late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS10.12 & Win10 [marcjoe]  

RSS

marcjoe
(@marcjoe)
August 19, 2017 5:05 am  

Hi,

I am pretty new to the forum but am reading and gathering info from your site for about 2 months. To finally to be able to play battlegrounds at decent fps I decided to take the leap and try an eGPU.

This is with a late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar 2,9 Ghz i5 8Gb RAM .

OS X Implementation:

This was pretty straightforward in Sierra using goalques automate-eGPU.sh script. Just connected the Breakaway Box, ran the script and restarted. That was it. Benchmarks were awesome!

Windows Bootcamp:

I used an already installed Windows Version (UEFI Boot) with the latest Creators Update. At first I wasn't´t able to enter windows with the Box connected at any point at all, tried different methods - it always ended with the OS crashing and rebooting. I then quickly resolved to the  apple_set_os.efi from goalque. I created the stick, booted into windows with the eGPU plugged in right from the beginning and it worked. I downloaded drivers and installed them. meanwhile the OS crashed two times, don´t know why exactly. But after driver installation I didn't have to do anything else - it just worked (no need to disable specific pci-bridges or so).

Played pubg - before eGPU I had around 15-20 fps with 720p downscaled. Now with low to Medium details it runs with 60fps at 1080p full resolution! Awesome!

Since the Drivers are installed I had no more crashes. The eGPU works on external and internal monitor, I haven´t had the time yet to do windows benchmarks, but as soon as I am able I will post them here.

I also had an audio issue, but by deactivating and reactivating the drivers I can get sound back most of the time.

Thanks so much for all your untited work here, without you guys I would have never been able to do this!

Marcus (a happy eGPU user from Germany)

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS & Win10

ppm and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
gkrangers17
(@gkrangers17)
October 20, 2017 5:06 pm  

I'm going to have the same setup...Late 2016 Touchbar 13" + GTX 970 + Sonnet 350. The Sonnet arrives today, so I'll be trying this later. I already ugpraded to High Sierra, so I'm going to try my Windows 10 first. I may reinstall Sierra, too. I'll update this thread with my progress since I have the same config. The only difference is that I have the upgraded i7 and 16GB RAM 13".

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
gkrangers17
(@gkrangers17)
October 21, 2017 11:32 am  

Works like a dream in Windows 10. All I did was plugin the eGPU after Windows boot logo, install the latest drivers, and good to go. No scripts or other hacks. I haven't tried booting with it plugged in yet, though.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote