Late 2017 13" Dell XPS 9360 + RX [email protected] (Zotac AMP BOX Mini) + Win10 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 2, 2018 2:43 am  

System specs:

Late 2017 13" Dell XPS 13 9360 - i5-8250U/UHD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Zotac AMP BOX Mini + Radeon RX 580 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Windows 10 1709 - it was plug and play with this setup. What I was more curious to find out is to use a more power power supply with this box. I had a Dell DA-2 power brick with a 5.5mm-2.5mm barrel plug. It fits right into this AMP BOX Mini. The main board requires a 19V source though. When everything is fed through the barrel plug, this enclosure was not stable at all. I then used the barrel plug to power the main board and a 6-pin PCIe cable directly from DA-2 to RX 580. This way, it was more stable.

Benchmarks:

Comments:

This Zotac AMP BOX Mini priced at $220 is a good candidate for those who want to build custom enclosure.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 2, 2018 3:46 am  

Thank you for the great build. Very interesting as here we could be looking at a Thunder3/Node Lite mini-eGPU replacement bettering it with useful features like clearance, power delivery, airflow. Combining it with the cost-effective Dell DA-2 is ideal.

In case others were wondering, the mini ITX RX 580 type is explained here, copied below:

@theitsage wrote:

Thanks to all for your help. This mini ITX is an RX 580. It’s not sold separately by a vendor. You can only find them in select HP desktops. I tested it in a desktop and confirmed it’s an RX 580 4GB. It’s one of the very few RX 580 with a 6-pin connector.

A few questions about the build:

1. The Zotac Box Mini is supplied with a 180W AC adapter and is rated at driving up to power a 150W GPU. Your 6-pin PCIe RX 580 is then rated at 150W. Did you use the 220W Dell DA-2 just as an exercise showing expandability? Was using the supplied 180W AC adapter insufficient to reliably drive your HP mini ITX RX 580?

2. are you completely powering the RX580 with the 12V 220W Dell DA-2? While it has a native 19V input jack, that would be voltage regulated down to 12V/5V/3V to drive the circuitry. Plugging in 12V should not problem, but is it stable?

3. Per a point in one of your articles, the notebook will use the highest available power source to drive it. Meaning, if you plug in the notebook AC adapter, the Zotac Box Mini's 15W PD will be liberated for eGPU use exclusively.  I've see Taobao vendors claim the Dell DA-2 can deliver up to 240W. So 240W-15W for internal TB circuitry would mean 225W for eGPU use.

Consider doing furmark test of the Aorus Gaming Box's mini ITX GTX1080/GTX1070 for stability with these AC adapters. The ability to swap in a AMD or Nvidia card as needed may appeal to some users.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
March 2, 2018 8:34 am  

Case looks great, nice simple aesthetic, wish they had turned it 90 degrees thoguh so it had a smaller footprint, although I guess thermal will be better as it is...

My sonnet works flawlessly but I need something smaller.

Oh also, be nice to see more pics of the enclosure put together... rather than topless/pulled apart.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 12, 2018 2:15 pm  

The main board requires a 19V source though.

You can use a 12v source and use a step-up adapter to provide 19v to the mainboard. That makes using a desktop PSU quite easy, and then the board can be transplanted into a small desktop case.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mois
 mois
(@mois)
Trusted Member
March 13, 2018 4:57 am  

(Slightly off-topic, I'd like to ask you for your card recommendation for the Zotac Amp Mini, please see my question here  https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/zotac-amp-box-mini-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure/#post-31665 .)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote