late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (Powercolor Devil Box) + Win10 [confidantduck]^  

RSS

confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 6, 2017 2:31 pm  

Managed to get the powercolor devil box to work with a 980! (gigabyte geforce gtx 980 4gb windforce 3x oc edition)

As expected code 12 was rearing it's head again but the first step in the code 12 guide fixed it.

Kinda, there currently is no sound, can't be hot plugged(I can plug out without the mac dying but plugging it in results in the same effect as inserting a tb3 peripheral) and inserting any extra TB3 peripherals while the egpu in plugged in will get the mbp to crash with the BSOD that many others have been reporting.(blue screen with random white artifacts at the bottom followed by the crash)

Currently for now, both internal and external screens work with hardware acceleration working on both(of course it'd still be better to leave it to the external monitor). unihaven ran great on it.

Things to noted:

- The GTX 980's drivers from nvidia's website(not just the automatic update from windows) were installed before attempting the code 12 fix.

- Boot/reboot time takes much longer than usual(around 1 min+?)

- It seems to work only with the rear left TB3 port.

-Every half a minute or so, any user input (mouse movement, typing(experiencing it right now as I am typing)) seems to be ceased for half a second, it's almost like input lag or something and it's rather odd. Suffice to say, it'll be annoying as hell if it was happening in a fps game.

^seems that it only occurs when I am exclusively using the external monitor, doesn't happen when the screens are duplicated.

Anyone got clues on how to get sound back? And on a side note, since the PCIE bridge for the camera had to be disabled to make this work, does it mean we can't use the camera for the rest of the time we intend to use this egpu?

Current setup: Late 2016 Razer Blade Stealth, Powercolour devil box + gtx 1060

Prev setup: 2016 13" MBP (no touchbar)
Powercolor Devil Box + GTX 1060/GTX 980(succeeded somewhat), RX480 Nitro+ 4GB(attempted but failed)

itsmikerofl, goalque, enjoy and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 6, 2017 3:48 pm  

Congratulations on getting a fuss free solution.  Would you mind including some tasty photos of your Devil Box? Without the silver outer cover it looks pretty good . It's 60W charging, SATA, USB and LAN ports make it a comprehensive docking solution.

For your sound issue, refer to the following post explaining how to use devcon to disable then re-enable sound as a script:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/tmbp-13-razer-core-gtx-1060-questions/#post-1852

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 6, 2017 4:00 pm  

Thanks! Will upload them soon!

Was looking at that exact post and managed to get it to work! Awesome, I just have no idea how to do that batch file you mentioned(forgive my cluelessness)

"If happy with results, create a batch file that does this, copy it to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup and check it run through OK with  Group Policy Editor (win+r, gpedit.msc) -> Computer configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts->Startup"

-nando4

It'll contain the 3 command lines used in the guide like:        

cd \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64
devcon disable *audio*
devon enable *audio*

open text editor, put those 3 lines in and save it as .BAT?

Powercolor Devil Box + GTX 1060/GTX 980(succeeded somewhat), RX480 Nitro+ 4GB(attempted but failed)

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 8, 2017 8:41 am  

@nando4 any comment on the above? I did want to put the batch file into the startup folder but the directory doesn't seem to exit, is there any other way?

update to the system: my previous 980(was borrowing it from a friend) has been swapped with a 1060 and it behaves in the exact same way as the 980.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 8, 2017 9:16 am  

@confidantduck, if you don't have Win10 Pro then those group policy startup/shutdown directories don't exist. Use the task scheduler instead to auto-start your batch file: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/autostart-programs-windows-10-make

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 13, 2017 6:18 am  

@confidantduck, @dsaul has written a superb guide on how to use devcon to automatically enable the problematic sound on startup. See it at https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-macbook-13-tb-akitio-thunder3-evga-gtx-1060-6gb/#post-2614

There's also a problem with Powercolor Devil Boxes with specific firmware as reported by starunj here, quoted below.

we have figured out that there are two possible versions of the DevilBox. His was from the launch period of October / November 2016 and mine was ordered in January 2017. His device (that does work), is reported as "TUL Thunderbolt 3, DSL6540" and my device is reported as "TUL, DEVILBOX" when you go into the Thunderbolt Software to see the attached devices. This could be the reason why it no longer works with the Dell XPS 9550 on NVM16.

