RP460

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

OS Build 15063.786

Ver.1703

teamviewer start at login

eGPU hardware

AKiTiO Node Pro + GTX 1080Ti FE

Display HW

Left MBP 15" x8 pcie type C port + 50cm TB3 type c cable ---->  NODE PRO type C port

LG Ultra Fine 5K + 1m TB3 type c cable ------> NODE PRO another type C  port

GTX 1080 Ti + DELL 2716D (EDID Emulator) ------- > NODE PRO 4 lane PCI Express 3.0 compliant interface

I can confirm success (by click bootcamp volume on Mac Startup Manager then plug in eGpu quickly)

You can get NODE Pro to work at first boot or two it doesn’t matter

When the Window Circle spin to hold it is a good sign for successful activating Nvidia Driver

just wait for it.

keynote:

you can acquire your self a reboot via disconnect GTX1080 Ti and reconnect it in the devices manager under win 10.

Hardware pictures

Benchmarks

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Flint Ironstag, goalque, Linfeng Zhao and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@linfeng_zhao)
December 23, 2017 11:47 am  

That’s great! I’m planning to buy one.

By the way, do you have any test of using internal display? I have an UltraFine 4K display but sometimes maybe I will just use internal display.

Also,  does Node Pro support macOS? I’d like to use deep learning framework, which is mostly done in macOS.

Thanks a lot 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
koorelle
(@koorelle)
December 23, 2017 12:35 pm  

macOS do work as long as you follow in 

csrutil disable / enable procedure

[SCRIPT]

automate-eGPU.sh

macOS eGPU installation tool 

by goalque

And something like this.

https://github.com/KhaosT/tb3-enabler

chmod +x drag your own tb3-enabler.py

sudo drag your own tb3-enabler.py apply

when you complete implementation

then

most important of all

shutdown your mac and disconnect eGPU

1.NML boot into your macOS with nvidia driver enabled

2.log out

3.plug in your eGPU

4.wait

5.when display ready you will know

OR AT THE VERY MOMENT

hot re-plug egpu to initial system failure restart

force mbp to recognize your egpu

6.log in 

7.if something weird teamviewer is your option

result new by AUTO CPU fan speed

ReplyQuote
NocturnusAnime
(@nocturnusanime)
December 29, 2017 8:10 pm  

Did you have to do anything before plugging the egpu in such as the efi boot thing or was it straight plug and play into bootcamp? Another question I have is that can you plug anything into the other usb c ports and not cause windows to reboot into Mac? That happens with my Sonnet Breakaway where I can use my egpu (1080ti) plug and play style but as soon as I plug anything else into another port (an external ssd on my Mac or usb hub) windows crashes and reboots into MacOS. My MBP is the same as yours completely up to date. I just intend to use the egpu when I’m on external display as I don’t care about internal display until apple patches that in since the whole efiboot thing can actually void your warranty. I’m only interested in using the egpu for boot camp since I don’t have an external AMD card for MacOS since AMD works better for Macs.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 31, 2017 3:36 pm  

@koorelle thanks for the post.  How's the noise on this?

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
koorelle
(@koorelle)
January 1, 2018 8:04 pm  

I use all port of my mbp 2016 

Right Side 4x pcie type c

CASA Hub A01 USB 3.1 Type C 6 port

Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Dock

Left Side 8x pcie type c

Akitio Node Pro

CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 3

When I want to reboot BootCamp  ( It means the whole system  work before, you got Nvidia driver installed and so on  )

(The recent portable Windows KB4056891 security update 

It reboot with no action needed )

1. ShutDown MBP

Disconnect Node Pro

( external display was connected to graphic card aka 1080 Ti)

let the others port on MBP plugged  

LG Ultra Fine was disconnect from Node Pro at this point

2. Hold Alt key to get into Boot Disk Selection  Menu      

3.  click BootCamp drive and plugin Node Pro 

in one sec 

4. if you can see the window circle spin to hold

it is a good sign for loading Nvidia Driver

5. wait for it 

6.  if nothing happened 

login teamviewer to check 

7...The new approch will be something like ......

( Recommend Use Teamviewer to operate below )

The initial condition in mind     

1. Boot camp control panel select bootcamp start disk  

2. Teamviewer work

3. You can on /off  GTX 1080 Ti  driver in Device manager

4. You can on / off  Radeon Pro 460 driver in Device manager

5. In 

Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings\

Change settings that are currently unavailable----->

unclick  Turn on fast startup

NOTE    #1 :  recognize  GTX 1080 Ti  first

( LG Ultra Fine unplugged  as mentioned )

If GTX 1080 Ti was already work ( which means the external display  plug in 1080Ti work  )

Click OFF  Radeon Pro 460 driver ONLY

and go to step  #2 B

A.   In Device Manager  

Click off    GTX 1080 Ti  driver

Click off     Radeon Pro 460 driver    

Click   ON    GTX 1080 Ti  driver   

( System want  you to reboot  ,      Fine  reboot it   Because yo got good chance       with GTX 1080 Ti  fuctional   as it should be )            

If  GTX 1080 Driver Not Show up And Nvidia Control Panel Not show up on Desktop

It will again need to restart from Boot Disk select menu  and plug in Node Pro Again ( In one sec )

Because Radeon Pro 460 Driver Now is Off you can't see build in screen and LG Ultra fine which unplugged

#2 :  recognize LG Ultra Fine later

B.   Plug In LG Ultra Fine to Node Pro ( Windows will restart )

COn Windows Desk Top  to check Nvidia control panel whether or not show up again

D. In Device Manager Click On  Radeon Pro 460 driver  ( LG Utra Fine should work at this point )

ReplyQuote
koorelle
(@koorelle)
January 1, 2018 8:51 pm  

Graphic Card noise it depend

As for the Node Pro because its fans were under the chassis so noise of  

Node Pro

doesn't really concern me.

