2016 15" Macbook Pro RP455 + AMD [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 [bxz] // External Monitor  

RSS

bxz
 bxz
(@bxz)
April 1, 2018 12:09 am  

This is my first post here, just like to share my experience so more people can benefit the result.
Some background: I wanna use my 15" 2016 MBP playing VR game. After some research, I found out I need the eGPU for more video processing power. After googling around I found this website and read some guide on bootcamp win10 + eGPU possibility. 

The following is my experience, I didn't use any complicated boot profile, no extra bat file to run, didn't turn off dGPU either as I'm using external monitor.

1) Install bootcamp and win10 ( I made a mistake allocating too small for win10 initially, MacOS default at 50G , I have to reinstall bootcamp/win10 and allocated 250G for Win10 games)
2) After some research, I bought the Akitio Node Pro. It's built quality is top notched, outside color is close to my space gray MBP.
3) For video card, thx for the Bitcoin mania, no way am I able to buy a $700 Nvidia or AMD card anywhere. I finally bought a used AMD VEGA 64 from ebay for $600, good deal right?
4) Put everything together and disabled one of the TB PCI bus 1905, connect the Akitio on the right side MBP TB port, Done!

I was going to upload some pics on the setup, but didn't find a way here! Will try some flickr link later.

Cheers!
BTW, I'm using the Samsung Odyssey, the experience is fantastic!

[img] [/img] [img] [/img] [img] [/img] [img] [/img]

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

mois and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@mcbanjo)
July 9, 2018 5:54 am  

Can you confirm that the PSU is large enough for this card and you're not getting any unexpected shutdowns? I just bought the Node Pro and a Sapphire AMD Vega 64 (non-Nitro+ version, looks like the AMD reference card). 500W looks to be enough...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mois
 mois
(@mois)
Trusted Member
July 29, 2018 2:54 pm  

@bxz, now 3 months later, how fast, smooth and stable is the Akitio Node Pro as a Vega 64 eGPU in your experience? Please share!!

ReplyQuote
bxz
 bxz
(@bxz)
July 30, 2018 5:37 pm  

not one shut down so far, runs very good, i play war thunder mostly in max video quality.

ReplyQuote
radcraig
(@radcraig)
November 19, 2018 10:08 pm  
Posted by: McBanjo

Can you confirm that the PSU is large enough for this card and you're not getting any unexpected shutdowns? I just bought the Node Pro and a Sapphire AMD Vega 64 (non-Nitro+ version, looks like the AMD reference card). 500W looks to be enough...

@mcbanjo I just bought the same card and was considering the Node Pro. I was also concerned about the 500W. Have you had any problems with your build so far? thanks!

ReplyQuote