My guess is, possible combinations that could work:

Dell XPS 9550 on NVM15 with the DevilBox reporting as "TUL, DEVILBOX"

Dell XPS 9550 on NVM16 with the DevilBox report as "TUL Thunderbolt 3, DSL6540"

Would you checking which version your Devil Box is reporting in Intel's Thunderbolt software, even pasting a screenshot? This will help users to either confidently buy this unit, seek out a specific version or maybe steer clear until the issue has been resolved.

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 16, 2017 10:53 am  

Hey nando4, 

I'd love to and I'll do so as soon as I get my devilbox working again. For unobserved reasons, the box stopped working, this time the entire box is undetected and none of the ports on it work. System doesn't even detect the connection to any thunderbolt 3 device both on mac and windows and attempting to plug the thunderbolt cable in at the right time doesn't work either. 

Really odd since I've been enjoying it well ever since my last update. Will keep this thread updated.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 19, 2017 4:37 am  

I've been trying to do the other tutorials in the guides posted here(the ones pertaining to undetected gpu's), it seems that the system doesn't even detect that I've connected a thunderbolt device(in macOS) and nothing is showing up in windows10 too, not sure if I'm doing something wrong or somehow possibly fried my devil box. (the whole issue started after I had difficulty turning the computer on and did a hard reboot via the power key)

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
February 28, 2017 11:19 am  

Hey nando4,

Finally got it to work again (HURRAH) , and although I completely reformatted my computer on both the mac and windows side, it seems that:

switching the wire the other way around(seriously?) +

removing a usb powered laptop fan tray from the devil box +

powering it up from the Devil box's psu while the cable was connected were the actions that immediately preceded it being detected. I have no idea how that just worked but it did.

Was this the picture you were looking for?

ReplyQuote
yoshiwaan
(@yoshiwaan)
March 1, 2017 6:49 am  

How noisy is the Devilbox? Seen a few complaints and fan mods. I'm not generally sensitive to the noise but if it sounds like an enterprise grade rack server then I might have issues, so looking for some feedback.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member
March 1, 2017 6:52 am  
Posted by: yoshiwaan

How noisy is the Devilbox? Seen a few complaints and fan mods. I'm not generally sensitive to the noise but if it sounds like an enterprise grade rack server then I might have issues, so looking for some feedback.

Just replied to your Reddit comment 😌

I'm not sure if it's just the Devil Box, or the combination of that plus my EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid, but mine is very, very noisy.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
March 3, 2017 1:25 pm  

It's... pretty noisy. Like, enough to annoy other members on team chat because of the hum (my box is right behind my mac).

If music is playing I could forget about it but I can't leave it alone and go to sleep because the hum doesn't allow me to.

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member
March 3, 2017 8:07 pm  

@confidantduck

Have you updated the firmware on your Devil Box to the firmware that PowerColor has given people through FaceBook?

I got my Devil Box working through the Code 12 DSDT override, but after updating the Devil Box's firmware, Windows refuses to boot with the Devil Box connected.

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
March 5, 2017 6:10 am  

@itsmikerofl

Not yet, will do soon!

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member
March 5, 2017 2:31 pm  
Posted by: confidantduck

@itsmikerofl

Not yet, will do soon!

Sounds good, keep me posted. I figured out that although the boot hangs if connected, connecting the Thunderbolt 3 cable ~1sec after the Windows logo appears will yeild the full boot, (around 2min).

For me, hot-plugging still results in a system crash with BSOD.

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
March 6, 2017 11:36 am  

@itsmikerofl

Hey man, just done with it.

So fresh off from the installation, both screen flashes intermittently and devil box goes quiet. Checking device manager mentions that the connected peripherals have experienced POWER FAILURE <- yea, in caps, sorry didn't recognise the error number.

Restarting with the cable plugged in (as you mentioned. doesn't work), ironically I could restart with the cable plugged in previously and now I can't, oh the irony.

Audio issue wasn't fixed either sooo I guess it didn't really do much, still extremely relieved that it actually still works (phew)

Complete other side note, just in case I didn't mention it before.