ReplyQuote
ethanx94
(@ethanx94)
January 11, 2018 9:39 pm  

I’m having the same reboot issue. According to this guy on YouTube the usb devices need to be plugged in prior to booting. However I don’t have to disable any downstream thunderbolt ports like he did. If I plug in prior to booting it freezes. If I plug in while it’s booted it crashes and reboots.

Edit: Following his video again I was able to make progress.

This time I'm using the lower left TB3 for the Node Pro, while the upper right is going to my monitor which acts as a 4 port USB hub. I have a keyboard, mouse, and SSD plugged in with no issue. If I unplug from my hub there are no reboots.

I had to make sure I disabled two downstream ports in the device manger for this also. (See attached)

I guess they are the ones with no dropdown arrows.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
greenchapter
(@greenchapter)
March 18, 2018 8:18 pm  

I'm also interested in more information about the combination MacBook Pro 13" LG UltraFine 5K and Akitio Node Pro.

Did you tested it with macOS 10.13.4 beta?
Need I something like a HDMI Dongle?

ReplyQuote
Kennyngo
(@kennyngo)
July 3, 2018 1:25 pm  

I am a newbe. And my system is:
MBP 2017 - 7th generation
Node Pro
Strix geforce 1060 OC

I stuck at how to setup the system with Win 10 bootcamp - please send me a link which can guide me step by step. There are many way which is for 13 MBP but will not for 15. Many thanks and appreciate. One more thing, I don't have an external monitor/

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
July 4, 2018 3:36 am  
Posted by: greenchapter

I'm also interested in more information about the combination MacBook Pro 13" LG UltraFine 5K and Akitio Node Pro.

Did you tested it with macOS 10.13.4 beta?
Need I something like a HDMI Dongle?

He said the LG UltraFine 5K display was connected to the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Akitio Node Pro. This means the LG UltraFine 5K is connected to the dGPU of the MacBook Pro through the Thunderbolt chain.

To connect the LG UltraFine 5K to the eGPU would require adding a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card with two DisplayPort inputs. If the computer does not have support for the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card then only video will work (not the USB ports, camera, audio, or brightness control).

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mois
 mois
(@mois)
Trusted Member
August 2, 2018 10:32 am  

@koorelle, looking back now, do you think the 1080Ti on the Node Pro is perfectly responsive, fast, and stable?

ReplyQuote
koorelle
(@koorelle)
August 2, 2018 11:29 am  

The system go through shutdown and restart after dozen update surprisingly stable ;

without plug-out,plug-in
it just work.

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_martin)
September 14, 2018 4:18 pm  

@koorelle I've been reading through all of your directions and advice.  I have a very similar setup:

2017 15″ MacBook Pro | i7-7920HQ | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | RP560 
Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Akitio Node Pro w/Nvidia GTX 1080 (connected to MacBook Protop left TB3 Port from top TB3 Port on Node Pro)
LG Ultrafine External Monitor - Connected to bottom TB3 Port in back of Node Pro

Following some of your reboot and hotplug instructions, I now have the Nvidia card recognized (latest drivers installed) in Bootcamp-- it shows both the RP560 and Nvidia GTX 1080 as active cards in Device Manager, and the Nvidia Control Panel is present when I right click on the home screen (although I cannot run it since it says I have no display connected to the this GPU).  

However, I cannot seem to activate or use the Nvidia 1080 no matter what I do-- it is only using the RP560.  I have tried disabling the RP560, and also deactivating PCIExpress ports that are not in use... without success.  

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!  I feel like I am close!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
September 15, 2018 10:54 am  
Posted by: koorelle

GTX 1080 Ti + DELL 2716D (EDID Emulator) ------- > NODE PRO 4 lane PCI

Did you use a EDID Emulator or a DELL 2716D or both? Do you mean to say that a display or a EDID Emulator should be connected directly to the GTX 1080 Ti? The setup doesn't work without a display or a EDID Emulator? If you used an EDID Emulator, which model was it?

Posted by: Ryan Martin

@koorelle I've been reading through all of your directions and advice.  I have a very similar setup:

2017 15″ MacBook Pro | i7-7920HQ | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | RP560 
Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Akitio Node Pro w/Nvidia GTX 1080 (connected to MacBook Protop left TB3 Port from top TB3 Port on Node Pro)
LG Ultrafine External Monitor - Connected to bottom TB3 Port in back of Node Pro

Following some of your reboot and hotplug instructions, I now have the Nvidia card recognized (latest drivers installed) in Bootcamp-- it shows both the RP560 and Nvidia GTX 1080 as active cards in Device Manager, and the Nvidia Control Panel is present when I right click on the home screen (although I cannot run it since it says I have no display connected to the this GPU).  

However, I cannot seem to activate or use the Nvidia 1080 no matter what I do-- it is only using the RP560.  I have tried disabling the RP560, and also deactivating PCIExpress ports that are not in use... without success.  

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!  I feel like I am close!

It says you have no display connected to the the GPU because you connected the display to the Thunderbolt port which is connected to the dGPU of the MacBook Pro - not the GPU of the eGPU.

If you want an eGPU that connects a Thunderbolt display to the GPU of the eGPU, then the only option is a Blackmagic eGPU or to use the Thunderbolt add-in card method.

You did not specify 4K or 5K for the LG Ultrafine. You would have better support for the 4K if you use a PCIe card like the Sunix UPD2018 in a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion box. It would then let you use the USB functionality of the 4K display (audio, brightness control, USB ports, etc). A Thunderbolt add-in card will work for 4K and is required for 5K but in both cases there will be no USB functionality for the display.

If you mean to use the Nvidia card only for compute (CUDA?), then I think your current setup should work but I don't know for sure.

ReplyQuote
koorelle
(@koorelle)
September 15, 2018 1:56 pm  

Posted by: koorelle

GTX 1080 Ti + DELL 2716D (EDID Emulator) ------- > NODE PRO 4 lane PCI

Posted by: joevt
Did you use a EDID Emulator or a DELL 2716D or both? Do you mean to say that a display or a EDID Emulator should be connected directly to the GTX 1080 Ti? The setup doesn't work without a display or a EDID Emulator? If you used an EDID Emulator, which model was it?

I use BEDIDHDMI4K as a Emulator and  plug in GTX 1080 Ti
Since I emulate BEDIDHDMI4K as Dell 2716D so either one will work
and yes , this setup  doesn't work without a display or a EDID Emulator.

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_martin)
September 15, 2018 8:31 pm  

Thank you-- Can you point me to the Thunderbolt add-in card method?     Yes it is a 5K ultrafine and I am ok if the USB (or Thunderbolt ports) on the monitor are not useable.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
September 16, 2018 12:54 pm  
Posted by: Ryan Martin

Can you point me to the Thunderbolt add-in card method?     Yes it is a 5K ultrafine and I am ok if the USB (or Thunderbolt ports) on the monitor are not useable.

First, you need a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card with two DisplayPort inputs. Either the Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE, the ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC, or the MSI THUNDERBOLT M3. Gigabyte has a GC-TITAN RIDGE but it might require more power and hasn't been tested yet.

Second, you need a PCIe slot to power the add-in card. This could be one in a desktop PC that has a spare PCIe slot, a Thunderbolt 3 expansion box, or a PCIe riser (like those used in crypto currency mining). The riser might not work (it didn't with the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, but someone else said it did with the ASRock). I've also used the IT-GO "ADP-099-31" which is like the riser but provides two slots and comes with an enclosure.

Then all you have to do is connect the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card to the GPU with the two included short DisplayPort cables. You may need longer or different (mini or not mini) DisplayPort cables. Connect the LG UltraFine 5K display to one of the add-in card's Thunderbolt 3 ports.

For brightness control, you might be able to use an app or command line to send brightness control commands via DDC/CI (over DisplayPort). I believe people have stated this works, but the DDC/CI support of the LG display is a little broken, in that it won't report the current brightness correctly?

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_martin)
September 16, 2018 3:23 pm  

Wow-- ok, did not realize this would be so involved-- would I be better off with Blackmagic eGPU ?  I can still return the Akitio Node Pro.  I appreciate all your input!  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
toandang
(@toandang)
November 28, 2018 4:11 am  

I am stuck with my Node Pro. I have followed multi ways on this forum but no success.
On MacOS:

- Disable macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP)
automate-eGPU git:(master) csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.
- NVIDIA Web Driver for MAC: 387.10.10.10.40.108
➜  automate-eGPU git:(master) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh
Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected.
- Boot with EFI from this support: https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi/releases
=> No eGPU detected when it boot using EFI.
On windows Bootcamp:
- Installed NVIDIA Web driver: install latest driver using GeForce_Experience_v3.15.0.186.exe. It also recognize Akitio Node Pro but no device connected
On XPS 15 9560 running windows 10: Setup latest driver

Version 416.94 - WHQL

but no lucky.  No device connected.
The lamp on card is on when I connected to TB3 on the left of MAC.
I appreciate all your help.
Thanks,

ReplyQuote
toandang
(@toandang)
November 30, 2018 7:01 am  

I waste my time with Node Pro a lot....
Today, I have just test with MacBook Pro 2018, MacOS High Sierra, EVGA 1080 Ti with all scripts above (automate-eGPU, purge-wrangler, EFI) but no success. It cannot detect eGPU device. 
I have summit ticket to Akitio but no response (3 days). There is no word to say....

ReplyQuote