Audio actually works (without trying to fix it) if the external monitor(I only have one) is connected to an external audio source(speaker/earphone). So it goes like Computer -> TB3 -> Devil Box -> Hdmi cable -> aux in of the monitor -> Speaker/Earphone.

itsmikerofl liked
ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member
March 6, 2017 3:48 pm  

@itsmikerofl

Hey man, just done with it.

So fresh off from the installation, both screen flashes intermittently and devil box goes quiet. Checking device manager mentions that the connected peripherals have experienced POWER FAILURE <- yea, in caps, sorry didn't recognise the error number.

Restarting with the cable plugged in (as you mentioned. doesn't work), ironically I could restart with the cable plugged in previously and now I can't, oh the irony.

Audio issue wasn't fixed either sooo I guess it didn't really do much, still extremely relieved that it actually still works (phew)

Complete other side note, just in case I didn't mention it before.

Audio actually works (without trying to fix it) if the external monitor(I only have one) is connected to an external audio source(speaker/earphone). So it goes like Computer -> TB3 -> Devil Box -> Hdmi cable -> aux in of the monitor -> Speaker/Earphone.

Thanks for the update!

Looks like the firmware update has treated you just the same as it's treated other MacBook + Devil Box owners.

So far, I can report that I'm in the same startup situation, and sound still needs the sound fix if you're not using another output like you've said.

For me, it looks like I don't need the Code 12 fix anymore, but I'm not positive on that one. I've simply removed the DSDT folder from the C: drive and I'm still able to use the GTX 1080.

@TuringPointSoft has contacted PowerColor in an attempt to see if downgrading the firmware, (or flashing an old version), is possible.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 6, 2017 3:52 pm  

Thank you for reporting success/issues with firmware upgrade on the Devil Box. My guess is firmware downgrade should be possible. I've done it on the AKiTiO Node and the process is the same as upgrade.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
March 8, 2017 1:41 am  

@itsmikerofl

hmm, I haven't removed my previous fix yet, will let you know when I do.

Just an update, hot plugging kinda got better? When I pull the plug while the system is still on my mac doesn't crash anymore. Plugging it back in also does not crash the system, however the egpu doesn't initiate so I still have to restart the system.

@theitsage you're welcome! By the way, how do you downgrade the firmware? Do you use the same firmware flasher to rollback the firmware?

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member
March 8, 2017 2:08 am  

@itsmikerofl

Just an update, hot plugging kinda got better? When I pull the plug while the system is still on my mac doesn't crash anymore. Plugging it back in also does not crash the system, however the egpu doesn't initiate so I still have to restart the system.   

I have limited experience with DSDT overrides, (only from the /r/hackintosh/ community), but so far I've just removed my DSDT folder and I'm booting into BootCamp fine.

I thought it was just me - hot plugging is the same behavior for me as well. As opposed to previously, when hot-plugging would completely crash, (whether it was plug in or unplug). Bear in mind this is only tested under Windows, as the GTX 1080 has no Web Drivers for macOS.

That being said, occasionally when rebooting from BootCamp (using eGPU), to macOS, I see mild artifacting on the LG UltraFine 5K Display. I am unsure if this is a problem in the graphics area, or the display, but it should at least be noted at this point.

ReplyQuote
confidantduck
(@confidantduck)
March 8, 2017 6:02 am  
Posted by: itsmikerofl

@itsmikerofl

I have limited experience with DSDT overrides, (only from the /r/hackintosh/ community), but so far I've just removed my DSDT folder and I'm booting into BootCamp fine.

I thought it was just me - hot plugging is the same behavior for me as well. As opposed to previously, when hot-plugging would completely crash, (whether it was plug in or unplug). Bear in mind this is only tested under Windows, as the GTX 1080 has no Web Drivers for macOS.

That being said, occasionally when rebooting from BootCamp (using eGPU), to macOS, I see mild artifacting on the LG UltraFine 5K Display. I am unsure if this is a problem in the graphics area, or the display, but it should at least be noted at this point.

Noted on that.

Just mentioning that my fix didn't require a dsdt override and just disabling the pcie bridge that contains the webcam solves the code 12 for me.

Just tried removing the fix and it seems that code 12 comes back again, seems that the firmware upgrade didn't alleviate it.

itsmikerofl liked
ReplyQuote